World Championship Coyote Calling Contest

Originally Posted By: reaper4 Cmatra, I hear about these coyote gods that live under a rock and are never heard from but until I see them compete I have no way to know they exist. i follow many coyote hunters and can tell the difference between a guy like me and they kind of guy that can win that caliber contest. If you know guys that would beat them all hands down, I'm not sure why they don't enter and take the free money. I already have side bets on this years winner lol there's plenty of guys that enter this contest for support, not for simply "Payouts" and the top guys are usually only looking for "ONE" thing, such as myself....The coveted "WCCC" belt buckle! If you follow the best coyote hunters? You won't find them here much! They are of FB, instagram, Twitter. That's mainly where the "Killers" are at!

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvIf you follow the best coyote hunters? You won't find them here much! They are of FB, instagram, Twitter. That's mainly where the "Killers" are at!

so that is where they are. sneaky little devils.

I don't follow as I used to and follow my share of killers on Facebook. I agree that if you want to make money, coyote hunting ain't the way to do it lol I will have that buckle one day God willing nut for now I'll have to hunt closer to my side of the country and keep plugging away at land out that way

I won the big dog contest in 1999 and took 9th. and you need to have some connections I was on a million acre ranch and had other hunters come in on me and really mess up my plans or I could have really won that one. Now I can't find a partner it would be fun to do at 70 yrs of age I still go and hunt them. I had 9 by about 11 am when I got run over. And I think bamit had 15 total that year.

I'm betting there are plenty of killers out there that just don't internet nor feel the need to brag on their accomplishments. Just saying.

I agree that guys that are absolute killers exist outside of the public eye my only point was that if they don't hunt against the best we will never know who really has it nd who dont

Originally Posted By: crapshootI'm betting there are plenty of killers out there that just don't internet nor feel the need to brag on their accomplishments. Just saying. your vote don't count! Lol....still like you though! Ahaha

Anyone who ever hunted for coyote has hunted against the best. Corporate sponsors, TV shows, pushing Chinese made junk, hunting behind locked gates with a crew and gun bearer,cooking contests, bass fishing contests, reality TV, blah blah blah....Id rather go hunting alone and tell no one what I do. If the "champions" have not hunted against every hunter who ever hunted, how do you know they're the best? They are only the best of the small number of hunters they hunted against those days, and in that area.

I never said anyone was the best that ever lived. What I'm saying is that if you don't hunt contests against the best guys you can find you will never really know how you stack up. I like contests, some guys don't. I don't care either way what the next guy does. What I think is stupid is guys that talk like they are coyote gods but won't enter a contest. You might be a good hunter but never win a contest because it takes far more than knowing how to call a set to win consistently. What does hunting private land have to do with being a good hunter? Chinese junk? Care to enlighten us?

Originally Posted By: reaper4I agree that guys that are absolute killers exist outside of the public eye my only point was that if they don't hunt against the best we will never know who really has it nd who dont

Anyone who has won't this hunt knows what they are doing and are pretty good at it. Those that have one it more than once rank up there with the best of the best.

But it's not just how good you are, but how good is the land you hunt, how the coyotes are responding, and of course weather. Don't forget proper set up and can you shoot worth a crap.

But in the end, all it proves is who was best....that day.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: crapshootI'm betting there are plenty of killers out there that just don't internet nor feel the need to brag on their accomplishments. Just saying. your vote don't count! Lol....still like you though! Ahaha

Meh...
tt2.gif

If you don't get what I said, I can't help you. Most that are defending this crap joined this forum in the last 3 years, and a number of them are on my ignore list. Most of the world champions left this forum a long time ago.

All I'm saying is the contest has been out there for anyone that really wanted to join. If you don't like contests that's fine but don't trash talk guys that do. We all share a love for the same sport some guys do it a bit differently or enjoy different aspects of it. I would be happy to share a stand with anyone on this forum and don't really care how well we do if I'm not hunting a contest.

As a guy who has entered many a contests (never the WCCC (how many C’s are there btw?)).

Anyway, hats off to those who stick with it; me, not so much. Regardless what type of club, sponsor, etc. that is required, it is WORK!!!

You are going stand to stand, sometimes jogging (running for some). Taking in coffee, monster, 5 hour etc. just to stay awake. Literally grinding it out for 48 hours.

So, I wouldn’t necessarily say you are going against the “best” (see asterisk below) but you are going against the most disciplined, hardworking, dedicated group of individuals out there (I think Big Al said he put like 8,000 to 10,000 miles on his truck just scouting for the championship alone. I think that’s what he said).

But contests are a whole new arena for the predator enthusiast. I no longer partake because my competitive nature took over and the fun went out the window.

I do however, have the utmost respect for those that do. My hat comes off to you guys/gals.

*Everyone on PM is the best; just read their posts.

It's definitely tough hunting in contests. It's not for everyone but it sure is rewarding win you win one.

Originally Posted By: reaper4lol I agree with that. The hunting part of the contest is not fun at all, it's check in that makes it worth it

We have made friends with some of the other successful teams around, and sometimes mix and match teammates if necessary.

Perhaps my favorite part of the contests is the group text. We all know what's going on, and don't lie to each other. It's a game of highs and lows....

Last year, between stands I sent in that we had just killed back to back triples followed by back to back doubles (4 consecutive stands.). I felt pretty good for a couple of hours until I got a text that a team had just killed their 7th cat(obviously more valuable).... grrrrrrr that stings.

haha.. ya the texting is funny, sad, fustrating, and everything else in between..

Contests are not the same as regular hunting. You have to grind it out..

A few years ago my friend and I won a 30 team contest on what had to be the worst weekend of hunting there was all year. Snow, slush, wind, and all.. (it's half the reason i don't do it anymore) You have to deliver regardless. For some reason the contests i join all have terrible weather that weekend.
I will drive and locate, get 15-20 sites picked, and then just hunker down and sleep next to the truck at the best spot that is the farthest from check in, and make a plan for working my way back to check-in while making the most good stands i can.

I feel personally at the higher level contests, where there are good hunters that show up for these larger hunts here in the west..

The winners are usually the team that did the most prep, and make the fewest mistakes.

If you ask the teams in 2-10th places, Almost every single time they will tell you they called in at least enough to win, BUT.... wind, gun, miss communicated, missed shot, didn't see it until it left, you get the idea.

Anyways, i don't do them very much anymore since i feel guilty about doing them when i should be out with the kids teaching them. (hopefully my daughters will win some contests when they are older) But, for now i am happy helping out the contests, Check-in is crazy, and weigh in gets serious, but someone has to volunteer to do it.

Back