Why do some folks shoot 70+ grain bullets in their 223?

wahoowad

I'm not knocking those who do it...and I clearly get it if that is what shoots straight for ya...it just sounds like a heavy bullet for what I typically think most would use in 223. I would think most would opt for something like a 243 if you feel you need a 75 grain bullet for whatever you're shooting.

I ask as I have a new 223 (Savage Model 16, 22", 1-9 twist) and thinking about what would be good to try. I have a small stockpile of some Winchester 53 gr. hollowpoints so leaning towards that for both 'yotes and groundhogs. So far I'm still breaking in the barrel using some cheap FMJ stuff.

I used to shoot the 77gr SMK in my AR but that was only for long range steel plinking (800 meter). It would be a waste IMHO to use for like 200yd varmint hunting. There are much better alternatives for much less that do a far better job.

One of my uppers (ARPerformance) just likes the 77 gr bullets better than the lighter ones. I'm sure if I reloaded I could work up a load for the 50's or 55's, but I was looking for a factory round that grouped the best. The blue box SMKs did the job the best -- sub MOA.

I also use them in another rifle for 3 gun but that's another story and has to do more with wind.

My RRA likes the inexpensive Fiocci's in 50 gr VMAX, so that's what I feed it.

Sendit

Some use a heavier bulet in their .223 because they are using it to Deer Hunt with,my Friend uses 75 grain hollow points I think to Deer Hunt with.

Personally I'm going with a lighter bullet for Coyote Predator Hunting....just sighted my Savage Axis XP Camo .223 with Hornady 55 grain V-max shells and it shoots Awesome with those loads!

As happy as I've been shooting 75 A-Max's in a 223AI, I've kinda wondered why anyone would want to shoot anything else.

Originally Posted By: KDFAs happy as I've been shooting 75 A-Max's in a 223AI, I've kinda wondered why anyone would want to shoot anything else.

Me too.
thumbup1.gif

I havent gone that big but I am working up a load for the 60gr Vmax....Its very windy here most of the time and the 55gr gets blown around quite a bit. I am hoping that the 60 is better at bucking the wind, if not, I will move up.

Powerfisher,

Check out the 53 gr Vmax bullets, they have a higher BC than the 50,55 and 60 gr Vmax. In theory, they should be impacted less by the wind.

Goodluck!

I shoot 68gr hornady hp. I like their terminal performance better than any of the 45-60 gr bullets i have tried over the years.

The reason the 53 V-max has a higher BC than the 50, 55, and 60grn V-max is because it is the ONLY one of the 4 with a boattail. This doesn't really mean it bucks the wind better. Sure, the less velocity it loses over range, the less ToF the bullet has to drift, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's REALLY significantly less impacted by the wind.

I'd kinda like to know why it's the only one of the 4 that's BT though?

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorThe reason the 53 V-max has a higher BC than the 50, 55, and 60grn V-max is because it is the ONLY one of the 4 with a boattail. This doesn't really mean it bucks the wind better. Sure, the less velocity it loses over range, the less ToF the bullet has to drift, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's REALLY significantly less impacted by the wind.

I'd kinda like to know why it's the only one of the 4 that's BT though?

The 50 V-Max DOES have a boat tail (and the 52 does too) - the same size as the boat tail on the 53 V-Max.

Higher BC means better "wind bucking", no matter how the higher BC is achieved. Wind drift is a direct function of BC.

The boat tails on the 50, 52, and 53 are small, and identical... the BC improvement of the 53 comes from the change in shape of the ogive.

Agree'd CatShooter, I noticed that it seems to have gone back to the bigger diameter plastic tip like they had when they first brought that design to the market. If you ever get a hold of a box of older Hornady polymer tipped bullets the tip on them was enormous! It looks very long for a mid 50's weight bullet, which I'm sure is due to more plastic tip and a bit less lead used in it's design. You can kinda tell by looking at it, that has a similar ogive design to the .264 123 g. Amax (which sports a BC of .510). I have often wondered if Hornady's BC claims are a bit lofty. On the other hand, Sierra always seems to claim a BC that is much lower then I would expect.

Originally Posted By: MPFDAgree'd CatShooter, I noticed that it seems to have gone back to the bigger diameter plastic tip like they had when they first brought that design to the market. If you ever get a hold of a box of older Hornady polymer tipped bullets the tip on them was enormous! It looks very long for a mid 50's weight bullet, which I'm sure is due to more plastic tip and a bit less lead used in it's design. You can kinda tell by looking at it, that has a similar ogive design to the .264 123 g. Amax (which sports a BC of .510). I have often wondered if Hornady's BC claims are a bit lofty. On the other hand, Sierra always seems to claim a BC that is much lower then I would expect.

Actually, me too - in fact I am preparing a BC test of the 53 V-Max and plan to run it over the next few weeks (IF I can get the time before the weather falls, and the idiots take over the shooting range.
frown.gif
)

I think 0.290 sounds a bit high - and I do agree about Sierra - if you use the Sierra program with the Sierra bullets, they are dead on in their prediction.

It is because they test each new design against their own (weird) program and tweak the BC so they track right on - it has been my experience that if you use Sierra bullets, and you know the MV and have a 100 yd zero, and you use the Sierra software, you can dial in any range you want, and hit right on. You can't do it with other programs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KDFAs happy as I've been shooting 75 A-Max's in a 223AI, I've kinda wondered why anyone would want to shoot anything else.
Yep. Nailed it right here.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterActually, me too - in fact I am preparing a BC test of the 53 V-Max and plan to run it over the next few weeks (IF I can get the time before the weather falls
frown.gif
)

I think 0.290 sounds a bit high - and I do agree about Sierra - if you use the Sierra program, they are dead on in their prediction. It is because they test each new design against their program and tweak the BC so they track right on - it has been my experience that if the know the MV and have a 100 yd zero, you can dial in any range you want, and hit right on. Can't do it with other programs.

That's good info once again! I'm glad you came back and started posting again. Your knowledge is a valuable resource!

Back