Windy conditions?

This little canine was either a black Fox or a small black coyote.

It was 5/8 mile out, laying in a dip on some low foothills. Wind at it's backside. I passed on it, as I thought it was a dirtclod? (my eyesight sucks anymore). Not until I got home & zoomed up my pics. Could I then tell it was indeed a canine. DUH! I'm thinking of taking up knitting?

I darkened the pic, to make out it's ears staring my way.
9d4ba4a7-1.jpg

4455f85b-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rich CronkHey Kirby,
I lost a hay bale out your way, and I think maybe you found it?
lol.gif

Oh DUH! I get you now Rich
laugh.gif
. Yup it was your bale, a furry one at that.

Originally Posted By: kirbyOriginally Posted By: Rich CronkHey Kirby,
I lost a hay bale out your way, and I think maybe you found it?
lol.gif

Oh DUH! I get you now Rich
laugh.gif
. Yup it was your bale, a furry one at that.
-----------------------------
AHHHHH, HAAA HAAA!
thumbup.gif
Ya know Kirby, I haven't had the energy to go hunting lately.

Sorry to hear that Rich. I'll say a prayer fur ya. Getting back out in the field is good medicine. An old coyote hunter can only take so much indoor life. Hang in there.

I have the day off tomorrow from work, so I'm giving it a shot regardless. Winds are going to be 25mph gusting to 35mph. Hopefully not so bad at 1st light. I've been preparing all evening. Trying out a new property with a work friend & the wind direction will be right for our setup. Excited is putting it MILDLY! Trying to break a dry spell.

Kirby,
I make fun of you a lot over here, and you take it in stride. You are obviously a good spot and stalk coyote hunter, and I love your closeup photos of the foxes.

Windy as heck here in Missouri the last several days! Today, it's a stiff NW wind that's blowing steady at 20 to 23 mph, gusts probably a little higher. If the weather channel is even close for tomorrow, the wind dies down into the single digits in the morning with an overnight low of 14 degrees tonight. It's supposed to be sunny and clear too.

I'll admit, I didn't go out yesterday afternoon due to the windy conditions. Keep in mind that I'm a novice and have little experience hunting yote's in the wind.

MoFire

Funny thing is I thought poor ole Rich, he's getting senile? I don't see any hay bale??? Then it dawned on me, I was the senile one
laugh.gif
blink.gif

Rich, pm me your address. I'll make you a carved/scrimshaw wood plaque of a coyote or bobcat(your choice) here in a few months. Pick your critter.

I've hunted 12x this season only seen a couple. Coyote pop is way down in my area. A boatload of Reds around, but theys holed-up in culvert tubes most days. Coming out at night.

A couple of nights ago, there were two fighting in our back yard. Every Winter a Red will come check out our bird feeder for scraps.
---------------------------------
As for high winds. I've seen plenty of coyotes out in high winds. Even on bitter cold days. They were always on the down-wind slopes of the foothills. Mostly traveling cross-wind.

Zoomed in on some. They had their eyes squinted & ears laid back. No they don't like high winds all that much. But they will tolerate them to an extent.

I've also seen them traveling into bitter cold high winds. They'll zig-zag/neander there way through a (head wind). If/when that is the direction they so choose to go. Cutting the wind from off of their face.

Last edited:
Speaking of wind & Red Fox. I just happend to catch this female moving her pups 1/2 mile. From a wet ditch culvert to a dry shelter on an abandoned farmsted.

Wind was blowing near 20mph this day. Catching a female moving/carrying pups on film is a rare find.

3518af51.jpg

Originally Posted By: kirbySpeaking of wind & Red Fox. I just happend to catch this female moving her pups 1/2 mile. From a wet ditch culvert to a dry shelter on an abandoned farmsted.

Wind was blowing near 20mph this day. Catching a female moving/carrying pups on film is a rare find.

3518af51.jpg

Kirby, I'm loving your fox pictures. This one is a spectacular sight!

Once when we were staying in a hunting cabin in the middle of no where, I woke up early to sounds under the cabin. Looked out the window and saw a momma fox moving her babies from under the cabin to a thicket closer to the pond out back. One by one, she carried them, over the exact same non-existant path each time. Daddy fox showed up at the new den soon after. (Obviously our sudden appearance in the cabin the night before had unsettled them.)

An hour or so later we heard a bull alligator that literally rattled the windows. (Largest 'gator I have EVER heard.) I've always hoped the fox family found better real estate, farther from that monster!

A Cool sight huh, Miz Kiz. The female in the pic is an older female. Once she set her mind on moving her pups. She started moving & never stopped until she was done. She carried each one 1/2 mile to another site. Very quickly I might add.

Back