A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. Pls read update om original post!!

Posted by: KjBeachy

A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. Pls read update om original post!! - 12/06/18 12:04 PM

**Disclaimer** These scopes are no longer for sale in store, you can only custom order them!

"The Evangelist Scopes" Most of you have probably never heard of them. I didn't either till the owner posted about them one day in the coyote hutning facebook group. He started out with a 4-12x40 and a 4-16x44. These were priced at around 100 to 150 dollars. His main advertising point was, they are made in Germany, and have German glass. At the time, i wasn't really interested because i wanted a scope with a 50mm objective.
It wasn't long till he came out with some more scopes for pre order. He had a 6-24x50 ffp and a 4-16x50 sfp for preorder. So i went ahead and preorderd the 4-16x50 because it was so cheap. $150. Well i waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. Finally i contacted im wondering what was taking so long. He said they were still being shipped across the waters. He also told me that since i had waited so long for my scope, he would give me a 4.5-18x50 he was prototyping. I gladly agreed to that. So for $150 i was getting a $400 scope.
It eventually came, and I was immedialty impressed with most things. Lets remember, this is a $400 scope. Also keep in mind i havent used really expensive glass, so this probably wont be a fair comparrison, but anway.
This is a feature rich scope:
Illuminated reticle
FFP
80 MOA of travel in the EXPOSED turrets
Lifetime warrenty
These are the main features of the scope.
So I began testing it. The glass is phenomanal for a $400 scope. Like i said, i havent used expensive glass, so i cant really compare it with anything, but it looks really good to me. For example, i shot a baseball at 650 yards with no problem at all seeing it. At 4.5, you do get some warp, but as soon as you start zooming, it disapears.
As far as low light, i haven't really tested that, so i cant speak to that.
I HATE the turrets, they feal really cheap, but it tracks really well. I haven't done extensive tests on the tracking, but i have shot out to 650 yards, and it tracked perfectly.
So over all i am impressed with the scopes that he builds. I would recommend his scopes for you guys out there that like budget scopes. I would say his are some of the best on the market at that price point. Like I said, he only does custom builds now, and you have to contact him on what you want built. His website is
www.jv-hunting.com

Update!!!

I have been in discussion with the owner. He said this. Scopes ARE BUILT IN CHINA. He also comfirmed the glass is from Germany. He explained it to me this way.

And i quote
"The way it works is the highest bidder gets to pick glass first. So when the other top companies make their bids they get to go pick their glass first and then people like me were down 4th 5th down the line so we don't get the best glass but we get good glass cut from the same people"

I question this, but I don't really know what to believe any more.
Can someone confirm it works that way?
Posted by: McGraw

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/06/18 04:41 PM

Germany? Website says Centerville, South Dakota.
Posted by: Brownie

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/06/18 06:47 PM

Looks like a rebranded primary arms scope. I think they are the ones whose that weird oval rectangular center piece.

Monstrum tactical also uses the same body. I think the evangelists are selling you a Chinese scope. Did you ask who is building these? They may just be assembled in Germany with outsourced components.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/06/18 06:49 PM

That is the sellers location. The scopes are built in gemrany and shipped to the us

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/06/18 08:02 PM

Maybe gr8fuldoug will recognize it and can tell us where itís sourced from.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/06/18 09:04 PM

This whole post is fishy. Most scopes tend to get fuzzier as the magnification goes up. If this scope has "warp?" At 4.5 I can only imagine it gets worse as the power is increased.

"I haven't used expensive glass but it looks good to me" compared to??

"Hate the turrets they feel.cheap" on an apparently "custom ordered German scope"??

Call me an skeptic but sounds like a shameless plug with a review based on nothing but the fact that you were "upgraded" to a "better"scope because of a delay.

A baseball or a less than half MOA target at 650 yards was "clearly visible" and hit with no tracking test to confirm adjustments true to the graduation marked on the turret.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/06/18 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Brownie
This whole post is fishy. Most scopes tend to get fuzzier as the magnification goes up. If this scope has "warp?" At 4.5 I can only imagine it gets worse as the power is increased.

"I haven't used expensive glass but it looks good to me" compared to??

