Why shotgun for close range?

There were 4 of us good friends once on a hunt, we all lined up in a row so as to not shoot each other, about 30 yards apart.

We were all hand calling.

We had one coyote run in at what looked like 40 mph, and all three rifle guys were unloading on him, hitting behind him on every shot. I missed him once at 30 yards on a broadside shot, then he took off straight away. I got him with one pellet in the back of the head on a very long shot.

Most forget that they have to leade a coyote on a dead run or NOT stop the swing of the rifle or they will shoot behind him every shot.

Spotted one coming in this morning from 200 + yards. Head on all the way in at warp speed, eyes fixed on the spinning decoy. Barked, yelled, screamed, could not get him to stop!!! Got within 30 yards. Hard right and over the hill. Gone!!! Could have used a shotgun today!!!!!

Somehow they know when I carry my shotgun. I'll carry that thing all day and as soon as I leave it in the truck, I'll have one staring at me from 12 yards. I will shotgun one day!!

I used to carry both a shotgun and a rifle, but now I use a over/under 222 on top and a 20 gauge 3 inch mag on bottom and I love it.

Originally Posted By: DidymusI used to carry both a shotgun and a rifle, but now I use a over/under 222 on top and a 20 gauge 3 inch mag on bottom and I love it.

Boom, best of both worlds.

One of these days i'm getting one.

BRNO 12ga/22 Savage HP 1 1/4oz NP BB 55gr Buffalo Arms bullet

Drilling 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer 1oz NP BB 90gr Speer

Bernardelli 12ga/5.6x50R Magnum 1 1/4oz NP BB 52gr Speer

Near or far they are death to coyotes. No selectors or hammers to cock these are handiest of combo guns, a couple of them even have set triggers for the rifle barrel and they are very accurate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot"Why shotgun for close range?"

after you call coyotes for awhile and you get it all figured out pretty good and start having coyotes run in to you at 30mph, never stop, and run away at 40mph, you will no longer wonder "why shotgun for close range".

and i dont care what scope you have on a rifle. when a coyote is running full out at close range they are very hard to hit with a rifle. very, very hard.

Yep this sums it up pretty well.

Im using a Winchester SX3 4 Buck.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Close range comes in more than one flavor.Trying to follow a running criter through wooded brushy uneven terrain.Let alone getting a single projectile through it is difficult to say the least.

Call a Bobcat in close and only have the rifle in hand and you will understand why you would really want a shotgun.

I learned the hard way.. Hit a Lynx at 40 yards with 22-250 and a softball size chunk of fur flew off.. Ruined the pelt.

I called a double in,(coyote/bobcat) The biggest cat i have seen in a while pulled up next to me at 10yrds. Shotgun saved the pelt.

There is also something to be said for getting them close enough to shotgun. (i hate walking to retrive.. lol)

Back