You gun owning liberals

Ivers

If Obama gets the chance to replace a conservative on the Supreme Court with one like the last 2 he appointed, you can kiss your gun rights goodbye.

There will be a Supreme Court decision that the 2nd Amendment only applies to the organized militia, ie National Guard, and it will cease to exist.

They may let you keep a single shot shotgun, and maybe even a bolt action rifle, so long as pay a tax, register it, and do everything but keep it down at the courthouse and check it out to go hunting.

The possibility that Obama will be able to stack the Court with 3 far left fruitcakes to go along with Ginsburg is the biggest danger there ever was in electing this guy.

Refresh my mind, when was the last time a gun issue got to the supreme court?

I have more faith in liberal SCJ's protecting the letter of the constitution concerning gun rights than I do a right leaning appointment by Romney maintaining Roe v. Wade.

Originally Posted By: woodguruRefresh my mind, when was the last time a gun issue got to the supreme court?

I have more faith in liberal SCJ's protecting the letter of the constitution concerning gun rights than I do a right leaning appointment by Romney maintaining Roe v. Wade.

You are WAY out of touch. District of Columbia vs Heller in 2008. Look up how the liberals on the court voted and get back with me.

A gigantic increase in welfare- yes. Illegals pouring into our country unchecked- yes. Gun restrictions like what they have in Europe- I really don't think so. I would be quite surprised in fact if he really tried to do anything more an a mirror of the assault weapons ban that happened in the Clinton Administration. That, I see coming. Don't want to see it happen, but if it does and that's it, I can live with that. Just like I did before.

Last edited:
He is another one of those Obamanites with little post count in here trollin that thinks he knows it all. Do us a favor and stay in Kalifornia, ya little FAIRY.

This is what I pulled up from Wkipedia on the case in question:

Quote:District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), was a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, in federal enclaves. The decision did not address the question of whether the Second Amendment extends beyond federal enclaves to the states,[1] which was addressed later by McDonald v. Chicago (2010). It was the first Supreme Court case in United States history to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms.[2]

On June 26, 2008, the Supreme Court affirmed the Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit in Heller v. District of Columbia.[3][4] The Court of Appeals had struck down provisions of the Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975 as unconstitutional, determined that handguns are "arms" for the purposes of the Second Amendment, found that the District of Columbia's regulations act was an unconstitutional banning, and struck down the portion of the regulations act that requires all firearms including rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock." "Prior to this decision the Firearms Control Regulation Act of 1975 also restricted residents from owning handguns except for those registered prior to 1975."[5]

Swift One, Heller was the Supreme Court decision that decided the most basic argument between gun rights advocates and gun control advocates; that the right to keep and bear arms as stated in the Constitution is an INDIVIDUAL right, not a right granted to an organized militia.

It was 5-4 decision, split along ideological lines. The conservatives on the Court stated that the 2nd amendment applied to Heller. The liberals on the court in their dissent stated that the 2nd amendment does not apply to the individual.

Woodsguru is a little out of touch on the issue.

Never give up anything to the anti gunners. They will take your high cap mags today, your semi auto pistol tommorrow, your muzzle devise next week, then next month you'll wake up with jackbooted thugs at your door demanding the complete contents of your gun safe. Never give these people an inch, because they'll take every mile they can.

Ivers is right on this one.That was my biggest worry and it has now come to pass,almost.For those who say They won't take my guns,who is going to stop them.When they come to your house at 2 am and your little ones are in bed are you going to shoot it out with them?What are you thinking.The NRA is the only hope I am afraid.If there is more please tell me.

Originally Posted By: woodguruRefresh my mind, when was the last time a gun issue got to the supreme court?

