which thermal scope

My advice would be get the trail, even if it’s only for the rechargeable battery. 123 Batteries are expensive, and always work perfect, until it’s time to shoot....... the 50 would probably be better for your intended uses, if you can swing the extra cash. Shop around, there’s always deals to be had

I just got an XQ38 Trail in the mail today and just spent an hour with it in the yard. My first impression is that it is better than I expected, and the longer I was out there the better it seemed to get. Temp was 17* and 76% humidity (humidity is supposed to degrade the image from what I read).
FOV is a BIG deal, I would not buy a scope with less FOV than this one (XQ50 has less FOV). It was ok at 100-150 yards, but more would be better. A lot more would be better for close work when scanning. Base magnification is not as big of a deal as I thought it would be. Furthest animal I saw was a coon at around 250. I'm positive I could have seen one further but they just weren't there. Rabbits were obvious at 150 yards. Here's where the positive ID thing comes in, I could easily see the rabbits but until they hopped around and acted like rabbits I wasn't sure what they were, then it was obvious. I initially thought that coon at 250 was a coyote because it looked bigger than I expected at 250, but after watching it for a few minutes I could tell it was a coon by the way it acted.
I believe I could shoot coyotes with this further than I thought I would be able to before using it, 200 is doable for sure.

I received my first thermal a few weeks ago. It was the Flir PTS233. Immediately I could tell I was going to love this scope. It's far better than what I expected. Detection range hasn't been tested to it's max yet,but it's several hundred yards past my shooting capability. ID range, however, is pretty short, 50-100 yards. I had a very minor issue with mine and called customer service which picked up on the second ring. NO HOLD TIME ON A FRIDAY! I couldn't believe it.
I initially wanted a Trail XQ38, and I hate to say, but I still do. Impatience got the best of me and I went with what I could afford. The Pulsar Trails seem to be leading the way in quality and customer service. Hope this helps

Originally Posted By: FredritzOk thanks for all your input me and my partner have only been doing this for a couple years with limited success but have had some. A friend and his partner have had very good luck somehow if I could just figure out their tricks. But after looking through their thermals i had to jump ship but they got more of a open budget so I really appreciate all the advice. I'm really leaning towards the trail xq38 or appex xq38 i don't need all the bells and whistles that's what cell phones are for after the kill so I'm thinking apex. Is there any reason to step up to the xq 50

Why don't you take a look at High Tech Red Neck. He is a sponsor here. He has videos on things he sells. Take a look at Armasight Zeus 640x75mm. I think you will be amazed. No bells & whistles. Fine thermal.

Last edited:
If you are hunting coyotes, that rxq30 is not enough scope in my opinion. If you want to save money, go with the apex xq38. The external battery is around $100 and last a really long time even in cold weather. It mounts right on the side of the scope so it's really not a big deal. I know if you hunt in much sub freezing weather, you will need the bigger battery for the trail anyhow. It is nice how it is intigrated with scope though.

I am pretty sure I'm gonna go with the apex 38xq with the lrf and just buy the external battery pack in not sure the lrf is a must but I no judging distance at night is pretty difficult

ultimate night vision still has it listed on their site as well as pulsars main website of course its out of stock but says it should be available in 14-28 days. so i assume its still available...anyone else have any input on this? just trying to figure out what my battery pack options would be as well i no pulsar makes one and a pouch i would like something that could be attached to the rail on my rifle but am ok with the pouch if that is all that is available

Last edited:
Fredritz, have you contacted a Site Sponsor here such as NightGoggles on the Pulsars? Tom has a wealth of hunting experience with all thermal gear. Just saying...

We will be having a new battery option for the Pulsars that will use our cradle system in the very near future.

PTS536_sl1-460944.jpg

I actually emailed them yesterday thanks Victor i love your guys website it has been very helpful in this process. Anyone have any input on 640 vs the 384 pulsars is it worth saving the extra money for?

Originally Posted By: FredritzI actually emailed them yesterday thanks Victor i love your guys website it has been very helpful in this process. Anyone have any input on 640 vs the 384 pulsars is it worth saving the extra money for?

