.408 Chey-tec

rolly

Anybody on here have a rifle in this caliber? Any reviews on it or the guns shooting it? If I had the money, I'd be getting one for fun, but right now, it's not going to happen. Pretty impressive stuff about it. Can't figure out why I only heard about it in the last couple months though. Seems they've been out a few years, 2003, I think.

The 408 is the $h*t for long range accuracy. Many awesome calibers based off that case.
The gunsmith who built my 338 Edge is almost finished with his 375 Chey Tec. It'll be a honest 3000 yard rifle.

I have a good friend that trains shooters for black water and he has one. This was last year when he told me that only 3 civilians had the same rifle he had. He is also an oral surgeon and has a pretty good bank roll. He has lots of neat toys! Lee

.408 is impressive but I would think there is a reason why the .338 LM is the king of the battle field right now, and Ronnie Barret has introduced the new .416 Barret which is still super sonic at 2500 yards.

Chupa

The 408 CheyTac is on it's last legs - getting brass has always been a problem, and they have been through 5 or 6 brass makers, and still can't produce a constant supply of cases.

Also, the lack of bullets are a REAL problem. The bullet maker (Lost River Ballistics) closed their doors and went belly up about a year ago... they were the only maker of the solid bronze bullets that the 408 depended on - without those bullets (or an equivalent) there is no 3,000 yd rifle... just a wall hanger.

None of the other bullet companies (like Sierra, Hornady, etc) were interested in making 408 bullets.

The 416 Barrett has taken the spotlight from the 408, and the 408 will eventually die off.

Quote:
The 408 CheyTac is on it's last legs - getting brass has always been a problem, and they have been through 5 or 6 brass makers, and still can't produce a constant supply of cases.

Also, the lack of bullets are a REAL problem. The bullet maker (Lost River Ballistics) closed their doors and went belly up about a year ago... they were the only maker of the solid bronze bullets that the 408 depended on - without those bullets (or an equivalent) there is no 3,000 yd rifle... just a wall hanger.

None of the other bullet companies (like Sierra, Hornady, etc) were interested in making 408 bullets.

The 416 Barrett has taken the spotlight from the 408, and the 408 will eventually die off.

Well I'll be G.D'd!!! The Catshooter and I agree on something for once! The only thing the .408 will be remembered for is being the weapon of choice for Mark Wahlberg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chupa

Quote:
"... Well I'll be G.D'd!!! The Catshooter and I agree on something for once! The only thing the .408 will be remembered for is being the weapon of choice for Mark Wahlberg "/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chupa

HA!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

It's a pretty awesome cartridge. Chey tec has military contracts. There's also something called a .408 TRS that outperforms both Chey tec and the .416 Barrett. It uses a blown-out, Improved .50BMG spotter case and shoots that same 419gr (bc .950) solid at 3200. The 419gr Clinch River solids are being produced by Hooker Tactical. Bullets aren't a problem.

Quote:
The bullet maker (Lost River Ballistics) closed their doors and went belly up about a year ago... they were the only maker of the solid bronze bullets that the 408 depended on - without those bullets (or an equivalent) there is no 3,000 yd rifle... just a wall hanger.

There still around . I'm not sure if they changed names or sold out , but Hooker Tactical now supplies the bullets. My buddy just bought some of their 338 offerings.

Are there rifles available less than $5000 w/scope for any of these or am I better off getting a 50bmg? My wife says I can get a custom gun and it won't be for years yet, but I want to start planning what to get. I think she thinks I'm getting a nice double barrel shotgun or a mountain rifle, but I'm thinking long range fun gun.

Has anybody wildcatted the 50bmg? Could you neck it down to a .338 or larger .408 or .416 and get some of the other bullets available? Surely there is plenty of brass around for the 50 and bullets have to be available for these other calibers.

