Wow… Early NY pup!

hunt0168

A buddy of mine just sent me a picture of a tiny coyote pup his girlfriend hit with her car! Seems crazy early to have a pup that left the den and crossed a road. Out of den and mobile it has to be 3-4 weeks old right? Meaning born early March. Just seems too early? Crazy!

I agree, very early. It has been a very mild "winter" here and I think there has been an early litter. I have held off on using pup sounds, but that will change.

I'm pretty sure that is a fox pup. I'm not sure about NY but here they are typically born a little earlier than coyotes. I have no idea why.

I'm pretty sure that is a fox pup. I'm not sure about NY but here they are typically born a little earlier than coyotes. I have no idea why.
Well I got a little more info this morning from the girl that hit it. She said she saw the mom coyote but didn’t see the pups until she hit it. Then she saw one other pup.

Fox crossed my mind as well but just going by what she said? She’s a country gal and knows what coyotes look like so IDK? If it’s a coyote pup it was born early for sure to be walking around with mom.

Cal, I think you’re right on this one. The more I look at the pic the more I think fox too. Those dark lower legs for one and the whole timing thing.

As much as I hate to admit it, I’ve never really looked at fox pup pics.

Ears, tail and leg color seem more foxy, even a month old coyote pup the ears look coyote. Size/scale would help. Not quite as leggy as coyote. Fox pups have short looking legs.

Back