We're not the only things out there killing coyotes!

Last spring I shot a big female and I opened her up to see if she was gestating and how far along the pups were. While doing so, I had cut into the stomach and tape worms just came spilling out. It was repugnant. I didn't think to take a picture of it, but I did take this photo.

Being new to the coyote hunting hobby, this is very good information. I have two dogs at home and I don't want to inadvertently bring any diseases home to them. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for worms on any that I shoot from now on. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, BUX8ME, that's the way I was with the angel hair pasta yote. Only reason I took this one was because my buddy had never seen them.

Interesting about the tapeworms. I'm surprised none of the SRS yotes had them. Of course, they only checked fecal samples and let the yotes go. Many times, intestinal worms are shed sporadically, so a single fecal sample can be false negative. Had they killed the yotes and autopsied them, I suspect they would have found a higher incidence of intestinal parasites.

Of course, it could be all the radiation from the "bumb factory"...
unsure.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KizmoYeah, BUX8ME, that's the way I was with the angel hair pasta yote. Only reason I took this one was because my buddy had never seen them.

Interesting about the tapeworms. I'm surprised none of the SRS yotes had them. Of course, they only checked fecal samples and let the yotes go. Many times, intestinal worms are shed sporadically, so a single fecal sample can be false negative. Had they killed the yotes and autopsied them, I suspect they would have found a higher incidence of intestinal parasites.

Of course, it could be all the radiation from the "bumb factory"...
unsure.gif

I think tape worms are fairly prevalent; at least in WA. Years ago,I used to cut open coyotes stomachs fairly regularly so I could try to identify what they were focused on eating during different times of year and different habitat types (most of what I found was already digested food, but sometimes I found what I was looking for). Anyway, I regularly found a tapeworm or 2; never like that female last spring. It was just a writhing mess of "pasta"; like you said. I have a pretty strong stomach, and it made me gag a little
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing about the heartworm; I'll look for it from now on.

Originally Posted By: BUXH8MELast spring I shot a big female and I opened her up to see if she was gestating and how far along the pups were. While doing so, I had cut into the stomach and tape worms just came spilling out. It was repugnant. I didn't think to take a picture of it, but I did take this photo.

Nine with one shot.

This is informative on a number of fronts, and may be a strong point in favor of hunting. I'd like to see a study about the reduction of disease and parasites in a managed coyote population.

One also wonders, are there any disease free coyotes?

Thanks for presenting this thread.

The last bobcat I cut open had a stomach FULL of wiggly white worms like angel hair pasta. And 5 partially digested small field mice and 1 small bird.

Wow! Great info and great post. I think I just threw up in my icecream bowl..but hey...I did look carefully! 9 with one shot, now that is really something!!!

Thanks guys!

Back