"Hate the turrets they feel.cheap" on an apparently "custom ordered German scope"??

Call me an skeptic but sounds like a shameless plug with a review based on nothing but the fact that you were "upgraded" to a "better"scope because of a delay.

A baseball or a less than half MOA target at 650 yards was "clearly visible" and hit with no tracking test to confirm adjustments true to the graduation marked on the turret.

Let me explain
I thought i made it clear. This was NOT a custom scope. This is a prototype. He was considering building this in mass production, but decided against it.

Yes, scopes tend to get fuzzy at higher magnification. However, when i talk about "warp" at 4.5, im talking about the wide angle affect. Not a loss in quality

This glass is much better than the other cheaper glass i have used. I.e. vortex diamindback tatical

Before i shot the baseball i shot a steal plate to confirm i was close, then adjusted as needed.

As i stated earlier, this is a prototype, he was trying a different design on the turrets. Yes, they track, no, they don't induce the feeling of confidence when cramking on them, but it tracks.

I can see why you would call this review fishy. Trust me, it's not a plug. All i am saying is, at this price point, this is a supurb scope.
Posted by: pyscodog

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 01:16 AM

I hate when a product uses religion to make a sale. If its a good product, it should sell its self. "Oh so he's a good christian so I'll use him or buy his wares". Nope,doesn't work for me. Not bashing religion, just don't like it used as a sales pitch.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By: pyscodog
I hate when a product uses religion to make a sale. If its a good product, it should sell its self. "Oh so he's a good christian so I'll use him or buy his wares". Nope,doesn't work for me. Not bashing religion, just don't like it used as a sales pitch.

I totally agree. I told him he should change it. He didn't like that idea at all
Posted by: liliysdad

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 10:13 AM

This scope is absolutely not German....its just another version of the same old recycled Chinese scope thats been on the market for years.

I'll pass...

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: liliysdad
This scope is absolutely not German....its just another version of the same old recycled Chinese scope thats been on the market for years.

I'll pass...

Not to be rude, but how do you know?

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 11:05 AM

Since yall guys can't seem to get what im saying, let me put it in plain letters for you.
This is a perfectly good scope for a person on a budget. Yes, there are other good choices out there, but this one works.

It's like the difference between a snap on tool and a harbour freight tool. The harbour freight tool might not be the quality of a snap on, BUT IT WORKS
No, im not saying you should give up your zeiss or NF for this scope, im just saying it's a tool that work.

And for the record, if you didn't realize, on most popular scopes out there, you pay for the brand name, not the scope.
Posted by: AWS

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 12:13 PM

Getting something made in Germany and selling it at the price of low end Asian manufactured scopes seems really impossible (too good to be true). Maybe a sweat-shop of illegal Syrian refugees.

From your description it wouldn't be something I'd even accept on a low end scope from Buschnell, Vortex or any of the common manufactures. Fisheye on the low end and fuzzy on the high just don't cut it, even a Mueller APV is better than that and they have a lifetime warranty.
Posted by: gr8fuldoug

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: McGraw
Maybe gr8fuldoug will recognize it and can tell us where itís sourced from.

Never heard of it, I'm sorry

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: KjBeachy

I'll pass...

You can be rude, I don't mind.

I know because the price tells me. I know because the junk quality you reported tells me. I know because I have watched these hokey things for a couple of years now on the various FB groups. I know because I have seen that same scope body on Chinese scopes for years.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 01:12 PM

I'll pass...

You can be rude, I don't mind.

I know because the price tells me. I know because the junk quality you reported tells me. I know because I have watched these hokey things for a couple of years now on the various FB groups. I know because I have seen that same scope body on Chinese scopes for years.

Well, it may be Chinese, but it some of the better Chinese i have seen. Like i said, it works for me. So im happy

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: AWS
Getting something made in Germany and selling it at the price of low end Asian manufactured scopes seems really impossible (too good to be true). Maybe a sweat-shop of illegal Syrian refugees.

From your description it wouldn't be something I'd even accept on a low end scope from Buschnell, Vortex or any of the common manufactures. Fisheye on the low end and fuzzy on the high just don't cut it, even a Mueller APV is better than that and they have a lifetime warranty.

