Why no gun safes in the basement??

Originally Posted By: SShooterZMine is in the basement. With a golden rod inside, I don't worry too much about moisture.

Mine has been in the basement for 10 yrs with a golden rod inside and I have no worries. And I have a bunch of stuff in there. I trust it.. I have no problems what so ever..

I live a bi level my safes are in the lower level. In winter
there's no problem , but in the summer with ac going I run a dehumidifier , which has to be emptied once a day. Also
my safe set's 4" off the floor.

It is because if you have a fire, the FD applies water and it fills the basement. My safe is not only fire resistent, but guaranteed waterproof for 72 hours. You must attach the safe to the floor though, because believe it or not it will float.

I had my safe lowered into the basement while building and built the house over it. The next owner will have a nice safe and I will replace it with the sale of the house. I ran a dehumidifier in the beginning year do to dampness of the cement curing but have not had a problem since. If my house would burn and fall into the basement then I have a worst problem than the loss of some firearms. I have the safe to stop your common scum bag thief from just walking off with anything. They may get it but their going to have a challenge in store for them. But I think the real answer to the question is it would depend on the basement. Some are extremely damp with steep stairs that in no way would I ever put a safe in. And some are dry and used as everyday living space.

Yeah when I ordered my safe they said they wouldn't and couldn't put it in the basement. They said they have to have at lest 6-7 ft behind where your stairs go down in order to get a safe the dolly and a person down the stairs. In my house I have about 4 ft behind my stairs and there is a closet door and a wall there. So even though I wanted it down there the weight of the safe and the room by my stairs put the end to that. I guess if I ever move I will not have to bring it back upstairs.

Last edited:
Because the beer required to get enough buddies to help you put the heavy SOB in your basement, will only be surpassed by the beer required to get them to help you move it out, should you ever decide to move or buy a new BIGGER safe!

Moisture... Flooding...

Originally Posted By: MTurboNO PICS!!!!??

Is that directed at me? If so I don't have any yet because my safe was 6 weeks out when I ordered it about a week and a half ago. I will post some up when it gets in though.

thumbup.gif
It will raise the value of your house!

I knew a Dr. who put one in his garage but did not have it bolted to the concrete as suggested. In a few weeks, the Housekeeper told somebody and they opened the doors, he backed up a truck, and stole guns and safe altogether. Of course they were caught easily and everything recovered but it is a lesson learned!
thumbup.gif

That has happened here locally numerous times but they have not caught many of them or found the guns. They have found empty safes dumped. A high percentage of the time it is someone you know that is involved.

I was going to put my safe in the basement. But when I saw how big it is and the listed weight of 1080 lbs, and thought about trying to wrestle it down the wooden steps. No, if that thing would get away from us or the steps caved in, it would have killed everyone old enough to die. It sets up stairs.

PaPa 260

Back