Ackman, what's the excitement about this .408TRS? Barrett says the .416 Barrett runs 3200fps with the 400gr slug. Don

Quote:
Ackman, what's the excitement about this .408TRS? Barrett says the .416 Barrett runs 3200fps with the 400gr slug. Don

I don't shoot any of those cartridges. A friend in Idaho does. He's got all kinds of highpower stuff and likes to shoot sniper matches. Also shoots a .338Lapua and a .50BMG. A few years back he and his wizard riflebuilder were talking about different things. They wanted to come up with something that would shoot that same high-bc 419gr bullet as the Chey tec, only faster and flatter. They decided on the .50BMG spotter case. The .50 spotter round uses a considerably shorter version of the .50BMG case to shoot an 870gr bullet with the same trajectory as an 11mm howitzer. They necked that case down to .408, gave it less body taper and a steeper shoulder. It's a beautiful thing, looks like a jumbo Improved case. As of now brass is military surplus but that would change if the military stuff ever became too hard to get. The whole idea behind this was to just beat the 408 Chey tec and use a military .50cal platform. So it shoots the 419gr solid about 300fps faster at 3200.....that bullet has a bc of .950-something depending on altitude and it's still supersonic at 2500yds. These things aren't cheap to shoot. A barrel chambered and fitted costs something like $800-$900. Brass costs about $2.00 each, bullets are about $2.50 each, and 1lb of powder only lasts for 35rounds at 200gr per shot. Plus it takes a .50cal press, expensive dies, and .50cal primers. Barrett later came out with their own version in .416....uses a slightly lighter bullet with slightly less bc, and it's also terrific.

Quote:
"... The .50 spotter round uses a considerably shorter version of the .50BMG case to shoot an 870gr bullet with the same trajectory as an 11mm howitzer.

Actually, it was a spotter round developed for the 57mm and 106mm Recoilless rifles.

There is no such thing as a 11mm howitzer (55 caliber howitzer???)... and howitzers don't use spotter rounds.

Have a nice day.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
"... The .50 spotter round uses a considerably shorter version of the .50BMG case to shoot an 870gr bullet with the same trajectory as an 11mm howitzer.

Actually, it was a spotter round developed for the 57mm and 106mm Recoilless rifles.

There is no such thing as a 11mm howitzer (55 caliber howitzer???)... and howitzers don't use spotter rounds.

Have a nice day.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok. I meant 111, that's what he told me. Also said he meant recoilless. And it doesn't matter anyway, they're not using it for that. They searched around and found the right case, from a spotter round....and they made it into a sniper cartridge. But thanks anyhow.

Is it worth getting into all the super duper expensive stuff or should I go with a 338 LM or 338 Edge or something to that effect? I want to be able to shoot 1000-1500 yds, but beyond that no. I want a gun that I can afford to shoot too, even though learning this long range toy stuff isn't going to be cheap anyhow I look at it....

Quote:
Is it worth getting into all the super duper expensive stuff or should I go with a 338 LM or 338 Edge or something to that effect? I want to be able to shoot 1000-1500 yds, but beyond that no. I want a gun that I can afford to shoot too, even though learning this long range toy stuff isn't going to be cheap anyhow I look at it....

338 LM, 338 RUM , or the 338 Edge will easily get you to 2000 yards Rolly. The Lapua will be the most expensive out of the three to shoot. The 338 RUM will do anything the Edge will do and maybe easier to produce ammo compared to necking up 300 RUM brass for the Edge.
I'd go with a Rem 700 action(trued), 28-30" barrel. Get a good trigger and a properly bedded stock and your in business.
I know a hell of a smith here in Montana. Pm me if your interested.
Shooting long range is addicting , be carefull /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rolly, I don't shoot any of those and am not the one to be advising you. None of them are cheap to feed. What a person considers "affordable" is a big part of it.

Ackman, thanks for the clarification. I didn't carefully read the part of the post that said "spotter round" and wasn't aware they had spotter cartridges for the .50BMG. Not too old to learn! Don

Back