Wolf or Coyote???

rpheifer

A friend of mine had this show up on his trailcam in NE Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago. Being a newcomer to the predator hunting circle I cannot tell what this is: Wolf or Coyote.

Your help would be greatly appreciated before I head out for a hunt this fall.

Thanks.

Ryan

Neenah, WI

Not sure, but a coyote will seldom have it's tail up like that.

To me, it looks more like a wolf, but we don't have many wolves around here and our coyotes would definitely be smaller.

Daryl

Here goes, I hate to be the first guy to open his mouth in fear of looking as ignorant as really I am, but I think it is a wolf. It has some big old feet on it to be a song dog. Even a mature coyote 60lbs wouldn't have a front paw that much more than 2&1/2 inches long.
confused.gif

Thanks for posting I'm excited to hear what everone else thinks.

Originally Posted By: doodle Here goes, I hate to be the first guy to open his mouth in fear of looking as ignorant as really I am, but I think it is a wolf. It has some big old feet on it to be a song dog. Even a mature coyote 60lbs wouldn't have a front paw that much more than 2&1/2 inches long.
confused.gif

Thanks for posting I'm excited to hear what everone else thinks.

Nothing to be ashamed about with ignorance of such a thing. I've been killing coyotes for better than 30 years, and I'm not sure either.

My experience is mostly with our smallish Arizona coyotes, and it looks too heavy boned, too large pawed, and the tail in the wrong position for a coyote to me.

I also know very little about wolves, other than seeing a few introduced ones up north of here. But, it doesn't look like a coyote to me; especially with the tail up.

Like I said, I don't know.

Daryl

I am no expert either but I have shot many coyotes up north and in west and this doesn't look like any yote I have ever shot. I would say young wolf or a coydog. My guess is young wolf, just by looking at the paws they are way too big to be a yote. JMO HAPPY HUNTING

i'm saying 100% coyote. looks like he is in he process of urinating as the camera took the picture. Hence the tail position and rear leg up. I've shot and have lots of trail cam pics of michigan (next-door) coyotes. Definately a 'yote..
smile.gif

Definately a big ole coyote, had a young timber wolf try to coax my lab out into the field last winter and believe me, when you see a wolf, you'll know its a wolf. No mistaking.

ruger300

Looks like one of our MI yotes. As stated above, doing the deed. From the few wolves I have seen in other places, you know it for sure.

B

I'm with predator caller,that's a coyote,in the process of marking the spot and possibly following up with a kennel point.Due to the fact that it is black and white and no other objects of known size,looks can be misleading though.

Back