Why are McMillan stocks so much better than HS Precision?

fw707

I gotta admit I've never even seen a McMillan stock, and I'm sure they are one of the very best (or THE best) out there, but why are they so much better than the HS stocks?
confused.gif

Just guessing here.
The outer laminates are better. The filling does a better job of dampening vibrations. The inletting is as close to perfect as possible. The finishes are great.
Yes, I like them.
I have built a lot of rifles and the ones put in McMillan stocks are the most accurate.

Jack

Manners stocks are on the same level as McMillan, both are built to order. Either one is built better than a HS Precision. McMillan and Manners also have a lifetime warranty if you happen to damage them, don't know about HS Precisions warranty.

Seems all my answers are taken
cry.gif

I have several H-S stocks and several B&Cs, and while they are not bad, I like my McMillans better........

Literally ALL of my personal stocks are McMillan. The quality is simply superb on McMillan.

Another REAL difference is the folks. When I was writing for the gun-funnies, I worked with the McMillan guys many, many times and it was always a totally GREAT relationship.

I worked with the H-S folks once. Longtime readers might remember VHA Custom Gun #13, the .25-'06 on a Remington 700 action that was barreled and stocked by H-S Precision. I will make absolutely no comment, other than to say that I worked with H-S Precision ONCE

If I was in the market for a synthetic stock tomorrow, I would instantly call McMillan. There is no doubt that I would experience happy, intelligent folks who are well-versed in their product and who are completely interested in seeing that I get the perfect stock for my needs and wants.

Steve Timm

Thanks for all the replies. The only negative I've ever heard on the McMillans is the cost, and seems like everybody that has one says they are well worth their cost.

I'm considering one for my old faithful .270 ADL 700. From reading their website it looks like the standard stocks have no pillars or bedding blocks.
confused.gif

Do you need to bed the standard stocks?
Do you get the optional pillars?
What is their delivery time running now?

Thanks again!

I've never owned a McMillan but I have a couple of HSPs as factory furniture on Remington rifles. Definitely not things of beauty but functional just not a 'custom gun fit' by any stretch.

I have had a couple HS-Precision stocks. They were acceptable as a factory stock substitute. My real beef with them was the first transducer system I owned. It was purchased from HS-Precision. At that time we were young and naive. We expected them to produce SAAMI spec. equipment. That did not happen.

John

Originally Posted By: fw707Thanks for all the replies. The only negative I've ever heard on the McMillans is the cost, and seems like everybody that has one says they are well worth their cost.

I'm considering one for my old faithful .270 ADL 700. From reading their website it looks like the standard stocks have no pillars or bedding blocks.
confused.gif

Do you need to bed the standard stocks?
Do you get the optional pillars?
What is their delivery time running now?

Thanks again!

Yes, you can get optional pillars, might be an extra $25-30 for two pillars installed. They look very good installed. I always go for this option, doesn't hurt...

No, you don't need to bed if you don't want too. I've shot McM bedded and non bedded and both shot very well. I bed all my McMillan since it doesn't hurt if you bed it correctly.

My last McM A5 I just received about 2.5 weeks ago. It was 3 months till it was done. I've been seeing Mickey's arrive as little as 10 weeks just recently. Seems they're 2-4 month, currently.

Thanks again for the replies.

The .270 is one of those guns that's found a permanent home, so I might just get a McMillan on order for it.

So is it best to just call McMillan and place an order?

If you're a member of 24hourcampfire.com, they still have the "Christmas special" for Mcmillan's still up. You'll save roughly about $50 on a McMillan. If your not a member, just sign up for the site. It's free and it'll take you less then 10 minutes to save $$$ on a Mickey.

I'd recommend going that route.

I have both my 243AI,6RemAI and 6BR in H&S stocks have a 30-06,300WSM,221FB in McMillian stocks all those rifle have good barrels and shoot some pretty good groups.

I've had good luck with both stocks. I've got a McMillian up gunsmith for another 300WSM I'm having build and I'll use H&S on the Whelen he's finishing.

O.K. we have heard all the good about the McMillians, surely there is some bad with the exceptions of the long wait time and the high costs. I use mainly H-S stocks and have no complaints with them. I don't want to bash the Mickey's or start a pizzing contest, just believe their a bit over rated. I'm not saying they aren't nice and I would like to own one,.... but, If you have to bed and pillar them, what make them so much better? I bed all my stocks anyway.

You don't have to bed them, everyone just does it anyway because they think it will be better. McMillan says there is no need to bed their stocks, because the cnc inlets so well. Plenty of people skim bed the HS Precision with the aluminum bedding block. Proper bedding can only help, though not always necessary. Nothing wrong with HS as long as the stock fits you, the one I owned had a HUGE palm swell that I could not get used to and the comb was really low. You can also find dealers that stock some popular McMillans, so there would be no wait time.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogO.K. we have heard all the good about the McMillians, surely there is some bad with the exceptions of the long wait time and the high costs. I use mainly H-S stocks and have no complaints with them. I don't want to bash the Mickey's or start a pizzing contest, just believe their a bit over rated. I'm not saying they aren't nice and I would like to own one,.... but, If you have to bed and pillar them, what make them so much better? I bed all my stocks anyway.

Long wait and high cost?

Everyone I've been seeing been getting their Mickeys in 2.5-3 months range. I don't consider that a long wait, nor do I find that 6 months that hard to wait for. Order it and forget about it. You have 2-6 months to come up with the coin for the stock. I just received a Mickey A5 about 3 weeks ago and it was 3 month wait.

Most HS sporter stocks are crowding mid $300's. I'd personally would rather put another $100 into it and get a Mickey. Better CS, lighter stock, tons more custom options, but that's my opinion.

What's the current wait on HS stocks, Pyscodog?

Over rated? Have you had a chance to check one out/use one?

Back