your sizing lube for bottleneck cases?

Chapped Lips

post the brand you use...how long does it last? (months/year)....how many cases do you re-size in a year?
i use Imperial sizing die wax....the 2" tin says "Le Clear Industries" - started it maybe12yrs ago....shot & sized roughly 1000 cases last year...i know that's low for a bunch of ya (grin).

Last edited:
I have always used Dillon case lube. My wife and I moved several years ago, I had a bottle packed in with some extras I never new what happened to that box, that was six years ago, it looks the same as my newest bottle, I tried it it still works just fine. I probably reload a thousand to fifteen hundred bottle necks a year.

I bought a Lee reloader set.. started using it a couple years ago, finally ran the little tube out of Lube. I got 2 bottles of Lymans case lube and I bet that will last for about 5 years. lol Looks like 90 wt Oil.

I've used the RCBS case lube for the last 35 years and the Imperial wax for the inside of the necks for a few years, I tried the oneshot a couple times ( Not worth a _ _ _ _) then I chucked it, only time I have ever got stuck case's and went back to the RCBS lube... I only shoot around 4 or 5000 rounds a year and I'am on the secound tube of Lube!

I used RCBS for years then tried the Imperial wax and liked it better but then I started using Hornady One Shot for my progressive press and liked it even better. Now I use the imperial only when sizing down from one caliber to another.

Originally Posted By: Chapped Lipspost the brand you use...how long does it last? (months/year)....how many cases do you re-size in a year?
i use Imperial sizing die wax....the 2" tin says "Le Clear Industries" - started it maybe12yrs ago....shot & sized roughly 1000 cases last year...i know that's low for a bunch of ya (grin).

Imperial Sizind Die Wax works very well for me.

I used a lube pad for years, then tried the spray on stuff, but the sizing die was beats the heck out of 'em all.

I've done a few thousand cases from the first tin, and have barely made a dent in the wax. Should last for several more years. I think a couple of cans would last most handloaders a lifetime!

Daryl

daryl, you got it!...my tin has been in use at least 12yrs & i'm MAYBE halfway into it....got 4 more stashed away sumwhere...probably have to put'em in my will.

Originally Posted By: LeviSSHornady One Shot...no problems yet.

YET...being the key word in that statement!

Imperial, is the @#$%! I got rid of the One-Shot.

kevlars

I use RCBS Case Lube-2 and have for the last 40 years never a stuck case. I would guess aprox . 10,000 Rds total. Not a high volume shooter.

DAB

Hornady one shot for large volume, rcbs and imperial are on the shelf for
anything under 100 rounds or so. The one shot is expensive to use. It takes
two light coats from four directions to make sure the press is butter smooth.
I stand 400 to 500 cases up on the bench by flipping my loading blocks over
with a piece of cardboard for a lid, the slide it out and lift the block off, then
spray.

Quote:Originally Posted By: LeviSSHornady One Shot...no problems yet.

YET...being the key word in that statement!

Imperial, is the @#$%! I got rid of the One-Shot.

I've used one-shot for a long time, i don't see any problems with it if you follow directions..
As for applying it i just spray down one side of loading block and back down the other at a down-ward angle. When done sizeing i just pop it in the tumbler for 15 minutes and i'm ready to reload..

As a note:

I've never had any problems with ANY sizing lube, other than getting too much in the die and causing rippled shoulders early in my loading years. They fire-formed back to normal without issue, but they aren't real purdy.

Some are just far more messy than others, and it's pretty difficult to get too much sizing die wax on a case. So little goes so far that such a thing would seem impossible to me.

For me, the sizing die wax is cleaner, lasts longer, and is easier to clean up when I'm done.

It's also very inexpensive.

Daryl

I switched over from a lube pad to Imperial about a year ago (based on what I read on this forum). I'd been using RCBS lube for over 20 years.
Personally, I like the wax better, I wipe it on with my fingers, so it's a different approach.
I'm going to keep using the Imperial wax, it seems I have better control of the coverage and it just feels smoother running in the dies (SB dies).
But, it's probably slower than rolling a whole string on the pad at one time, and you get a little wax on your fingers.
I'd imagine some people might not like that aspect.
Never tried spray-on lube, though, maybe it's just as good. Seemed kind of expensive to me. It looks like that little can of Imperial is going to last longer than I am.
grin.gif

My recipe is:

Imperial Sizing Die Wax for the case body.
Powdered graphite for the neck, inside and outside

I keep the Imperial away from the case shoulder area so it doesn't migrate up to the shoulder, causing dimples in the shoulder with the sizing operation. The major area of the case that needs sizing is its lower 3/4's, so I don't put any wax above the 3/4 area. I never see die marks in the top 1/4 anyway..

I was told in a pinch you can use synthetic motor oil or even Pam cooking spray?? The guy told me he wipes about every 5th neck with a bit of oil and it works just fine. What do you think about the Pam??

Originally Posted By: StalkerI was told in a pinch you can use synthetic motor oil or even Pam cooking spray?? The guy told me he wipes about every 5th neck with a bit of oil and it works just fine. What do you think about the Pam??

I don't think either would work very well. You aren't supposed to use regular gun oil, so my guess would be motor oil would be pretty close to that. Have you ever picked up a can of Pam that had some residue left on it? It is sticky and nasty. I don't think I'd ever need to reload bad enough where I couldn't just drive to a gun shop before trying those.

Was having problems sizing wssm cases and Mike
Milli at Dtech pointed me towards Dillon case lube. The Dillon lube took care of my problems.

Levi, I was thinking that would come off anyway when tumbling the cases? I usually tumble with cushed walnut after sizing and then tumble with corn cob after loading. Maybe I'll give it a shot and see.

Back