Sorry, you miss understood me. Yes, a tiny bit of fisheye at 4.5, but no, it's not fuzzy at the high end

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 01:48 PM

KjBeachy
I get your point that this scope fits your quality and price point that you need, and itís good that youíve shown it for someone else looking for that type of scope. I also agree that Nightforce scopes are also overpriced just because of their name. Nevertheless, Iím going to try to scratch up every last dollar of the price of a NXS to get one. Thatís because of their tracking and quality reputation for dialing for LR shooting.
Just kinda bugs me these guys say itís German made and throw a cross on it to put money in their pocket.
Bottom line is I agree with you. We all are going to buy what we want and what makes up happy.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: McGraw
KjBeachy
I get your point that this scope fits your quality and price point that you need, and itís good that youíve shown it for someone else looking for that type of scope. I also agree that Nightforce scopes are also overpriced just because of their name. Nevertheless, Iím going to try to scratch up every last dollar of the price of a NXS to get one. Thatís because of their tracking and quality reputation for dialing for LR shooting.
Just kinda bugs me these guys say itís German made and throw a cross on it to put money in their pocket.
Bottom line is I agree with you. We all are going to buy what we want and what makes up happy.

Exactly my point. And if i had the chance, I would buy a nf, just because lol

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 02:40 PM

I've seen this same scope body on several scopes a couple of guys use to have. They were Chinese and were paying about a hundred bucks for them off E-bay or Amazon. They came straight from China. They thought they were great for the money. I just couldn't get on that wagon. Another similar scope was Seal. More Chinese junk. If it broke, you had to deal with a guy that spoke no English. But as was already said, its your dime, if it suits you, thats what matters.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/07/18 05:04 PM

Well, it may be Chinese, but it some of the better Chinese i have seen. Like i said, it works for me. So im happy

It was German, and now maybe its Chinese? Of course its Chinese....and I doubt some fella in his living room has the chops to ensure QC even remotely close to "some of the better Chinese" like Athlon.

Just another cheap scope trying to sell on smoke and mirrors. Glad it works for you, and if you are happy with them I would definitely keep buying them....just dont try to shill for them quite so hard.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/08/18 10:57 PM

ZOS was the name of the scopes those guys at the club were buying. Just found them on e-bay tonite. For a whopping $84 you can get a 6-24x50 with a sunshade covers and rings. And its illuminated to. Straight out of China. Looks just like the Evangelist. The guys that were using them thought they were great scopes.....for the money.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/09/18 09:12 AM

I think there is probably a dif between my scope and the one u were talking about. Just sayin

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/09/18 10:41 PM

I think there is probably a dif between my scope and the one u were talking about. Just sayin

What are the differences?

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 10:00 AM

About 66 dollars

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 10:52 AM

thumbup1

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Brownie

About 66 dollars

And the German glass, and the bits and pieces that were made in Japan

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 01:39 PM

Mr. KjBeachy, I think you've been hoodwinked.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 02:19 PM

And the German glass, and the bits and pieces that were made in Japan

Who makes the glass? Whey German over LOW? What Japanese bits are they shoving into an obviously Chinese tube?

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 02:47 PM

This comes strait from the owner. "The old ones were assembled im China. Parts came from Germany, Japan, and China." He has told me specifically that the glass is made in Germany, but he never told me by who for "legal reasons". Now i can see why this sounds fishy, i agree, however, i cannot believe that glass coming from China itself would be that clear. Maybe i have been hoodwinked, i don't know.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 02:59 PM

You were.

He is full of crap...and I can assure you, Chinese glass is as good as your review...