Most definitely.

Originally Posted By: FredritzI actually emailed them yesterday thanks Victor i love your guys website it has been very helpful in this process. Anyone have any input on 640 vs the 384 pulsars is it worth saving the extra money for?

The answer is sometimes. I am not one of those people who hears the word 640 core and just starts to drool. I had a 640 core of a different brand that cannot detect heat signatures nearly as far and doesn't have nearly as good of picture as my Pulsar Trail XQ38 (384 core). It all comes down to Field of View, Magnification, and what you can live with as far as investment in a thermal. If you want a really big Field of View and a really nice clear picture the Pulsar XP options are fantastic. Because Pulsar has the PIP option, it can make for a great big nice clear FOV and more magnification in the PIP.

I personally like a wider FOV on my scanner and a little more base mag on my scope. This is why I use the Helion XP38 for a scanner and a Trail XQ38 for a scope. The Trail XQ38 has a 2.1x base mag vs 1.2 and 1.6 for the Trail XP scopes. Pm if you want specifics why but it really comes down to how you want to use the scope, for what type of animals, in what type of terrain, etc. You don't want a scope that has such high magnification that for coyotes you can't pick up hard chargers or find the 2nd coyote on multiples or on a miss, etc. However, you don't want the base mag so low that you don't feel comfortable taking a shot over 75 yards either, etc.

I'm also convinced that once a person gets a good thermal they will defend it as the best choice out there. Unless a person has used lots of different thermals for lots of different types of animals in lots of different terrains, it is hard to say what will work best for you. Give Tom at Night Goggles a call and he can help you through some tough decisions as he has used virtually all the brands and all the models.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: FredritzI actually emailed them yesterday thanks Victor i love your guys website it has been very helpful in this process. Anyone have any input on 640 vs the 384 pulsars is it worth saving the extra money for?

The answer is sometimes. I am not one of those people who hears the word 640 core and just starts to drool. I had a 640 core of a different brand that cannot detect heat signatures nearly as far and doesn't have nearly as good of picture as my Pulsar Trail XQ38 (384 core). It all comes down to Field of View, Magnification, and what you can live with as far as investment in a thermal. If you want a really big Field of View and a really nice clear picture the Pulsar XP options are fantastic. Because Pulsar has the PIP option, it can make for a great big nice clear FOV and more magnification in the PIP.

I personally like a wider FOV on my scanner and a little more base mag on my scope. This is why I use the Helion XP38 for a scanner and a Trail XQ38 for a scope. The Trail XQ38 has a 2.1x base mag vs 1.2 and 1.6 for the Trail XP scopes. Pm if you want specifics why but it really comes down to how you want to use the scope, for what type of animals, in what type of terrain, etc. You don't want a scope that has such high magnification that for coyotes you can't pick up hard chargers or find the 2nd coyote on multiples or on a miss, etc. However, you don't want the base mag so low that you don't feel comfortable taking a shot over 75 yards either, etc.

I'm also convinced that once a person gets a good thermal they will defend it as the best choice out there. Unless a person has used lots of different thermals for lots of different types of animals in lots of different terrains, it is hard to say what will work best for you. Give Tom at Night Goggles a call and he can help you through some tough decisions as he has used virtually all the brands and all the models.

Very informative post. Thanks.

yes kirsch thank you my thinking is a little different than yours but again i have no thermal experience except looking through a friends thermals which was a zeus and a older pulsar. i was thinking xq38 for a scanner because i just want to know something is there and was thinking a 640 unit like the xp38 for a scope for clearer picture and better id even though we've never called in a house dog and the chances of it happening are slim to none where we hunt but i will never say never. but that being said i never really thought about the fov and magnification. the magnification part doesn't scare me a whole lot with the pip and i typically shoot lower magnified daytime optics the fov would be nice in some of our more open areas guess ill have to do some more thinking on that

