We're not the only things out there killing coyotes!

Kizmo

I hunt in south Georgia, a half hour or less from the Florida line. A couple of weeks ago, my buddy from Texas was in town and wanted to go coyote hunting, so I took him out to my place. On the third stand, I called up this big male, which he shot in the chest at 95 yards with a .243.

Heartwormyote_zpscbe1019e.jpg

Pretty healthy looking, isn’t he?

Closer inspection of the exit wound, however, reveals a different story.

Heartworms_zps8c52a932.jpg

The white thread-like things are adult heartworms, aka Dirofilaria immitis. The smaller, thinner ones are male and the larger ones are female. What you can’t see are the microscopic “larva” (aka microfilariae) which are present throughout the blood. These are the things you spend $$$ at the veterinarian’s office to prevent your dog from having.

Heartworms are native to the southeastern United States but have spread to nearly everywhere that mosquitos are found. Mosquitos are the vector for heartworms. Vector = an organism that transmits a disease from one creature to another. There have even been reports of them as far north as Alaska and Canada, and they are now found in Central and South America, Europe and Asia. Though they were originally identified in dogs, they have been found in various members of the cat family, foxes, wolves, sea lions, ferrets, some birds, and (occasionally) humans.

As is the case with most parasites, the life cycle of the heartworm is fairly complicated. It begins when a mosquito ingests blood from an infected animal which contains the microfilariae. They end up in the mosquito’s gut, where they undergo 2 stages of maturation. After this, they migrate to the mosquito’s head, “beak” (aka proboscis) and salivary glands. When the mosquito bites a second animal, the immature worms are deposited under the skin, where they undergo a 4th stage of maturation. They then migrate to the nearby muscles, where they undergo a 5th stage of maturation. They then burrow into the blood vessels and are carried by the blood stream to, and through, the heart to lodge in the arteries in the lung (aka the pulmonary arteries). There, they mature and breed (disgusting, I know). The females then give birth to new microfilariae which circulate in the blood for up to two years, just waiting to be sucked up by another mosquito, thus beginning the cycle once again.

11df2f9cf22d331f310558de81fbaf1f.jpg

The entire process, from initial infection to having adult worms residing in the pulmonary arteries, takes approximately 7 months. The portion of the process occurring in the mosquito takes 2-7 weeks and is dependent upon ambient temperature. A minimum of two weeks of temperatures of 80 degrees or above is required for the the part of the cycle occurring in the mosquito.

Interestingly, heartworm infections are more severe in active dogs than in “couch potato” dogs. Presumably, this is due to the fact that increased heart rate leads to increased circulation of nutrient-rich blood, allowing the worms to mature and proliferate at a greater rate. Since few dogs are as active as coyotes, you can see coyotes really “take it on the chin” when it comes to heartworms. In severe cases (like this one), heartworms spread to the right side of the heart and the great vessels leading into and out of the heart. Left untreated, death is due to congestive heart failure due to all those worms “clogging the plumbing”. The heart essentially wears itself out due to the strain of trying to pump blood through all that matted mass of worms.

Humans represent accidental hosts of heartworms on occasion. The worms are usually found in the lung tissue near the outer surfaces of the lungs. In humans, most worms die before reaching adulthood. The dead worm produces a nodule of reactive inflammatory tissue called a granuloma. The significance of human infection is that these granulomas may be seen on chest X-rays and (initially) mistaken for lung cancer. Only after the portion of the lung is removed (not something you want to have done just for fun) is the truth discovered. I’ve personally seen two cases in which I’ve found remnants of the dead worm.

As far as other such things that coyotes harbor, a 2009 University of Georgia study of 41 coyotes at the Savannah River Site near Augusta, Ga. found that 60% of their coyotes tested positive for West Nile virus, 38% were positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis virus, and 15% were positive for Canine Distemper virus. Only one adult carried Parvovirus. Various intestinal parasites were also identified. The most significant of these (in terms of prevalence and significance to humans) was hookworm (Ancyclostoma), which was present in over 50%.

