yote, up close & personal

Quote:
... that just doesn't seem "fair" to see a half dozen big hounds stretching a coyote out

"Fair"? Like in a Disney movie? One on one is not efficient in the animal kingdom. Wolves do not take down game (or intruders) "one on one". Neither do dingo's, hyenas, African lions, and African hunting dogs. There is even evidence that many of the smaller dinosaurs hunted in packs. From the largest mammals (whales and dolphins) to the smallest invertebraes (ants), hunting in a group has evolved as the most efficient method to ensure a kill. For whatever reason, "fair" is a human guilt emotion, and not recognized by members of the animal kingdom.

back in the day when my dad hunted with hounds if the dogs got on a fresh coyote track it would be a wack to the back of the head with the flashlight, but my dads dogs were for running coon/cats but if your dogs are for runnin yotes thats a different thing. i know this sounds dumb but i hate to see yotes hit by cars.. 1 more that one us cannot call in

nasa, very well put. and for the record i never let a 1/2 dozon hounds stretch out a yote, but i wouldn`t bother me in the least. around here coon hunters can`t even go in the woods at nite without their hounds being attacked or at least ran of tree.

hey killcoyotes is that dog on the left a plott? i had a pair of them never got to hunt them but they were very protective of my kids when other dogs were around mine were bothers but the first one i got was alot bigger and would go after any dog that came by my kids i tried to get him to chase a bear one night but he was to young he went the wrong way on the track i kept him on a lease so he wouldn't get tangled with the bear god i miss that dog

I read all the post in this thread.There are some good points,and some uneducated ones.Depending on where you live in the country ,coyotes cause different degrees of problems.Where I live,we are over run with yotes,and the theory is "catch as catch can".I have no problem calling, shooting,trapping,running with bay dogs,decoy dogs ,or kill dogs.I will be honest,I use a combination of all of the above.Is it any worse for my kill dogs to do their job , than it is for pack of yotes to kill a poor little Border collie?I think I've made my point.When you've had a dog,maimed or killed by yotes,I'll listen to the "unfair Idea",Until then I'll do what I do best.89 coyotes killed this year,many, by dogs.Duane
Killcoyotes,I'VE TAKEN HEAT FOR MY PICS ALSO!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Every time you criticize someone's idea of fair hunting, you put your own style at risk.

As long as no laws are broken, hunt in whatever fassion you choose.

Personally, I love hound hunting and can't believe they took it away here in Washington.

I can't believe they still let Pheasant Hunters use dogs though - how inhumane.

This is one of the best post I have read on this site.....Hats off to you Sir......

Michael, every year our good friend Vargy puts on a houndsmen's get together. I've gone a few times. Coyotes are coursed and bayed at this event, but none are killed. The kill dogs are left at home and only the trackers are allowed at his "Var-B-Que".

This is a family affair and children are welcome. Old experienced dogs, and young pups just getting their feet wet, with every degree of experience in between will be running. You should make a point to go sometime. It will clear away a lot of that excess baggage you're carrying around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've been called a lot of things, but never call a houndsmen lazy. Come along with me sometime, see if you can keep up. I go in the woods with my hounds, most times it's with snowshoes on. It's over the hill and through the woods and grandma's house aint in sight. Thirsty, grab a hand full of snow, just make sure it's not yellow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Don't rip another mans way of hunting till you've been in his boots!!!

The only way I've been able to keep up with houndsmen is on a 4-wheeler. I just don't have the stamina they have to have for this sport.

great pics, great points, good post. Hey, Killcoyotes how do you like your plotts. I've never ran them, but i've always liked them.

I have heard a lot of different views on this subject and all I have to say is if you never hunted 'Yote with hounds you won't understand! The reason for a half a dozen dogs is to put PRESSURE on the 'yote to get it bayed or out in the open for a shot. that is hard to do with just one or two dogs because here in wisconny you have the snow factor during 'yote season. they get on top of a good snow crust and run flat out where the hounds bust thru. that is the reason for a half dozen more dogs more pressure. Now the whole picture thing GREAT shot. if the dogs stretched the yote so be it it is hard to get there quick enough at times. I prefer a good run by and shot with the 12 ga. but sometimes a stretch happens and can not be avoided but I will say a hound that stretches a 'yote is usually a better dog afterward....adds a lil spark to the dog. Great post! And yes all views need to be allowed or this would be a boring world!

