Which Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bray

So over the past several weeks I have been in the handgun market and have shot several different makes.

So far my favorites have been the

FN-USA
FNP-45
FN-57

Spring Field
XDM-45

Beretta
90-TWO

Anyone have experience with these? I have also tried the glock 22, but the grip angle is wrong for me.

I'm a Glock guy myself, but if I were going to buy something that wasn't a Glock, it would be the Springfield.

I'm not much of a handgun guy, but that XDM is pretty slick for the money.
cool.gif

Just picked up a Ruger sr40c. 500 rds so far. Perfect. Shoots really well. Love it! Next choice would be the m&p and then the xd.

Have you shot a 1911 yet....that's my favorite! I like the Paras with the double stack mag....some complain about the grip size but it fits a big hand perfect. You didn't say if it was for fun or carry or both but one that I would sure like to give a try is the Kel Tec PMR 30...check it out. You get 30 rnds of 22mag in a full size light weight frame! Looks like a lot of fun.

JJ

You didn't really say what the purpose of this handgun is for? If you're looking for modernistic plastic then I have a strong preference for the Smith & Wesson M&P series. Really good guns. A quality 1911 is a fine handgun also. Most often in the outdoors I pack either a S&W double action revolver or a Ruger single action. They all have their place and purpose.

Originally Posted By: H82Miss
I'm a Glock guy myself, but if I were going to buy something that wasn't a Glock, it would be the Springfield.

+1 This is me 100%

Originally Posted By: RiflemannS&W M&P 40 or 45 or XDM are my picks in that order yu.

My picks also . Followed by the 3rd or 4th gen .Glocks and the Ruger sr 9 or 40 .

I'll concur on the rationale for carrying.

For everyday carry: Ruger SP 101 in 357 Magnum or believe it or not a Ruger Single Six 5 1/2" .22 WRM and a Simply Rugged holster worn in the pants.

For Serious Predator Hunting:

TC Contender with any of the following barrel combinations"

Super 14" .22 WRM with a TC 2-7 x variable handgun scope.
Super 14" .223 Rem with a 2" extension for use on a stock.
Custom MGM 14" stainless .221 Fireball with a Tasco 1.5x illuminated reticule for night shooting.
10" 22 Hornet with a Burris 2x scope. A fine walking around varmint pistol.

For medium and large game:

Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger with a 4x Leupold scope that is detachable.

The following TC Barrels:

Super 16 in 45-70 with a Burris 4x
Super 14 in 375 JDJ with a 1.5 x 4x Burris variable.
( Both of these barrels in the near future will have a muzzle brake attached. They do get your attention when you shoot.)
Super 16 in 44 magnum with a Burris 5x
10" .44 magnum with a 2x Burris. This is a fine walking around whitetail gun.
12" .356 GNR custon stainless barell with a 2x Burris scope.

For some reason, I can't warm up to an autoloader. They don't do much for me.

Intended purpose is huge. With auto loaders if you plan on letting it lay around loaded for home protection they say the magazine springs get weak over time.
In which case a revolver might be better. You can leave it lay around pick it up and it will go bang. Just depends on what you want.
Auto loaders are a blast to run rounds through and they have that cool factor.

I've carried a Beretta 92FS as a duty weapon and shot one in competition in 3-gun matches for several years...They are dependable, accurate (I tied Jerry Miculek in one 3-gun stage with it..He wiped me in the rest of them..), and very easy to maintain....

Any of the 1911 platforms are generally dependable, but lack the higher capacity of number of rounds, unless you go to one of the 'double stack' frames and those are sometimes too bulky for comfort..

Sorry Rug1, but a lot of police officers, myself included, leave magazines loaded for years at a time without negative results...My 'bedside' and carry Walther has been fully loaded for the last few years, with the exception of a limited range time, and still functions as new...

In general answer to your question, all have a decent reputation and it really boils down to which fits/feels best to you...If possible, I'd find an indoor range that rents some of them and try as many as possible...

Originally Posted By: Rug1 With auto loaders if you plan on letting it lay around loaded for home protection they say the magazine springs get weak over time.

Magazine springs do not get weak from laying around whether they are loaded or not. This is simply a myth. Springs get weak from constant use and the average person will never wear out the spring in any of today's modern pistols.
Quality semi auto pistols today are every bit as dependable as any revolver. One of my Glocks now has over ten thousand rounds fired through it without one malfunction of any kind. It also has only been cleaned maybe two or three times in it's life.

This is likely to be an everyday carry weapon. I have a CC permit, but probably wont conceal this one, so I'm looking for a 4.5 barrel. I also prefer something with double stack mags because they fit my hands better.

The crack/meth heads are getting to the point to wear I know theres going to be confratations at somepoint, as they're stealing fuel, copper, and metal left and right.

FNP 45 or The Beretta. Both are reliable and accurate. It will still depend on which one fits better in your hand. As far as the springs go, I've been carrying a 1911 for several years with no problem with the mags.

Take a look at the Stoeger 8000 Cougar. Identical to the Berretta 8000 Cougar at half the price. (MSRP is right around $500 on the Stoeger; $800 on the Berretta 8000 Cougar.) The Cougar is a Double Action Autoloader, with a round in the chamber there is no need to pull the hammer back ike the 1911, simply flip the safety off and squeeze the trigger.

And, before everyone starts talking [beeep] about it, Berretta owns Stoeger. When they bought Stoeger they loaded the Cougar dies up and shipped them to Turkey to produce that gun. They are not an inferior product, quality is good to excellent, very reliable gun; fit and feel is fantastic in my book, and it's a fun gun to shoot. Double stack mags allow for 15 round capacity. Berretta is available in 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, and 45 ACP in single stack mag. The Stoeger is available in 9mm, 40 S&W, amd 45 ACP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_8000

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_cougar.php

There is also a compact model available for concealed carry, holds 13 rounds in the mag. Apparently available in 9mm only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back