You Were Fired For What?

Rocky, I was taught tolerance by the Bible (New Testament), not the government...While I understand, and can adopt many principles from the Old Testament, there are several conflicting attitudes as taught by Christ, compared to some that are espoused by the various prophets of God...

OT I had something explained to me the other day and I don't know if it is right or wrong but it has caused me to think. This fellow was explaining the commandment,Thu shall not kill.He said it should have been translated to say,Thou shall not murder.If that is right,it would ease a conflict that has haunted many souls.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistOT I had something explained to me the other day and I don't know if it is right or wrong but it has caused me to think. This fellow was explaining the commandment,Thu shall not kill.He said it should have been translated to say,Thou shall not murder.If that is right,it would ease a conflict that has haunted many souls.

im almost 100% positive the original text is "thou shalt not commit murder"
very big difference

http://www.bible-knowledge.com/10-commandments/

And God spoke all these words, saying: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

1. You shall have no other gods before me.

2. You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

5. Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

6. You shall not murder.

7. You shall not commit adultery.

8. You shall not steal.

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

Last edited:
sweatybetty - I'm with you there.

If we are not to kill for any reason, including self defense to protect our families, then tell me this. Why did Jesus tell his desciples in Luke 22:36-38 "Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’For the things concerning Me have an end.” So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.”?

Swords were the sidearms of their day, the pistols of their time. This was right after they finished the Last Supper right before they went to the Mount of Olives. Remember Christ knew Peter had a sword and knew he would cut the ear off the high priest's servant but didn't stop him from packing. Jesus stopped Peter after he did it because he knew it was God's will that Jesus be crucified.

People often point out Matthew 5:39 "But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also."

I think that refers to the small stuff, not to get worked up about things that don't matter much, not to lose your temper. I would hope no one would believe that applies to someone who would come to rob or kill you or your family.

I have not, and never will, say it's wrong to kill...If that were the case, I would have never gotten into law enforcement...

But by the same token, tolerance of another's way of life is in a whole different spectrum...Otherwise we would probably be at each other's throats because of different beliefs that we hold individually...

I've always held the attitude that I will bend over backwards to protect the rights of the victim and the accused, but if anyone violates my right, then I will affect my own form of punishment...

Originally Posted By: TnslimMaybe she can get a new job at Snap-On Tools.

I don't know about the rest of you, but about died laughing over this comment. Disgusting subject but this comment.....
lol.gif

What makes her any different than anybody else?? if I started talking about my junk at work some of the old bitties in there would be in the office before the echo died, and I would be out on the curb before I could blink.

Went by the work place to see my old work friends today.I have only been retired about a year and a half but boy how things have changed.The ones still there are not happy anymore,glad to have a job,but they say things have really gone down hill.Poor guy that is doing my old job is in over his head and really having a tough time of it.Sounded like I got out at a good time.Had been missing work real bad.I am glad I stopped in.

I know its not popular to say this, but this country could use a good cleansing. Politically speaking of course,wink wink.

Last edited:
Back