Care to do a little research on Chicago's recent history on gun ownership. Congressman Rush's position on guns specific to Chicago. This in addition to Washington DC's position on gun ownership, hence Heller. How about the Dem's approach for years was that the 2nd ammendment only applied to the creation of a "malitia" and in their opinion the Nat'l Guard was just that, thus NO guarantee private ownership of average citizens. Still trust your libs and the Dem party? Many have made it clear that they would grab private owership of guns given the chance. Additionally, your posting on a predator hunting website. This would indicate your supportive of hunting both predators and the culture of hunting in general. Care to aknowlege which party the anti's idenify with? Care to do some research on the predation and wolf issues out west and aknowlege which party is both responsible for that legislation and for those who support such identify with? This is not to even get into the issue of land grabs and the continual expansion of transferring public lands with public access into wilderness. I honestly cannot wrap my mind around anyone who lives an outdoor lifstyle can identify with the Democaratic party and the occupy wallstreet, anti hunting types they represent.

Originally Posted By: coyote6974Never give up anything to the anti gunners. They will take your high cap mags today, your semi auto pistol tommorrow, your muzzle devise next week, then next month you'll wake up with jackbooted thugs at your door demanding the complete contents of your gun safe. Never give these people an inch, because they'll take every mile they can.

Exactly.

I know most of the time when somebody joins a forum its because they have questions about a subject. Well its kind of ironic that you joined on 30OCT12 and all of the sudden want to set US straight, spout your nonsense, and we are supposed to listen with eagerness. Do me a favor genius, and shut your mouth and leave. Your Master won, OK, I get it. Now quit buggin us adults, a childs place is to be seen and not heard.

Quote:Swift One, Heller was the Supreme Court decision that decided the most basic argument between gun rights advocates and gun control advocates; that the right to keep and bear arms as stated in the Constitution is an INDIVIDUAL right, not a right granted to an organized militia.

It was 5-4 decision, split along ideological lines. The conservatives on the Court stated that the 2nd amendment applied to Heller. The liberals on the court in their dissent stated that the 2nd amendment does not apply to the individual.

AHHHHH... I see. Well, I just hope it doesnt get too freakin stupid. I am sure that some stuff is coming (none of it should be coming IMO), but I hope they dont deep six the whole 2nd ammdt.

Originally Posted By: swift one Quote:Swift One, Heller was the Supreme Court decision that decided the most basic argument between gun rights advocates and gun control advocates; that the right to keep and bear arms as stated in the Constitution is an INDIVIDUAL right, not a right granted to an organized militia.

AHHHHH... I see. Well, I just hope it doesnt get too freakin stupid. I am sure that some stuff is coming (none of it should be coming IMO), but I hope they dont deep six the whole 2nd ammdt.

maybe not get rid of it, but endruns around it so that owning a gun would be so difficult that alot of people wont be able to, tax the [beeep] out of the guns, or ammo, or reloading supplies.................

Remember Obamacare was declared a tax (not what Obammy and friends were shooting for, obviously, but good enuf for now) - no reason any new gun law can't be written similarly and called a "tax".

Some of those SCJ's are getting old and wanna retire I'm sure, but I hope the good one's can hang on for at least 4 more.

To woodguru: People like us value human life more than animal life - that's just how nature (you remember nature - the thing you all worship supposedly) has been for the last few millenia.

U.S. Supreme Court could be an issue in the election
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2012, 8:26 PM Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2012, 8:42 PM

With a pending decision looming on the health care reform law, the U.S. Supreme Court has rarely commanded so much attention.

The high court could rule on the health care law as soon as Monday. The justices could decide if the law will survive in its entirety, be overturned completely or if some aspects will endure while others are tossed.

Lost in the overarching maze of superficial presidential campaign pandering and counter allegations is the massive significance the next president could have on reshaping the highest court in the land.

Analysts of the U.S. Supreme Court expect as many as three justices will retire during the next president’s watch. It would leave an unusually large void on the court for a single president to fill.

Justices who could retire include Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who is 79; Antonin Scalia, who is 76; and Anthony Kennedy, who will be 76 next month.

Their successors will be the core of the court for at least another generation and could well rule on cases affecting the most controversial issues of the day.

Cases on gay marriage, abortion rights and the parameters of any future health care law could land before the U.S. Supreme Court in the coming decades and set a precedence for generations to come.

If he wins re-election, President Barack Obama could have the most significant influence on the tone of the court in more than 50 years.