Heartworms were first identified in coyotes in 1992, right down the road from where I hunt. Our average annual rainfall is 53" and our average annual high temperature is 79 degrees. Even though mosquitos spend their entire lives only within 70-100 yards of where they hatched, we have mosquitos here everywhere and all the time. Consequently, most of our local coyotes (75%) have heartworms, and most acquire them in their first summer of life. Since coyotes are an invasive species here and are relative newcomers to the area, it remains to be seen how they will adapt. Most authorities believe that heartworms will represent a significant source of natural mortality for them in our area, and I believe they are the main reason we will never have the numbers of coyotes of you guys out west.

All that being said, any of you ever found any creepy crawlies in any of your yotes?

Last edited:
That's about the grossest thing I've ever seen. I was out shooting sage rats with my st. bernard puppy and she ate a dead rat I had just shot. I've been worried about worms ever since. She is scheduled for a vet visit next week.

Good info and thanks.
Most vet offices I have ever been in all seem to have a dogs heart with heartworms in a jar for all to see. We have had 1 dog that came down with heartworms a few years back and the treatment just about killed her. We always keep our dogs on heartguard but this dog will hold things in her mouth and then spit it out later. Caught her doing that and now force her to swollow em.

Nasty things.

It's been fairly recently discovered that a lot of the problems associated with treating an animal with heartworms is not due to the worms themselves. Turns out that even heartworms have a parasite, of sorts. Wolbachia is a bacteria that lives within the cells of virtually all heartworms. Current evidence indicates that treating (and killing) the adult worms in an animal causes release of Wolbachia organisms and protiens, which causes the severe symptoms and sometimes death of the treated animals. Experiments are underway in which infected animals are treated with tetracycline (an antibiotic) to cure the heartworm's Wolbachia infection before the heartworms themselves are treated.

Last edited:
Excellent post!! Thanks for the info. I hope it saves a few dogs.

How long do the heartworms live after the host dies? Is it possible to pass them on to an animal that eats an infected carcass?

I make coyote jerky for my inlaws at Christmas time. Is there a danger that the worms could be passed on and they would have to go through the painful treatment regimen?
unsure.gif

Makes a guy wonder how many other parasites and diseases can be passed around to humans. I always wear surgical gloves when I'm skinning. I also try to spray the carcass with an insecticide to get rid of fleas.

In Alberta we never have extended periods of 80F beyond a couple days, but I do know a couple of dog owners who had heartworm issues after visiting the U.S.

Originally Posted By: Redfrog

How long do the heartworms live after the host dies?

I was just wondering the same thing about heartworms and other worms that the host is
infected with.

Kizmo ?
Anyone ?

Originally Posted By: KizmoIt's been fairly recently discovered that a lot of the problems associated with treating an animal with heartworms is not due to the worms themselves. Turns out that even heartworms have a parasite, of sorts. Wolbachia is a bacteria that lives within the cells of virtually all heartworms. Current evidence indicates that treating (and killing) the adult worms in an animal causes release of Wolbachia organisms and protiens, which causes the severe symptoms and sometimes death of the treated animals. Experiments are underway in which infected animals are treated with tetracycline (an antibiotic) to cure the heartworm's Wolbachia infection before the heartworms themselves are treated.

In the case of our dog the treatment was affecting her joints and muscles to an extreme. Had to give her some
pain meds and muscle relaxers just so she could lay down.

Great Post on this subject.

If and when they start giving tetracycline to dogs as a treatment for this keep this in mind.

In 1992 I was diagnosed with lymes disease that was quite far along. The treatment I received was 6 pills of tetracycline a day for 15 weeks straight. I was borderline on being admitted to the hospital. Tetracycline was the absolute worst medication I have ever had period haven't had to take many thankfully. The side effects about drove me nuts. Can't eat dairy product, and cannot be in the sun for more then 15mins at a time where the worst two for me. The whole direct sun thing was crazy you would just burn like crazy and to this day I do not tan like I used to and still burn easier. I will say however the side effects were well worth getting rid of the lymes. Do I think that these same side effects will be the same in dogs and or other people maybe, maybe not this is just what my experience has been.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedfrogExcellent post!! Thanks for the info. I hope it saves a few dogs.

