Woodchuck Whistle

Originally Posted By: Ohiochuck
Does anyone make a woodchuck whistle to use while hunting woodchucks?
Thanks!

The wood chuck chirp is very high pitched, and I haven't found anything high enough.

If you find one, let me know, I have been lookin' and tryin' everything I could think of, and all they do is make noise.
frown.gif

Not an exact replication of their sound, but I blow across an empty shell casing to make a higher whistling sound than I can make on my own. It'll make them stand up sometimes. I just whistled one up high enough to shoot Saturday by using my mouth. I could only see the top of the head and needed a few more inches for the shot
whistle.gif

^^^ I do the same as Corey.I have an elastic shell holder on the stocks of all my bolt guns and always have an empty case in it for just that reason.

Originally Posted By: 1up5down^^^ I do the same as Corey.I have an elastic shell holder on the stocks of all my bolt guns and always have an empty case in it for just that reason.

It's been my experience that the bird-like chirping sound they make is the best one to get their attention. They will stand and look for the other ground hog for a long time.

I was told that they think it is an intruding groundhog on their territory and they will stand tall, looking for the interloper.

I thought that getting that sound on an MP3 player and playing it back in the field might work well... I have the player, but not a clean version of the sound.

I also read a long time ago, that chirping bird calls work well - the little hand things that you twist... but I have never tried one.

Here is the sound I use on a 223 or 17rem shell case. The 243 cases seem to create a deeper sound and are less shrill. I've pistol whipped a few doing this to lure them out of the hole after a previous miss. I've lured some out several times in a row doing this or just whistling in a similar fashion.
Shell case whistle
Whistle by mouth

I just bought one from a company called King Tool. I haven't had a chance to get out and use it yet.http://www.king-tool.com
It it very high pitched like a dog whistle.

Originally Posted By: Droptine26I just bought one from a company called King Tool. I haven't had a chance to get out and use it yet.
http://www.king-tool.com
It it very high pitched like a dog whistle.

It is that the "Gopher call" that you are talking about??

As a matter of fact I have an AMP and a TOA horn mounted on my Kawasaki UTV, once the soybeans and hay get a little taller the WT sound works great, my granddaughter runs the MP3 player and I run the .222.

Back