Obama already has appointed two justices in his first term: Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan.

If Obama wins in November, it’s conceivable that he could appoint as many as five justices in his presidency.

Assuming the president wins a second term, and Ginsburg, Scalia, and Kennedy all retire, Obama could potentially fill more than half the nine seats on the high court.

It’s also worth noting that another justice, Stephen G. Breyer, will turn 74 in August.

The last president to appoint five justices to the court was Dwight D. Eisenhower, culminating with the appointment of Justice Potter Stewart in 1958.

If Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney wins the White House, he could conceivably appoint more people to the exalted bench than any president in more than 20 years.

A moderate Republican, Romney has embraced the conservative rhetoric of some of his party’s more extreme elements.

Though Richard Nixon appointed four justices and Ronald Reagan appointed three, all subsequent presidents have appointed no more than two justices.

The largest reshaping of the court of the past century took place under Franklin D. Roosevelt, who appointed eight justices during his 12 years at the nation’s helm. That’s more than any other president except George Washington, who appointed 10.

Roosevelt’s appointments served as the nation’s rudder through the Great Depression and World War II. But they were far from the rubber stamp contemporary appointees are expected to be for their respective presidents and their party’s ideological bent.

The court ruled that six of Roosevelt’s eight depression-busting New Deal programs were unconstitutional.

Among them, the court unanimously struck down Roosevelt’s National Recovery Administration, a centerpiece of his radical but hugely popular Depression recovery plan.

Perhaps Roosevelt’s luck with a court he essentially stocked will provide some solace to Obama if all or some of his Affordable Care Act is struck down by the court this week, as many observers expect.

But if Obama retains the presidency and appoints justices to the court that reflect a more liberal bent, the court could make left-of-center rulings that don’t reflect the nation’s incrementally conservative take on some of the most contentious issues of the day.

While large numbers of younger Americans believe gay citizens should be able to marry, support for abortion rights appears to be dipping.

A Gallup poll in May found that 41 percent of Americans identify themselves as “pro-choice.” It marks a record low for the poll, which began asking the question in 1995. The May poll found that 50 percent of Americans describe themselves as “pro-life.”

The poll’s authors note that it’s too soon to tell if this is a lasting shift or temporary trend, but abortion remains a divisive issue among Americans.

Though abortion is just one controversial issue that could land before justices appointed by the next president, it exemplifies the possibility of a disconnect between an Obama-heavy court and the citizenry.

While a more liberal court would serve as something of a check and balance to increasingly conservative elected officials, left-leaning rulings could prove extremely unpopular to the voters who put those right-leaning officials in office.

Given the high temperature of the early presidential campaign season, it’s surprising that neither Obama nor Romney have elevated the court’s future to a prime topic in their regular stump speech.

As November approaches, expect the bench to become a more popular presidential campaign topic, as both candidates court voters.

WATCH LIST

Four Supreme Court justices are in their 70s, and each of the four has served at least 18 years on the bench. The average term for a Supreme Court justice is 16 years.

President Barack Obama or Republican candidate Mitt Romney might have an unusual opportunity to stack the court.

Antonin Scalia

Joined the court: 1986

Anthony M. Kennedy

Joined the court: 1988

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Joined the court: 1993

Stephen G. Breyer

Joined the court: 1994

Source: U.S. Supreme Court

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/us_supreme_court_could_be_an_i.html

Consider yourself refreshed peckerwood...

District of Columbia v. Heller

Argued March 18, 2008
Decided June 26, 2008

McDonald v. City of Chicago

Supreme Court of United States.
Argued March 2, 2010.
Decided June 28, 2010.

Holder v. Humanitarian Law Project; Humanitarian Law Project v. Holder

Supreme Court of United States
Argued February 23, 2010.
Decided June 21, 2010.

Please note the latter was heard concerning providing guns to a terrorist organization, and really shouldn't be included, but I had to include it since Holder was arguing this case while the US was providing guns to Mexican cartels. I would have left it out, but I just really found that one interesting.

Need refreshing on anything else peckerwood??

Back