With all this bad mouthing of Remington and their 700's...

Sickles107

Remington 700 sps varmint 22-250
B&C Medalist M40 stock
leupold VX-1 4-12

Hornady Superformance 50gr vmax

3 shot groups at 100 yards

Shot with a bipod and a sweatshirt under the rear of the stock

XoDxB.jpg

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Never had a Remmy that wouldn't shoot.

Nice shooting!

Same here, and they are a heck of a lot better to look at than a Salvage.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Never had a Remmy that wouldn't shoot.

Nice shooting!

Same here, and they are a heck of a lot better to look at than a Salvage.

YouDamnBetcha!!

Remmy gets a bad rap in my opinion. I cant tell you how many I have had over my lifetime and I havent had one that wasnt reliable and acurate. Their CS also gets a bad rap too. I recently had a minor issue with one of my rifles, something that was clearly my fault, so I contacted their customer service and explained what I had done and they still honored my mistake and I had the part in less than a week. So I really cant complain!! I still like Remington...just bought a new Wingmaster actually...and its as nice as any others I have had.

My issue with Remington is on principle more than real world experience. I live a few minutes from where the 700 is made. After all the QC horror stories I have heard, I'll pass on anything the Freedom Group produces. It's all about pushing product and nothing about good QC. I have been told by some of the old timers that there are fresh-from-school engineers running entire production lines with zero experience. If a solid company buys the Freedom Group and runs it properly I may change my tune. I really doubt it'll ever happen.

I'd never owned a Remington 700 until about a year ago. Now I have two SPS Tactical 20" .308 rifles. Both topped with NF scopes and both with Jewell triggers. These rifles are flat crazy accurate. Being able to dial my scope and hit targets out to 1000 yds? Made me a believer.

Now I'm looking for a Remington SPS .223.
After I finish my new project. But I won't mention it here......I'll keep y'all posted when its done though.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaNow I'm looking for a Remington SPS .223.

I would never knock the SPS. I have killed my share of game with one in several calibers. I'd buy one in a heart beat. But you should take a look at the VTR. My VTR is as accurate of a rifle that I have ever owned.

I get tired of all the bad talk about Remington. For years I have owned many of them with zero problems. If I ever have a problem, I'd be willing to bet, that their customer service is great.

I've owned a bunch over the years. Never had one I couldn't get to shoot. Some took more work than others,glass bedding, new stock, trigger job, even had to blue print the action on a couple but I could always get them to shoot. I will agree that Remington's QC has gone way down hill in recent years but in my opinion it's because they are trying to compete in the cheap gun market. Those flimsy tupperware stocks they use are horrible!

I'm a big fan of the 700 and have owned many, but I will say I will not buy a "New" one. Their qc has gotten to be basically non existent. My last nib 700 was a XCR Compact Tactical 223 1100.00 rifle and it wouldn't chamber a round out of the box.

I have several of the 700's and would by another. They shoot great. I hear rumors on the internet but do not know anyone personally that has had any of the problems I hear about.

I own several and all perform well. I had one barreled with a shilen it shoots great, but my vssf 250 shoots just as well.

Originally Posted By: reb8600I have several of the 700's and would by another. They shoot great. I hear rumors on the internet but do not know anyone personally that has had any of the problems I hear about.

I've had several, that said I've seen two that went off with accidental discharges where the guy's fingers were nowhere near the trigger, neither one mine.

You don't have to have seen it yourself to believe it can happen, the problem was/is real and what made it worse was Remington denying it and continuing to make more that could be inherently bad. The man who designed the trigger mechanism acknowledges it was flawed and designed the fool proof fix which Remington refused to spend the money fixing.

I have and would still buy older ones, but I would run them through a safety on, lift the bolt handle routine to make sure I didn't have one subject to going off.

The .243 ADL I saw go off went off after I was aiming at something, I didn't shoot so I put the safety on, and later when we were leaving I took the safety off and lifted the bolt handle to clear the rifle and it went off as I started the bolt lifting. Both of us said "whoa, what the F"? Dave said he'd had it go off a couple of other times so he was very careful with it, yet he hadn't said anything to me prior to that.

People who practice safe handling will never have a problem. Most of the injuries can be attributed to those who weren't observing the first rule.

I'm sorta thinking 99.9% of the 700's made will never fail, but there is that tiny little percentage that it's best to be aware of rather than having 100% faith in the safety and that period when you are lifting the bolt handle on a live round.

There's always upgrading the trigger too. At some point the problem was addressed with a new trigger style, so nothing to worry about on the newer ones as far as I know.

There is a video out there of a marine sniper showing an intentionally induced misfire, he saw the rifle do it at the range and wanted to see if it would do it again.

Back