Would you call this a predator? NEW PICTURES

MasterBlaster

IMG_1402_zpsid2c0nkq.jpg

I bet you would if you were a minnow! BangPop got this 18 pound rainbow on a trip he just got back from.
Nice fish pardner!
MasterBlaster

Last edited:
wow what a slab of chrome

thats a beauty. must have been a blast!

was it taken on a fly? or spincast or what?

and defiantly an upper part of the chain predator in their environment

13,000 miles and nearly 60 hours in airplanes and airports was definitely not any fun, but getting hooked up to giant rainbows like this one was unbelievable. The one pictured above weighed 18 pounds on a digital scale before being released in good shape. In the Patagonia region of Argentina there are some VERY remote places that have ideal conditions for growing huge trout. I was fortunate enough to catch another dozen that were between 10 and 15 pounds. And many between 5 and 10 pounds, all on the fly.

Being a coyote caller most of my life I thought I knew all about the wind. I can tell you that you don't know wind until you go to Patagonia. The lowest wind velocity the entire time I was there was 25 mph. It blew 50 mph every day and 70 to 75 mph one day. The wind was brutal.

I have never seen fish that are in better condition or any more beautiful than these. They fight HARD and spend a lot of time in the air. Some jumping 3 feet as many as 6 times, Incredible fish! Another treat was the petroglyphs we saw while there. Ancient Indians placed them on the lava rock cliffs between 8000 and 12000 years ago. I'll try to post some additional photos when I get time. It was a trip that I have wanted to make all my life and was fortunate to be able to pull it off.

Wow! Jealous enough of the fish to begin with. But traveling to Patagonia, paint me green!

- DAA

This is Predator Masters so I suppose we should talk a little about predators. They have fox in the area I was in, that without doubt chase the hare (looked exactly like a jack rabbit) around there. But without question the apex predator in the area are what they call Puma. I'll see if I can get Master Blaster (the brains of the team) to post a photo of a puma mummy skull. The owner of the estancia poison them as well as hunt them. Calling is not much of an option when the wind blows HARD for weeks on end. I talked to the owners son and he told me through an interpreter that the go out at night and spotlight them until they see eyes then put dogs on the scent trail until they bay the cat. He told me that they killed 240 puma on that 110,000 acre ranch in one year. I'm not sure I buy that, but I suspect there are quite a few there as I saw bone piles where they had killed guanaco. They raise cattle and also horses for human consumption in France. He said many of their horses have claw marks on their flanks from being attacked. More to come.

Last edited:
Please do post up the rock art. It's one of my hobbies. Have worn out many pair of boots seeking out petroglyphs and pictographs. As well as ruins artifacts. Have two backpacking trips planned for this spring to share previous discoveries with friends and one solo trip to seek out new ones.

- DAA

DAA, I'll see if I can get the pictures up through my life coach and chief photo poster Master Blaster. The owners son told me there is a place on the ranch with many intricate petroglyphs that is in a remote area that he had not been to in 18 years. I would have loved to go see them but I was there to fish. It took half a day to get to the area where the carvings I saw were.

Wow Pop, those are some absolutely amazing photos. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it was like to be there in person, probably sensory overload at the awe of everything. I'm certain that was a bucket list trip for sure.

Congrats on your success in putting it together and a huge thanks for sharing with those of us not fortunate enough to travel there at this time.

Back