yote gun help

ksnerd: Welcome to Predator Masters Forums. There is a wealth of information available on these pages.

There are a lot of guys on here that live in KS.(I'm assuming you live in KS) I'll bet you can get some knowledgeable, competent help for nothing. We're always looking for another place to hunt. There is bound to be some one close to you that would be glad to help you out. While you're at it you can get some quality advice on firearms, calibers, tactics and call sounds from some knowledgeable people.

Please excuse some of the tough replies. Some of us tend to speak our minds. But, we are usually speaking to those that already have a good bit of experience and know how to deal with what sometimes comes across as sharp comments. We always intend to help. Sometimes through criticism, sometimes through praise.

At first you expressed no interest in a .223 but, changed your mind. You will find there are a LOT or different calibers capable of humanely killing coyotes with proper shot placement. I almost always use a .223 for coyotes.

Best of Luck.

Originally Posted By: ksnerdDidn't think anyone was ripping me. Killers? I thought you were pizza delivery guys!
lol.gif
lol....yup, with guns. That's the way! And 7 total posts...and remember to take a pic, because if no pic, it just didn't happen. WELCOME!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NcWhitetailksnerd: Welcome to Predator Masters Forums. There is a wealth of information available on these pages.

There are a lot of guys on here that live in KS.(I'm assuming you live in KS) I'll bet you can get some knowledgeable, competent help for nothing. We're always looking for another place to hunt. There is bound to be some one close to you that would be glad to help you out. While you're at it you can get some quality advice on firearms, calibers, tactics and call sounds from some knowledgeable people.

Please excuse some of the tough replies. Some of us tend to speak our minds. But, we are usually speaking to those that already have a good bit of experience and know how to deal with what sometimes comes across as sharp comments. We always intend to help. Sometimes through criticism, sometimes through praise.

At first you expressed no interest in a .223 but, changed your mind. You will find there are a LOT or different calibers capable of humanely killing coyotes with proper shot placement. I almost always use a .223 for coyotes.

Best of Luck.

Yup, ks. People to help with competent advice?
lol.gif
The area the farm's in dislikes me and grandma because we're "outsiders." It doesn't help that I'm from a city, so I'm an outsider AND city slicker in their eyes. Their "competent" help was feeding me a line of bull that I had to sort between plausible and fake. And, my area is urbanized, so no help there! And have one of those fountains of knowledge mentioned above hunt yotes, aother big joke. Part of their thing of outsiders is that they can take (or think they can take) 'em for a ride. One person is trustworthy, but he's too busy running his own place.
Don't worry 'bout criticism, I have no problem with it.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: ksnerdDidn't think anyone was ripping me. Killers? I thought you were pizza delivery guys!
lol.gif
lol....yup, with guns. That's the way! And 7 total posts...and remember to take a pic, because if no pic, it just didn't happen. WELCOME!
proof, or it's considered a tale. Good policy! 7 posts; forum rule, unspoken rule, 7 started topics, what's that about? Please pardon the ignorance, I'll get the hang of this place eventually...
thumbup1.gif

Try asking on here. You don't have to publicly post exactly where you are. For example "need help near Garnett KS". You might be surprised.
I'm sure the one trustworthy guy would give you 10 min of his time if you showed up at his place and asked for his advise.
I met a bunch of nice folks when I was out there working. Two guys even offered to take me coyote hunting with them. I just didn't have time to take them up on the offers. I REALLY wish I could have.

Originally Posted By: NcWhitetailTry asking on here. You don't have to publicly post exactly where you are. For example "need help near Garnett KS". You might be surprised.
I'm sure the one trustworthy guy would give you 10 min of his time if you showed up at his place and asked for his advise.
I met a bunch of nice folks when I was out there working. Two guys even offered to take me coyote hunting with them. I just didn't have time to take them up on the offers. I REALLY wish I could have.
I was thinking that he would hunt the yotes. Definitely will ask him for advice. Naaah, I'll still avoid asking for help in the area of the farm. Garnett is much different than the area I'll be in. No doubt there's great folks in the state, but the area the farm's in just doesn't have 'em. At least they seem nice to your face, but treat ya like your stupid, give you bad info, and talk behind your back.

The only advice I can give if you're going to use a .223 is try not to use FMJ's. They'll definitely kill some but they'll also wound alot and zip half way into the next county if you miss. They're good for shootin paper but that's about it. I shoot 55gr Blitzkings and Hornady 52gr. BTHP's in my bolt gun. I also shoot Winchester 45gr. HP's and 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips in my AR. Any of them will do a coyote in dead as a hammer.