How long do the heartworms live after the host dies? Is it possible to pass them on to an animal that eats an infected carcass?

I make coyote jerky for my inlaws at Christmas time. Is there a danger that the worms could be passed on and they would have to go through the painful treatment regimen?
unsure.gif

Not sure how long a worm could live in a dead animal. When they're exposed to air like the ones above, they die very quickly. They normally spend their entire lives in a liquid environment, so they dry out very quickly. No real chance of passing them on from a dead animal. Only the 3rd stage worm is normally infectious, and it resides in the mosquito.

You'll have to come up with a new plan for keeping the inlaws away!
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: RedfrogMakes a guy wonder how many other parasites and diseases can be passed around to humans. I always wear surgical gloves when I'm skinning. I also try to spray the carcass with an insecticide to get rid of fleas.

In Alberta we never have extended periods of 80F beyond a couple days, but I do know a couple of dog owners who had heartworm issues after visiting the U.S.

According the the UGA study, the only things they found in their coyotes that would have a reasonable chance of being transmitted to humans during skinning is leptospirosis. Leptospirosis was found in 25% of the adult coyotes. Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that can have widely varying symptoms depending upon which particular Leptospira a person is infected with. Some common names for leptospira diseases are field fever, rat catcher's yellows and Weil's disease. It is transmitted by skin contact with infected animals or their urine.

The Canadian cases of heartworms have all been in southern Canada, but I'm not sure where exactly.

Originally Posted By: Smokeater5You don't see that everyday in a yote you shoot.

The main reason I don't see it is I tend to shoot a little higher and further back (double lung and shoulder) than my buddy. To one extent or another, I've seen it pretty much every time I've made a heart shot with the .243. They'll be there if you look for them. Once had one that looked like I blew two boxes of angel hair pasta out of his chest. So many worms you could have made a wig. Wish I'd taken a pic of that one.

Last edited:
A lot of people don't realize that by protecting your pet with heartguard, that if he gets heartworms while using the product, the manufacturer Merial ? Will cover all of the Vet costs. Its good insurance for me and my dogs.

Originally Posted By: Billy539Great Post on this subject.

If and when they start giving tetracycline to dogs as a treatment for this keep this in mind.

In 1992 I was diagnosed with lymes disease that was quite far along. The treatment I received was 6 pills of tetracycline a day for 15 weeks straight. I was borderline on being admitted to the hospital. Tetracycline was the absolute worst medication I have ever had period haven't had to take many thankfully. The side effects about drove me nuts. Can't eat dairy product, and cannot be in the sun for more then 15mins at a time where the worst two for me. The whole direct sun thing was crazy you would just burn like crazy and to this day I do not tan like I used to and still burn easier. I will say however the side effects were well worth getting rid of the lymes. Do I think that these same side effects will be the same in dogs and or other people maybe, maybe not this is just what my experience has been.

Photosensitivity is indeed a pretty common side effect of any tetracycline antibiotic. I've seen folks on it with sunburns that made ME want to cry. The milk thing is because the calcium binds up the tetracycline so it can't be absorbed in your small intestine.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357A lot of people don't realize that by protecting your pet with heartguard, that if he gets heartworms while using the product, the manufacturer Merial ? Will cover all of the Vet costs. Its good insurance for me and my dogs.

I did not know that and wish I had known it a few years ago. While it wasn't a great amount to pay, it was a noticable amount.

Originally Posted By: Smokeater5I'm gonna have to start looking for worms I guess. I haven't slowed down and looked for them but I will from now on.

Start checking your exit wounds closely. Sooner or later you'll find them. They don't move as much as an earthworm, but they do move, so you won't confuse them with nerves, tendons, etc. Being more than 150 miles from a coast, you probably don't have as high a prevalence up there as we do. The UGA SRS study only found them in about 40% of their yotes.

Back