which state would you go

Very correct. Seen it, done it, is a blast! But i am a caller, and some of those yotes have never seen a person on foot and are easy to call. Skip public land that gets POUNDED!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am thinking seriously about heading to nevada in october. lots of ground there so should be a blast.

In South Dakota you need a license to hunt coyotes. In the fall there are plenty of uneducated coyotes around but private land for a local can be very hard to come by let alone an out of towner. There are a few sizable chunks of public ground but I wouldn't waste my time with it. If you do come out here, realize that the 3rd Saturday in October marks the start of Pheasent season, which is basically a holiday here. All bets are off then, thousands of eager shot gunners launching lead at anything and everything really gets all the wildlife stirred up. It's much easier both with public and private land starting in January when all the other seasons are over, however usually by then the coyotes are so wild it's a real crap shoot. I geuss pick your posion.

It's a great state with great coyote hunting and I certainly don't mean to scare you off just realize there are plenty of challenges to face. I'm sure this all can be said about a lot of places. You might try to plan something in the Black Hills, public ground and if your willing to work you can get off the beaten trail where the hunting tends to be better.

Just an opinion that is based on conversations with others but you may try Utah or Montana, I hear lots of good things about both.

Originally Posted By: coyotewhispererOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisWyoming - No license needed!

+ I killed all the Coyotes in my area's!

Is there quite a bit of public land to hunt?
Lots of state/blm lands & it gets hit hard by everyone & their brother w/a call.
They are well educated in 99% of this state.

Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: coyotewhispererOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisWyoming - No license needed!

+ I killed all the Coyotes in my area's!

Is there quite a bit of public land to hunt?
Lots of state/blm lands & it gets hit hard by everyone & their brother w/a call.
They are well educated in 99% of this state.

I think people don't realize how popular calling has become. I spend a fair amount of time in both S.D. and Wyo. I evensee people parked in the interstate ditches. Fromthe badlands to Sheridan I've counted as many as fifteen trucks parked alongside the fences. If I see that many on interstate I can only imagine how many are out on the gravel roads.

Even in our little town of less than a 1000 people the number of callers has doubled in the last 2-3 years. Pretty much you need deep pockets or good connections to get in on decent land.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Even in our little town of less than a 1000 people the number of callers has doubled in the last 2-3 years. Pretty much you need deep pockets or good connections to get in on decent land.

Or know people. I am an SDSU grad and have many connections out there, they are getting tougher and tougher to hunt, but there are literally coyotes that dont know what people are. I've hunting west of Mobridge and if you are not in a truck, they don't mind you walking around withing 80 yards of them. Fun Fun!

Originally Posted By: WcboyHAHA
I dont think I would fit in with all the liberals out there in California
I don't either. But I'm out here dealing with the [beeep]! You want to hunt at night? Come on out. Grizz

Between career and other hobbies, I get plenty of travel in. What I like about coyote hunting, is that they are everywhere! I sure wouldn't spend the gas money to travel to other states to hunt coyotes when you could spend that time and money scouting closer to home and building relationships in your area, So that you could spend more time hunting and less time driving.

Originally Posted By: barkBetween career and other hobbies, I get plenty of travel in. What I like about coyote hunting, is that they are everywhere! I sure wouldn't spend the gas money to travel to other states to hunt coyotes when you could spend that time and money scouting closer to home and building relationships in your area, So that you could spend more time hunting and less time driving.

He's right

Got a spot 1/2 hour away, 185 acres, has a couple yotes that frequent it, but so far not on the days I hunt
frown.gif

Doesn't stop me from trying locally.. (live in the northern burbs of a large metro)

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinOriginally Posted By: FairChase93Even in our little town of less than a 1000 people the number of callers has doubled in the last 2-3 years. Pretty much you need deep pockets or good connections to get in on decent land.

Or know people. I am an SDSU grad and have many connections out there, they are getting tougher and tougher to hunt, but there are literally coyotes that dont know what people are. I've hunting west of Mobridge and if you are not in a truck, they don't mind you walking around withing 80 yards of them. Fun Fun!

Trust me I hunt all over western South Dakota, there are a few private holdings that still have some tame coyotes as you describe, but they are very few and far between.

Totally. Especially around the Pierre Area. I think that gets more pounded than where I hunt In Minnesota. Everyone hunts them now.

I was hunting on the standing rock reservation a few weeks ago. Those coyotes were like curious puppies. 1 walked up to us while we were taking a break eating lunch, of course we weren't ready haha!

I was in north Dakota this fall duck hunting. We wanted to try a little coyote hunting but between duck hunting, scouting and it being deer opener weekend we only squeezed two stands in. Would really like to go back up there on a coyote trip sometime. Nice thing about north Dakota, if it's not posted and not standing crop you can hunt it without permission, and where I was nobody cared. Farmers drive by and wave at ya. And if it is posted they usually have their name on the sign and half the time they say yes. Only times we got turned down was because it was deer hunting.

On the reservations the tribal ground generally gets pounded pretty hard but most of the deeded ground is really good hunting. But that's only if you can get permission, a lot of that deeded ground is locked up really tight. The private holdings on the Pine Ridge Reservation are phenomenal, especially in the Badlands.

Back