Why a 280 AI when a Hotly Loaded 270 WSM is faster ?

ironworker

All I know is I can get with Mag Pro powder 3200+ with 150 gr Bullets. 3,000+ with Nosler 160gr Partition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Because the 280 can be nothing more than a rechamber job to take it from a standard 280 to an AI.

To convert to 270WSm will require bolt work also.

The 270 WSM hold more volume than the 280AI. It should run faster with the same barrel length and bullet weight.

The 7 WSM does nothing over the standard 7 RM.

They are pretty much identical in performance with the same length barrel. You just get a little shorter overall package with the 7 WSM. It still burns as much powder, kicks just the same, just in a shorter/fatter case with no belt. More of a personal preference IMO.

Not knocking the cartridge as I've owned them both, but I still have the 7 RM. It'll push a 162g AMAX at 3100fps with a hefty dose of Retumbo or H1000 from my 24" bbl. It also shoots the 168g and 180g Berger VLD's at 3000fps and 2850fps.

Theres nothing wrong with either the 270 WSM or a 280 AI. Properly loaded, either will kill deer or elk a ways out there.

A 270WSM may push the same weight bullet faster than a 280AI, but thanks to it's superior b.c. projectile, the 280AI will actually shoot flatter and have less wind drift at long distance...

The 280AI does look to be a great cartridge, but I'm not a huge fan of long actions. And my 7Wizzer has that niche filled quite nicely already...

Quote:

The answer is simply, "Because speed isn't everything."

And there you have it.

Or some other answers-
"why not"
or
"why not have both"

Really, if it just came down to speed being the end all be all answer why not just eliminate every cartridge in every caliber that is not the fastest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I own plenty of guns that don't shoot that fast with any size bullet. Big deal, I guess since bullet speed isn't my only criteria I won't skip out and go buy the "fastest" of anything.

I own both 280AI has Kreiger barrel 270WSM has Lawton barrel. I like to get accuracy first then I'll chronograph most time I'm pretty close to max loads and I also chronograph my work-up loads.

I think they are both good calibers. Being there isn't alot of factory chambering for the 280AI I think the potential is with the 280AI.

Well good luck

in the world of long range, BC outruns velocity every time.run the numbers on an 87 gr. .243 v-max at 3600 fps against a 105 gr berger at 3100 fps, sighted dead on at 300 they're both -53" at 600 yards.
RR

I cant say any more than has already been said so far... Except 280 ackley improved is more interest. I shoot 168 berger vlds with a bc of .617. You will have a hard time doing that with the 270 wsm.

That is why the 7WSM trumps both. 162 A-max not only shoots faster, but has a higher BC than the 168 Berger to boot......

Quote:
That is why the 7WSM trumps both. 162 A-max not only shoots faster, but has a higher BC than the 168 Berger to boot......

not hardly. The berger is .643 while the a-max is .625, not enough to really worry about but the berger is higher.
RR

Berger has reduced the BC's on a lot of their bullets. The .284" 168VLD is now listed at 0.617. But like you said, they're both still close.

.617 is what I have listed also. Not much difference in BC's, I agree. But the A-max is also 6gr lighter and can be launched faster out of the 7WSM......

run the tests and shoot them, you'll see, published BC isn't very often what you'll actualy see.
I shoot alot of 160 accubonds published BC of .531, the only way to get my charts to match my actual shooting is to use .62 as a BC, same as the .264 berger 140's, published BC of .64, my charts match my trajectory out to 1060 yards using a BC of .7.
The only bullet I ever shot at long range that matched my trajectory using the published BC was a Lapua 139 gr scenar, and it sux for a hunting bullet.
RR

Back