Who is your favorite gunwriter?

2muchgun

I have been thinking lately on how much the gunwriters of today, well, pretty much suck anymore. There are a handful I like, but not many.

The good old days of the truly classic writers seem to be long gone. So many writers out there now who I can just tell are so limited in their actual knowledge. A few who do seem to have some knowledge, simply aren't good writers. Are good gunwriters a dying breed?

The days of colorful writers who actually knew their stuff (Townsend Whelen, Warren Page, Bob Milek, Gary Sitton, Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Charles Askins, Skeeter Skelton) are gone.

Sometimes I wonder if I just know so much more now that the writers don't seem as credible, or if most are actually that inexperienced and non-colorful.

Maybe it's me?

Anyhoo----Wondering who you guys enjoy reading, and why?

Nope 2muchgun your right writers now days dont really care about the info or story. Some of thier writings are more like a info merchal not like Charles Askins, Col. Cooper,Skeeter or Elmer Keith. Look at how most get started collage then work for a mag. Those guys started out in the field then started writing for a mag. Theres the differance i'm not saying all are bad and their bosses have some of the blame trying to make it all work for everyone but at least make it enjoyable to read and not i'm naping now. just my 2cents

I am partial to jack o' conner myself. I've been reading the lost classics and they are a pretty good read

Makes me want a m70 .270 winchester

I think Bob Milek is my all time favorite, but I never have had the urge to try any handgun hunting. I do like to read a lot of Kieth and O'Connor when I get the chance. I really like the writers that "used" the guns in their writing, not just got one sent if from the maker, tested and fooled with it for a month and one hunt and sent it back. Milek had his Contenders, O'Connor is forever linked to the to .270, and Kieth will always be known for his "magnum" preferences. Best that I can think of nowadays is Boddington's affinity for the 264 Win mag, and 8mm Rem Mag., and Lane Pearson(?) and the STW's.

Milek was one of the best, no doubt, IMO. He does not get enough credit. I was always more of the "Keith School" than the "O'Connor school", but Jack could write.

Boddington has a ton of experience, but his writing style is kind of ho-hum to me. He also seems to write about the same things over and over. AND OVER.

Layne Simpson is a legend in his own mind. Never seen a writer that liked to see his own name in print more than he. He thinks he is one of the greats. He isn't.....

I guided in a camp that Boddington was in about 12-14 years ago and visited with him a little. In my opinion, his personality is reflected in his writing; polite, concise, professional, and a little dry. Of the writers and outdoor personalities that I have been in camp with he has probably been my favorite.
I haven't read any of Wooters' stuff recently enough to have a current opinion on it, but I remember liking some of his articles when I was a kid.
If your looking for writing with flavor, though, nobody beats Gerry Blair in my opinion. Granted, he writes way more about calling and hunting than guns, but none the less he has a talent for it.

2much...I would have to say that all my old favorites are dead too. Elmer Keith, Whelen, and...Jeff Cooper (if nothing else just great entertainment value and a straight shooter in more ways than one).
Seems like the current batch can only write about 1911's and crap that nobody can get their hands on, or afford. Their articles are mediocre at best and they spend just about as much time retracting errors in the next edition as they do writing the articles. My father in law in an excellent gesture of generosity bought me a subscription to G&A for this year...I won't be buying another one to keep them coming! I get more reading time out of the Midsouth catalog on the crapper than I do that magazine!
Quite frankly I have come to respect the opinions of a few people on various gun forums more than that of the so called "writers". I have found some true experts in their fields on forums and best of all...you can actually pick their brains within a reasonable time. If I have a question or just want to enhance my knowledge about Mosin Nagants, or FNFAL's, or Makarov's or No.1 Mk.III Lee Enfields, I darn sure wouldn't look in a magazine...and I stopped giving a darn about the latest and greatest bastardization of the 1911 years ago...and the $2Millon dollar AR-15 lube of the day...who gives a toss honestly? I checked out a while ago on those guys.

Many of the guys here are before my time. I've spent a lot of time reading articles by Rick Jamison from shooting times. Also alot of time reading articles in VHA, but most of those are authored by members.

I have all of Jack O Connor's books that have been in print since the 70's and have read "Game in the desert" that was in the Houston,tx library but you could not check it out as it was a 1st printing.
While I do not think Robert Ruark was a gun expert I have all his books some 1st printings and enjoyed reading his opinion on guns which was sure different than Jack's.
These guys epitomized the classic writers of that era and were great writers first and gun nuts/hunters second.

Last edited:
In our line of shooting, Steve Timms comes to mind. I have read stuff by other Guys, but with the input that he puts in here, I know that I appreciate it.

Back