Wolf in Kansas?? Surely Not!

The best part is after he got the results back he said cool now can I go pick it up and the response was NO because you dont have a tag for the wolf and lucky that you dont get into trouble for this

Breaking News
Test confirms wolf was killed in Kansas last month
The Associated Press The Kansas City Star
Updated: 2013-01-29T19:37:15Z
Order Reprints
More NewsRead more Breaking NewsJanuary 29
The Associated Press
A state parks official says tests have confirmed that an animal killed by hunters in Trego County in December was a wolf.
DNA testing conducted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service confirmed the animal was a western Great Lakes wolf, a subspecies of the gray wolf.
Ron Kaufman, a spokesman for the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, says officials haven't determined whether the wolf was wild or had been in captivity.
The Hays Daily News reported Monday the last confirmed killing of a gray wolf in Kansas was during the winter of 1938-39.
The animal's body has been turned over to the federal wildlife agency. Gray wolves are a protected species outside extreme northern United States. Trego County is between Hays and Colby in western Kansas.
The hunters have not been identified.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/29/4037277/test-confirms-wolf-was-killed.html#storylink=cpyv

Also the reason why the easterns are more nocternal then westerns as well as more color phases seen in the easterns . I saw a black killed in south jersey that I would have thought was someones dog . DNA confirmed it a hybrid coyote wolf.

Originally Posted By: deaddog7117

Still hard to believe. No way to tell if it had ever been in captivity, but a strange story regardless.

Why is that? There have been two documented and confirmed wolves killed in Missouri in the last couple of years. Both were young males around 100 pounds and DNA (one also wore an implanted tag) places them from the upper mid-west wolf packs.

Back