Which turkey call?

utahpredator_7

I am going to buy a turkey call for my hunt this spring and I think I'm going to get a slate call. I am looking at the Heavy Metal, MAD 4x4, or the primos jack pot. Any other suggestions? Also, how are these compared to other types of calls? I've seen dogwoods calls and like them, just wondering how they all work and stuff, and what the pros and cons of each are. Thanks.

I would also try some diaphram calls. I didnt have much luck with the slate/box calls. It takes some practice to use the diaphrams but its like riding a bike once you get it you will never lose it. There are some good combos out there. I have a primos combo with three calls and a video that shows how to use it. You might have to trim the calls so you dont gag. Plus with a diaphram there is less movement for the turkeys to see. They have sharp eyes like coyotes that can detect the slightest movement.

I hate diaphrams and can't use them to any extent except for a slight rasp. They don't gag me, I just kinda don't have a knack for it. I looked at another slate too, a black widow, that shows you where to rub it. How much difference does that make?

As far as slate type calls go I really like the Primos Power Crystal it's a super call in my opinion, just make sure you get the call surface roughed up this will take some doing to start with but after you get it there it's easy to keep it there, the call is very easy to make calls with and if you get a couple different strikers you can change the tone of the call. Hope this helps and good luck!

How about LightsOut's calls? I was thinking about the cheaper one on his site, I think I've narrowed it down to that or the black widow as far as a slate call goes.

I don't like anything MAD puts on the market. Likewise Knight & Hale, just can't find a decent sounding call in their line. I've got a couple of drawers full of turkey calls I've bought and tried over the years. Most are pretty much dust collectors. I have two custom pots and one production call that have a regular place in my turkey hunting. The production is from Cody and is a sweet glass pot. The two customs are from Dad's Calls, it is a real mellow slate in a walnut pot. The other custom is from Supreme Calls and is a glass call in a Cocobolo pot. I really like a glass over a crystal sound board. The striker/pegs make a tremendous difference in sound also. I don't even know how many dozens of pegs I've accumulated over the years.

Turkeys are odd birds and sometimes will ignore one type of call and run head over spurs to another type. It pays to have a few choices in the vest. I wouldn't go afield without a good box call either. My favorite is from Dad's again, a cedar box with purple heart lid. I also have one of Dad's longboxes, a butternut and cedar call.

Hooks are my favorite diaphrams and are worth looking up. They're something special!

Quote:
How about LightsOut's calls?

He makes an AWESOME call! I've got a bunch of calls, both production and custom. There are some good sounding production calls, but it's kind of hit or miss. I suspect the production calls are slapped together, put in a package and shipped. A custom call is run by the maker and most will not ship a call they wouldn't take into the field themselves. When calls are mass produced then shipped without being tested, how do you know if it's a good one? The custom guys will run a call for you over the phone before you buy it. You can't beat that.

Go to the custom calls Forum & contact Dogwood Creek. Gotta do it quick tho. He gets busy making calls. I won't go in the woods without my DC box call again!!

go with a custom slate call, they sound sooooo much better than a mass production one. I think slate sounds the best over glass or aluminium.

I'm like GC... but I have a box of calls that I have used over the years. There are SO many calls out there, if you are looking for a good slate (or slate style call) look at the Primos Frictionite or the Knight & Hale Ol' Yeller style call. It has a slate that is yellowish, it is a composite of some type, but man it sounds GREAT.

If you are looking at box calls I like the Gobbler's Choice (Martin Brothers) boxes... they sound so close to a real hen it will scare you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Have to agree with Weasel. Wendell Rye of Lights Out calls makes a TOP NOTCH custom call. Will make it to your specks if you wish His service is impecable. And he covers his calls with a full garantee. His strikers are also amazing.

One of the best sounding boxcalls I've ever heard was made by a guy named Chris Ute, was made from all cherry and I wouldn't sell for anything!

Well I hunt turkeys alot I use Cody calls they cost a little bit but you only get what you pay for. My daughter calls compation and thats all she uses and wins

Like GC and JAMaidens, I too have collected a bunch of calls. Most I have given away or pitched. The only calls I carry are, a custom slate by a local guy that I cannot remember, a couple of diaphrams, and a Quaker Boy Easy Yelper push button that has been the demise of more toms than I can remember. I used the Easy Yelper so much that a couple of years ago the spring exploded. I was bummed and made a post on QBs forum. They said to call and they would replace the spring but I couldn't wait since the season was in. I took some .030 welding wire and made a spring. This will be that springs third season.

Like was mentiond, get a couple of custom calls that you know how they sound. It's more money in the short run, but you won't waste a bunch of time and money on hit and miss production calls.

Mike

I just got rid of a ton of turkey calls the only one i had that i kept is a cody glass......i got the entire line of the knight and hale hammer series, and the yella hammer is AWESOME... it is the slatek material that the ol' yeller call is made of, but with the new sound chamber and the composite box. GC, when you have a chance... atleast TRY the hammer series... I think you may change your mind about the Knight and Hale calls, not saying you will love them, just that you may think they are one of the better production calls.... they really surprised me.... the four calls are the... yella hammer, glass hammer, slate hammer, and silver hammer.

Back