Which would you use for squirrel and ground squirrel hunting

One thing to consider Noob,

the Tactical Solutions company suggests NOT shooting CCI Stinger ammunition out of their barrels due to a longer case design compared to other conventional .22 LR ammunition.

I dont know anything about Whistle Pig barrels. So I cant give any advice there.

Good choice on the 10/22. That was my first rifle that I owned, and it has taken me on many grand adventures. I think the accuracy is pretty good for varminting, but its no bolt gun. So dont expect pea sized groups at 50 yards. Good luck and show us the final results!

PS: you coming down for a UWC service project? We are planting trees in Duchesne on the 16th...

Thats fine 95% of the ammo run through my 10/22 is Federal Bulk or Remington Bulk (dont know why everyone hates the Remington but the gun loves it so i will keep feeding it the Remmy gold packs) Other than that its my nice squirrel loads.

I want the Whistle Pig but its not going to happen its either Tactical solutions or nothing at this point for me. And in all honesty if the Boyds stock doesnt fit me i might just leave the gun stock and get the 15-22. If im going to spend the money on stock and barrel i want it to be exactly what i want. And i want.

Wont be making it down to Utah this year. Finally got a job that will be hard to get away from. Got family coming over from England next august so im hoping if i work my rear end off this spring and early summer someone will take my shift for a couple weeks and allow me to make it to utah and meet them. Unless plans change which if they do ill probably be down there somewhere.

Quote:(dont know why everyone hates the Remington but the gun loves it so i will keep feeding it the Remmy gold packs)

Because I bought about 5 of the 550 round bulk packs a few years ago, and about 1 in 20 is a misfire. Priming compound problem, because some fire the second try and I've had some that wouldn't after 3 tries.

It's not the rifle, it's never had a misfire with CCIs or Fed bulk pack, ever.

But I would imagine that problem's been solved by now.

Originally Posted By: the noobieanyone have a Boyds SS evolution stock on their 10/22? Think it would be hard to use for gopher hunting? its not my "go to" gopher gun but sometimes it gets taken out

600-511-2T.jpg

Not in a 10/22, but my Marlin 917V is wearing one. Nice and light and feels good off hand, You can get a bipod on it, but it isn't an ideal fit. I'm thinking about getting the Blaster for my 10/22 once I start my build. If you want something to build on, nothing easier than a 10/22. If you want an accurate out of the box gun, my Marlin 60 tube fed eats my 10/22 for breakfast and CZ's and Marlin bolt guns are usually right in there too. Not as much cool factor, but a dozen head shot squirrels next to a bolt gun is pretty cool too
thumbup1.gif

I agree with what Evil Lurker said on the Green and Gold box ammo, there was a time that's all I shot, when they started putting squib rounds in the box and I was bouncing them off of plywood at 40yds, I had enough and went to Federal Bulk packs. No problems since.
PICT0117.jpg

PICT0121.jpg

I have gone through about 6 of the Remington bulk packs this past year and I had maybe 2 misfires. They were accurate enough to splatter flies on the paper target at 40 yards with the CZ. I also used a few boxes of federals and don't recall any misfires, but they didn't seem any more accurate.

I tried the .22 LR briefly on some Prairie dogs last fall but too many made it down the hole after taking a solid body hit. It seemed better suited to squirrels and grackles. The big whitetail jackrabbits can laugh off all but a good head shot.

Went the 22lr route and still have a couple. They don't get shot much unless shooting blackbird that are picking on robins and cardinals. Switched over to a 17hmr or 22mag for shooting tree rats or puff bunnies. Have far better range and better one shot kills. If I am just getting trigger time it is hard to beat a 22 though. I have a 10-22 and have had it for many yrs. Brother has a s&w15-22 and it is a total blast to plink with and fairly good accuracy with just a red dot on it. But it can sure eat the ammo. I would hate to guess how many rounds have gone through it.

I think it depends. Back when i used to live in Utah (quite a while ago) my dad bought 8 or 9 of the gold packs and we still have 2 of them but out of the whole box i tend to see 3-4 failure to fires out of 100. Just got some Federal Bulk (accidentally got the 36 grain instead of 40 and that stuff is crap shot about 40 rounds of all 2100 so far and out of those 40 had one fail to feed, 4 fail to fire on first attempt, and one that came out of the chamber but didnt make it out of the action before the bolt closed. Im going to keep shooting it and see what happens but the remington stuff is more reliable in my gun for sure.

My dad told me that this 10/22 is the pickyest gun hes ever owned. it wont shoot anything with Federal stamped on it. It wont shoot any aftermarket magazines (havent tried tactical inc ones) and it likes to be dirty.. action and all to shoot reliably. I thought about upgrading and buying another but this ones all wood and steel.. no polymer anywhere
wub.gif

Originally Posted By: the noobieI think it depends. Back when i used to live in Utah (quite a while ago) my dad bought 8 or 9 of the gold packs and we still have 2 of them but out of the whole box i tend to see 3-4 failure to fires out of 100. Just got some Federal Bulk (accidentally got the 36 grain instead of 40 and that stuff is crap shot about 40 rounds of all 2100 so far and out of those 40 had one fail to feed, 4 fail to fire on first attempt, and one that came out of the chamber but didnt make it out of the action before the bolt closed. Im going to keep shooting it and see what happens but the remington stuff is more reliable in my gun for sure.

My dad told me that this 10/22 is the pickyest gun hes ever owned. it wont shoot anything with Federal stamped on it. It wont shoot any aftermarket magazines (havent tried tactical inc ones) and it likes to be dirty.. action and all to shoot reliably. I thought about upgrading and buying another but this ones all wood and steel.. no polymer anywhere
wub.gif

You can make any 10-22 run like a sewing machine with a little work. Mine hasn't had a jam in at least 500 rounds now, unless I get a misfire from that old Rem. stuff I'm still working my way through.

PM me if you want some tips, and have $100 to invest. I've spent a lot of time tuning those things up recently. I know where all the "tips and tricks" are to be found.

PM sent... went shooting today fired 100 more of the federals... i about wrapped gun and all around a tree.

Had too many to count, failure to feeds, Just about as many firing out of battery and not even putting much of a nick on the rim, and a few failure to ejects... Didnt even get one 10 round clip to shoot without issues

Would it help if i Greased the bolt instead of lightly oiled?

Went to cabelas and they dont have any SS evolution stocks and the most words i could get for a reply when i asked when they would get more was "let me find out" then the salesman was never to be heard from again.

After seeing a few pictures of the stock im not too sure if i would be happy with it. It looks neat but i think i would get sick of it.

Which would be the best all around stock for running around plinking, chasing squirrels and rabbits around, resting off the hood of pickup shooting pop cans and just getting use for EVERYTHING.

Explorer?

Trailblazer

Or a Hogue overmold stock?

I like the color of the laminate stocks but the hogue is nice and grippy.

(oh and the gun would have either a scope or a red dot. which ever i felt at the time.

Back