Originally Posted By: Fredritzyes kirsch thank you my thinking is a little different than yours but again i have no thermal experience except looking through a friends thermals which was a zeus and a older pulsar. i was thinking xq38 for a scanner because i just want to know something is there and was thinking a 640 unit like the xp38 for a scope for clearer picture and better id even though we've never called in a house dog and the chances of it happening are slim to none where we hunt but i will never say never. but that being said i never really thought about the fov and magnification. the magnification part doesn't scare me a whole lot with the pip and i typically shoot lower magnified daytime optics the fov would be nice in some of our more open areas guess ill have to do some more thinking on that

If you ask each person with a thermal, their's is probably the best.
thumbup1.gif
Here is where you need to do some thinking. There is nothing wrong with a Helion XQ38 as a scanner. I would potentially own one if they had a wider FOV. However, it only has a 9.8 degree field of view. The Helion XP38 is 16 degree field of view. You see twice as much area and have to sweep/move half as much. You will probably use the monocular to help find stands, retrieve killed coyotes, scouting, etc as well as scanning while on stand. It is what is used the majority of the time and I appreciate the better image.

You are not the only person who disagrees with me on this. However, here is how I look at it. I am looking through the monocular 95% of the time. Yes, it is important to know what you are shooting at. Most people think kind of like you, "I want to know something is there" and then pull up my gun and ID the animal. In my scenario, I know it is a coyote when I go to my gun from my monocular as I have ID'd the animal already in my nice clear view, and the Trail XQ38 won't let me down either way as the image isn't a whole lot less, just bigger to give me more confidence in the shot. Now when I get on my gun, my Trail XQ38 is a little bit less FOV but plenty to be able to keep the coyote or coyotes in my scope. Since I am not using the gun to scan, I don't need a super wide field of view. 2.1x on the Trail XQ38 is still fine for hard chargers, staying with moving coyotes, and multiples. I haven't shot the XQ50 but have heard some people say it is difficult at times to find hard charging coyotes due to the increased zoom of 2.7X. I cannot confirm this.

For comparison, the Trail XP38 is an amazing scope with an incredible FOV of 16x12 degrees. At 1.2x base mag you are either using PIP or zooming the scope as this is very low for coyote past 75 yards. Once you zoom one time you are now at 2.4x and a res of 320 x 240. My Trail XQ38 is 2.1x at 384x288 so about equal. Yes you do get a bigger FOV on base mag and can still do PIP. The Trail XP38 is a great scope, but when using a separate scanner is that large of an extra FOV worth over $1,500 to almost $2000 more for the XP38 and XP50? To some, yes, to others no. For a hog hunter who has hogs running every direction, it might be. For the person who scans with their gun, most definitely. However, I can say with confidence I can shoot coyotes as far as I need to with my Trail XQ38 and it is not a 640 core. I would never say anything negative about somebody choosing to go up to the XP as they are fantastic scopes and monoculars. Just trying to help people make a choice because they are lots of choices. Using the scope in wide open country might be different than a person using it over bait, or in tight shooting conditions like heavily wooded areas with clearings etc.

Pulsar sells a lot of the Trail XP50 because it kind of falls in a sweet spot with a fairly wide FOV and 1.6x zoom plus PIP. This is very nice but almost $2000 more than the Trail XQ38. These are all the question a person needs to figure out.

Is a Trail XQ38, worth $1400 more than a RXQ? Maybe
Is a Trail XP38 or 50 worth $1,500 to 2,000 more than an XQ38? Maybe
Is a Trijicon MK3 - 60 worth 3-4K more than a Trail XP50? Maybe

The answer will be different based on need, hunting style, budget, etc. Sorry for the long answer/response.

thanks again kirsch you seem like you got your setup figured out...and based on the video you sent me i would say you do lol maybe ill end up with a xp in both a trail and hellion before this is all said and done to many decisions out there. but thankfully its about time to start playing farmer for a couple months here in ohio and my hunting time will be in short supply during that time so ill have plenty of evenings and rainy days to continue my research and listen to what all you amazing guys have to say

Back