If you're wanting a .243 I've had the best luck with Nosler 95gr. V-Max and my brother shoots 87gr. V-Max. I've never seen even a bad hit do a coyote any good. It damaged it enough for a good hit to completely ruin it shortly after.

Originally Posted By: ksnerdOriginally Posted By: NcWhitetailTry asking on here. You don't have to publicly post exactly where you are. For example "need help near Garnett KS". You might be surprised.
I was thinking that he would hunt the yotes. Definitely will ask him for advice. Naaah, I'll still avoid asking for help in the area of the farm. Garnett is much different than the area I'll be in. No doubt there's great folks in the state, but the area the farm's in just doesn't have 'em. At least they seem nice to your face, but treat ya like your stupid, give you bad info, and talk behind your back. Boy, this thread is going someplace weird? Sounds like......I best keep my mouth shut ;-)

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: ksnerdOriginally Posted By: NcWhitetailTry asking on here. You don't have to publicly post exactly where you are. For example "need help near Garnett KS". You might be surprised.
I was thinking that he would hunt the yotes. Definitely will ask him for advice. Naaah, I'll still avoid asking for help in the area of the farm. Garnett is much different than the area I'll be in. No doubt there's great folks in the state, but the area the farm's in just doesn't have 'em. At least they seem nice to your face, but treat ya like your stupid, give you bad info, and talk behind your back. Boy, this thread is going someplace weird? Sounds like......I best keep my mouth shut ;-)
I'd say so. All I ask is for ammo/rifle/optic advice, and the thread goes off to left field somewhere. Go back to the topic, shall we?

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvBoy, this thread is going someplace weird? Sounds like......I best keep my mouth shut ;-)
High school maybe? Sad that a community can meet such a description, but it does...
back to the topic...

Last edited:
Your right, people here are giving you some advice...people here that clearly know much more than you...really don't care about how people in your area are talking about you behind your back or treating you!!! Now calm down and listen :)

Rifle reccomendations with paired optic. I've had reccomendations for the S&W M&P 15, Savage Axis, and Remington 700. Any others?

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvYour right, people here are giving you some advice...people here that clearly know much more than you...really don't care about how people in your area are talking about you behind your back or treating you!!! Now calm down and listen :)
I was explaining to a member why I didn't want advice from people in that area.

Originally Posted By: ksnerdRifle reccomendations with paired optic. I've had reccomendations for the S&W M&P 15, Savage Axis, and Remington 700. Any others? If you're wanting to go the AR route without spending alot you might check out the DPMS Sporticle or Oracle. Basically the same rifle except the Sporticle doesn't have the dust cover or forward assist. I shoot one and have no complaints except the factory trigger isn't very good at all. I replaced mine with a BTE single stage and it made a world of difference. They also offer the DPMS in .308 if you'd rather have an AR-10.

For the record. I sold my dpms ar-15 556/223.I now have a sweet ar-15 in 6.8spc...Very happy with it.~yotes dont like it so much. My .02 , Gary

Last edited:
Different calibers in an AR style rifle...sorry, I can't help there. The only AR I ever have owned was in .223 (wish I still had it, BTW).

If you're willing to go with a bolt gun offering, and want something larger, my four personal choices would be .243; .25-06; .270; or 7mm-08 in whichever manufacturer fits your bill.

I am of the opinion (based on 40 yrs experience behind a rifle), that unless you're shooting a caliber large enough for elephant....many times, unless the shot is in the brain, or thru the heart (both extremely small targets)....even a well-placed shot could turn into a "runner".
Coyotes can be extremely tough customers. They have an innate will to fight for survival, even if they are fatally hit.

As for people offering you advice...I live in Salina. Obviously, I don't know if that is close to where you are.
Currently, due to health issues, I am not hunting.
However, as someone who has been hunting coyotes since 1972, I am always willing to help someone with advice, if they ask.
However, if I am asked a question, and don't truly know the answer, I won't B.S. people. If I do not know the answer, I will admit that I don't know.

So, feel free to send me a personal message, if you are inclined to.

I wish you all the success in your endeavor.

I thing almost any caliber will work. I was reading an article where a rancher was out doing some work and had a 22LR saw a yote and was able to get that yote. It just depends on shot placement. I just got yhe savage axis in .243 good gun only ended up paying 300 for the and it came with a bushnell 3x9 scope. I believe this is a good starter gun for yote and if you wanna go after deer too. Very versital round Best of luck you.

Last edited:
Back