Who has a stoner 22 nosler barrel, and how does it shoot?

I contacted Midway and inquired about other people having issues with these barrels shooting decent. The guy said there hadn't been any complaints that he knew of. His suggestion was to try heavier bullets, which I would if I had some but there goes my flat trajectory.

Last edited:
I'll shoot some 77s next week but I might point out that FACTORY ammunition is loaded with 55s.

BTW I posted in the other thread that the MAP on this cartridge is 55,000 direct from Nosler this AM when I talked with them. This one is going no where fast.

Greg

Here is a compilation on my shooting trip. Not my usual format but it had way to many entries to type and align. If I had no shooting ability I would just shrug but I do know how to shoot a tad..LOL

This one will be getting some attention over the next few weeks. I will be shooting my 22X6.8 side by side with it for comparison although maybe a generic 223 might make it look better.

Greg

Last edited:
That's about what I'd expect. The slower powders are going to suffer for 6" less barrel. H335 seems to be on par. I'm not sure you can really fairly compare anything from the stoner line with a premium barrel. BHW P3 barrels are speed freaks too, so you have to keep that in consideration. I'd be very interested to see what this cartridge would do in a P3 22" BHW barrel.

Originally Posted By: MPFDThat's about what I'd expect. The slower powders are going to suffer for 6" less barrel. H335 seems to be on par.

The issue there is it was their mid load and it ripped the snot out of some rims. Another grain and it will be terrible. This brass is SOFT!!

I will run some 22X6.8 loads in it that I know the pressures on and see what gives.

Since BHW is doing barrels I put a 20" AR on order and a 26" Savage to try. Different rifling might help. Mine did not show copper overly badly as I have 50 rounds in this one fired I'll take my time with the Gunslick and do a SWEETS copper check when I am done.

It may well be a tack driver in a QUALITY barrel but if this is representative of the STONER groupings etc. after another 100 rounds I'm getting with Midway and ask for a new tube just to verify it does suck.

Greg

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Appears every one else's groups are like mine......chit.

Have a little faith. I think the 77's will shoot...maybe I am going to abandon the 2.260 though because I already know the throat is huge if my reamer print is correct and Ritch doing some measuring did verify that. I'll load these puppies out as far as I can get them. Once I am satisfied I'm going to have a talk with Nosler direct.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MPFDI haven't seen anything from the stoner line that was impressive.

I had a 223 fluted 18" stoner barrel that was decent. no problem getting MOA groups out of it.

I have been shooting some 69gr match king off of my shooting sticks and they seam to grouping fairly well. I haven't shot any farther than 100 yards though. I believe my dad is loading them with 28 gr of varget. I need to shoot a couple coyotes and see how it does. I was hoping for better performance than a .223. Don't like looking for coyotes in the dark. If I'm not happy I may sell the upper and go with a 6.5 grendel or ??

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: MPFDI haven't seen anything from the stoner line that was impressive.

I had a 223 fluted 18" stoner barrel that was decent. no problem getting MOA groups out of it.

I have a 18 fluted as well that shoots factory 50gr American Eagle extremely well and is my Nightvision set up.

That's why I didn't get excited about the round when it came out. I hate to say it but it's just waiting to go by the wayside with the RUMs and the WSSMs. Until then everyone will be crying about non existent brass.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorThat's why I didn't get excited about the round when it came out. I hate to say it but it's just waiting to go by the wayside with the RUMs and the WSSMs. Until then everyone will be crying about non existent brass.

With Nosler actually doing the brass and the effort to get it in the hands of reloaders from day one gives me the idea it will stay around. I will be watching the shelves to spot the first box in the wild.

The WSSM definitely failed thanks to no brass. Also as thick as it is didn't lend itself to good wildcatting. I believe the RUM was just too much of a good thing.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I would like to tell Larry P. that Townsend Whelen would not find my 22 Nosler stoner barrel intersting.

LOL. I probably will in a few weeks. I's bad when you have to take a file to the case head to knock down the burrs at even a medium load level.

Greg

Mine is shooting ok 3 /4to 7/8 groups I'm shooting 45gr barns solids 30.6 gr 8208 wolf small mag primers chamfer flash hole. 2.260 oal looks weird one grove is out of the case. I bought the complete upper side charge handle on it. I am using a h2 buffer and a wolf extra strong spring.this is my 7.62x39 lower.my brass looks ok slight burr on side of case primers look good. 7 1/2 rems no good cci 450 ok but not like wolf primers. I'm going to try some reloader 7 next . I think you should try a heavier buffer to slow down the dwell in your cycle. Or a heavier spring.
Your groups are bad maybe bolt opening to soon bad groups messed up brass.
I ordered a xcaliber 22 inch 1in 9 barrel a month ago .I can't wait to see what it will do.

/

Back