Will we ever be able to avoid the long wait time?

Hidalgo

Will we ever be able to just fill out a form similar to ATF Form 4473 to get a suppressor instead of waiting forever? Seems like it amounts to the same thing as far as ATF is concerned ......

Are they doing a more detailed background check? Or just making us wait "just because" ........ ?

The people at the top of the ATF are, for the most part, anti gun bureaucrats. They have no motivation to not make firearms owners lives difficult. There was an interview posted on youtube recently that indicated that, according to ATF, there were 1,069,000 suppressor applications done in fiscal 23, and 40 examiners to process that paperwork. It's hard to believe that those numbers are correct, but the current wait times tell the tale. They have done nothing to decrease wait times. The e-file was supposed to bring wait times down to 90 days. I e-filed a form 4 on January 27 2023 and got approval on January 23, 2024. 362 days. That's a hell of a lot longer than 90 days. So the answer to your question is, No we will not see a significant improvement in suppressor availability as long as the political structure stays the same at ATF.

.........according to ATF, there were 1,069,000 suppressor applications done in fiscal 23, and 40 examiners to process that paperwork.

If there are THAT many applications, it would seem to me that they would realize that suppressors have gone from a rarity ... to a normalcy. That figure is staggering. I would have never thought it was that many.

The laws obviously need an overhaul. What are they looking for that doesn't show up on a routine background check like is done with a 4473 ?

If there are THAT many applications, it would seem to me that they would realize that suppressors have gone from a rarity ... to a normalcy. That figure is staggering. I would have never thought it was that many.

The laws obviously need an overhaul. What are they looking for that doesn't show up on a routine background check like is done with a 4473 ?
I got my first suppressor 8 or 9 years ago and remember the number of applications was around 350,000 per year at that time. It really is as simple as they have no motivation to increase the number of examiners, therefore decreasing the wait time. Make me the Overlord of the ATF and they would receive about $1 per year to run their operation. That and any of their agents involved in anything like Fast and Furious would be looking for a pension somewhere other than .gov.

What it tells you is the 4473 is all most worthless, look at the Hunter B. plea deal. Now if your CCW permit was part of the process, it could be done over the phone like the 4473. Because the CCW is background checked locally, which is what the ATF claims is the slowest part of the suppressor/sbr. So all the work(criminal checks) have been done. Maybe they just don't want to have as many to confiscate in 2030?

As much as I usually like to play devils advocate and hedge toward the negative. I don't see any conceivable scenario where suppressors are NOT taken OFF the NFA list. That's what it will take. Even if they remain considered "Firearms" which is inconceivable, they will default down to a 4473 NICS check which is essentially a walk in/walk out for most of us.
The amount of states that have passed legislation in both person use, and hunting over the past 10 years...is more than the last 50 years put together.
The ATF doesn't have anything to do with it other than put up a fight each time it comes before congress going forward...and it will, more and more often.

I'm optimistic that there will be change in the next 2 election cycles. How much, I don't know. I'd like to say they are deregulated completely, and I feel that will happen over time, but right now, I'd settle for them being taken off the NFA.

Suppressors are an over the counter item in Europe.

There is probably another angle to this. This is just my speculation and I could be way off here. But look at the margins the manufacturers that jump through the hoops have in these devices. There's really not much to one but they sell for more than a lot of complete rifles. If they are de-regulated there will be a lot more competition and prices will drop. So do they want them off the nfa? Honest question.

This is why I have never bought a suppressor. As bad as I'd like to have one I may not have the rifle a year from now. I do like trading and getting something different now and then. I have always had the thought if I'm legal to buy a firearm, why a year long wait to buy a can?

This is why I have never bought a suppressor. As bad as I'd like to have one I may not have the rifle a year from now. I do like trading and getting something different now and then. I have always had the thought if I'm legal to buy a firearm, why a year long wait to buy a can?
No offense, but that's a silly reason.
You'll own and use the suppressor longer than you'll have a rifle or scope.

No offense, but that's a silly reason.
You'll own and use the suppressor longer than you'll have a rifle or scope.

No offense, but your comment is silly. Who are you to tell someone what they can or should do with their money? Everyone has their own reasons and justifications for their choices in life. No need to call someone silly for their choices just because you think they are wrong. Kinda brash don't you think?

No offense, but your comment is silly.
So YOU can say my comment is silly, but I can't? Is that what you're doing here? See how silly that is.

Who are you to tell someone what they can or should do with their money?
I did no such thing.

Kinda brash don't you think?
no, not at all.

I do like trading and getting something different now and then.
All I did was offer a counter point that he may not have considered. That many don't consider. Myself included when I bought my first.
Fact is, your suppressor is an NFA item that will likely outlive you, and your kids. Guns come and go. They have a "shelf like" persay...but one suppressor can go on most of your rifles for as long as you OR your kids live.
Many first time buyers don't realize you can use a suppressor on more than one firearm.
If you think everyone is overly sensitive, that's ok. I assume people have relatively thick skin...especially adults.

LOL ... You left out the most important thing that I said ......... "Everyone has their own reasons and justifications for their choices in life. No need to call someone silly for their choices just because you think they are wrong."

No matter what you say, you said his reasoning was silly. Plain and simple language that is readable and clear. Thick skin for adults? How about being respectful? Or does that not apply also?

LOL ... You left out the most important thing that I said ......... "Everyone has their own reasons and justifications for their choices in life. No need to call someone silly for their choices just because you think they are wrong."

No matter what you say, you said his reasoning was silly. Plain and simple language that is readable and clear. Thick skin for adults? How about being respectful? Or does that not apply also?
that's just silly

And just like that...WE HAVE OUR ANSWER!!!

Screenshot_20240327_145135_Instagram~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240327_145156_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240327_145251_Instagram.jpg

Why are some of these getting approved so quickly ,while others are waiting 6 months to a year ? Talk about cutting in line !
From what I have gathered...

The "individual" has really sped up.

I watched a video on it today and the way the lawyer explained it is that instead of all the forms (individual, trust, company) going to the same place, they are now separated. He also explained how the special type trusts really slow things down because they have to actually be reviewed by a person.

Back