the plott in the photo i sold. she is a good yote hound, but she couldn`t keep up with my redbones. she does have some grit, but was not a kill dog. i still get to hunt her every weekend, since i sold her to a freind.

you ever see a female yote lure a house dog out and then the pet is surrounded by the rest of the pack you won't see that dog again unless you are close and can stop it ain't pretty. the way I look at it the tables are turned it's a dog eat dog world. I didn't think that running hounds was much of a sport untill I went with a friend of mine that a houndsmen on a bear hunt that changed my opinion on it it was a rush I hope to go on a few more with him but I don't know his health is bad this year he didn't get a chance do to a mild stroke he had while filling his jeep for a hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
GREAT LOOKING PIC THOUGH if it was for sale and blown up I would buy one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I sorta hope the coyote bite the heck out of the hounds before they piled on and tore it's life away. .....

This is one of the most ignorant comments I have ever seen on a forum. Why would you want someone's trained dogs, that they have spent no telling how much training time and money on to get injured in the process of hunting a coyote? This goes back to my comment of letting the dogs do the work for you. Why chance a good dog getting hurt over a mangy coyote? Let the dogs pin them up and put that gun to good use. Letting the dogs kill your quarry is just a step away from a dog fighting ring, any way you look at it. I'm no animal rights activist by any means, but yotes are a dime a dozen, and it is just plain silly to risk injury to a good hunting dog over a yote. You should care about your dogs a little more than that.

XiBowhunter,You need to look at some past post,as we have had the debate about "coyote dogs"vs."fighting dogs".Hunting coyotes with dogs IS NOT DOG FIGHTING.I have 12,000$ tied up in hunting dogs.My dogs will decoy,blood trail,or fight a coyote.I love my dogs.They get the best feed,best medical care,and lots of hunting.That is more than most people can say for the dogs they keep.If you don't want to turn your dog out on a yote,thats your buss,but don't try to bust my balls for useing my dogs for what they are breed and trained to do. please keep an open mind.
caughtyote1.jpg

if a person is hunting with hounds there`s no way that a dog will not get bit sooner or later. no matter if it`s running coon,bear,cat or yotes. it`s just part of the sport, BUT NO WAY IS DOES IT COMPARE TO DOG FIGHTING. these hounds are not cheap and are taken care of in the best possible manner. i love my hounds and don`t like to see them get chewed up, but it does happen. duane, great post.

XiBowhunter
I run my hounds to run coyotes!! Not only is it my love but thier love to!! If i shot the yote the race is over!! 95% of the time its over by the time i get to them!!
When they catch (Now this is my opion) when they catch that just puts more drive in them and makes a better hound!!
I can feed a good hound just as good as a bad one!! If they do get tore up i have most meds here at my house that i can fix them up!! If by chance its over my head they go right to the vet!! I dont care if its sunday night at 12 mid night the vet gets called if needed!! I have stapled many hounds my self and have the drugs to make them better
if i ever loose a hound becuse of this , it will break my heart but the hound died doing what he or she loves!!
In the last 12 years running yote hounds i have probly spent $10,000 between C sections and hounds getting sick and so on!! The next 12 years if thats what it takes to keep them healthy so be it!!
I have had 3 hounds come down with kidney failer!! after all the test to find the problem is pro Ill bet its a easy $1000 oh well thats part of it!!

Vargy

Quote:
XiBowhunter,You need to look at some past post,as we have had the debate about "coyote dogs"vs."fighting dogs".Hunting coyotes with dogs IS NOT DOG FIGHTING.I have 12,000$ tied up in hunting dogs.My dogs will decoy,blood trail,or fight a coyote.I love my dogs.They get the best feed,best medical care,and lots of hunting.That is more than most people can say for the dogs they keep.If you don't want to turn your dog out on a yote,thats your buss,but don't try to bust my balls for useing my dogs for what they are breed and trained to do. please keep an open mind.
caughtyote1.jpg

Do you enjoy watching your dogs FIGHT a yote? One dog fighting another dog sounds like a dog fight to me. You should have more respect for your so called "trained" animals than that. This is not hunting in my book, this is you training a dog to attack and fight another wild dog. there is no hunting done on your end from what I have read. Guess what training a dog to attack another dog is called....a dog fight.

Back