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 03:06 PM

What i love is, you don't give any reason for thinking it might be legit. I dare you to buy one and see how good it actually is. He garuntees money back

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 03:11 PM

Its becoming aparent to me that some ppl simply believe you can't have a decent scope for under 1 grand. Sure, if you wanna stay stuck in your ways, go ahead. Its ppl like you that think the moon landing was a photo shoot in Arizona and that the earth is flat

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 03:16 PM

Aaaaand if you didn't know, all of vortex lower end scopes are assembled in china...
Posted by: reb8600

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 03:27 PM

This is going no where and I see attacks on each other starting. Any more and it will be locked. It is getting beyond a constructive discussion.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 03:52 PM

Good point. My whole idea with this review was this. You may have seen this scope advertised on the internet. Its not a bad scope for the money. That's all i was trying to say

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/10/18 08:06 PM

I dont think anyone has a problem with the review itself. The "German glass" is the focus of the debate. There are plenty of Chinese scopes that are "good for the money" even FFP models. But insisting that a scope has German glass without so much as a name of the supplier is the issue. As far as "legal reasons" there is absolutely not a one I can think of that would keep the evangelist from knowing other than it's not German. If it suits your needs and your happy great. But let's have a little more info or proof before advertising it as what it's not. Theres guys here with extensive knowledge and experience on scopes from the center point all the way to schmidt and bender and everything in between. At 18 we tend to think we know more than we do and we dont like being proven wrong. Or admiting to it. Thanks for the write up happy hunting my friend
Posted by: cdb

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/12/18 01:30 PM

I prefer the Televangelist scope over the Evangelist scope. Same price but it has even more flash over substance.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/12/18 01:50 PM

So for $150 i was getting a $400 scope.
It eventually came, and I was immedialty impressed with most things. Lets remember, this is a $400 scope.

I do not believe it possible to make a scope with 18x power, IR and FFP that is any good that would sell for $400.00. Might be possible to get one with one of those features but not with even two of them. Plus OP paid only $150.00. The owner of Evangelist scopes must truly be in to ĎGiving more than he receivesí and operates as a Non-Profit Organisation which is as it should be-given the name of the scope. thumbdown

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/12/18 03:04 PM

How come 18x is a hard "focal length" for ir and ftp?

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/12/18 03:14 PM

Not attacking, just curious

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 09:56 AM

I donít understand your question
Posted by: pahntr760

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: cdb
I donít understand your question

Neither does the OP. It is an inane question at best.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 10:48 AM

You said you don't think it's possible to make a scope with 18x that has ffp and ir. What are you refering to?

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 11:16 AM

You have to read the whole sentence. "that is any good that would sell for $400.00"

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 11:19 AM

But what about the athlon Argos?
Posted by: SlickerThanSnot

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 11:46 AM

i am saving my pennies for the new preacher series scopes. the preachers will sell for $175 but should sell for $500.

woohoo

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot
i am saving my pennies for the new preacher series scopes. the preachers will sell for $175 but should sell for $500.

woohoo

Lol!

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 12:03 PM

The Athlon Argos scopes don't claim to have German Glass and the say "Made in China" on them and their Argos scope with Ill. Ret and FFP run right around $400.

I trust Camaraland and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't try and screw me over, I've done business with them for a long time.

I will say that I spent a number of years working in a Christian out reach ministry and one of the things I took away from the experience is that the more a person proclaims to be a Christian the less I want to turn my back on them.
Posted by: gr8fuldoug

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 12:09 PM

The Athlon Argos scopes don't claim to have German Glass and the say "Made in China" on them and their Argos scope with Ill. Ret and FFP run right around $400.

I trust Camaraland and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't try and screw me over, I've done business with them for a long time.

Thank you, and of course we never would "screw" ANYONE.

The Athlon Argos BTR FFP Illuminated are quality made in China scopes, here is a review from another forum
We have these on special right now, in the 6-24x50 in MOA and MIL for only $299.99, give a call to get one, 516-217-1000

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 12:28 PM

So, is there nothing like cheap german glass?
Posted by: pahntr760

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 01:57 PM

Nope
Posted by: SlickerThanSnot

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: pahntr760

Nope

on the bright side, there is cheap german beer.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 02:53 PM

woohoo

And its tax free!

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: pahntr760

Nope

on the bright side, there is cheap german beer.

Lol!

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/13/18 03:55 PM

I think the wording should be "inexpensive German beer" cheap kind of means worthless to me.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/14/18 07:26 AM

that the more a person proclaims to be a Christian the less I want to turn my back on them.

As a believer I find your statement very sad.... but true. I also immediately distrust people who volunteer that they are honest.

Re: A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. The best scope on a budget? - 12/14/18 07:27 AM

Itís not inexpensive but I like my Spaten.