which annealer?

204 AR

I know this has been beat to death in the past, but new machines are coming out all the time. Amp is something I'd never justify, I'm looking at the Ugly or the EP. Right now I'm leaning towards the EP, which doesn't have a hopper but also adjusts for any cartridge without any other parts needed. For the smallish lots I do, a box of 100 would take maybe 15 or 20 minutes? What does everyone run these days? I've done plenty of the drill and socket and looking to move on from that.

I too was torn between the EP 2.0 and the Ugly. The EP looks nicer, is more compact, and looks a little easier to adjust for different calibers. BUT it lacks a hopper. Not a big deal for smaller batches, but nice for larger batches. Both units have very similar operating mechanics. They are both good units. I chose the Ugly just because it has a hopper. It's kinda ugly and big but it functions great.

As for annealing in general, I don't think it's as critical as some think to get annealing scientifically AMP "perfect". It doesn't hurt to be perfect, but most of us don't require that kind of precision at such a high cost. I think there's a pretty good window of "good enough" for 99% of shooters (okay maybe 98%) and I don't think it's very difficult to get there with a $300 machine or even a careful eye over a torch & drill. Maybe like powder scales, you need to be pretty close but most of us don't need to weigh down to single kernals of powder. There are weaker links in the chain to worry about than a few degrees of temperature for annealing or a single grain of powder. My opinion... Mostly I went with an annealing machine to cut down on time, it's faster and easier than using a handheld torch.

20231114_204754.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running a Giraud and it sucks having to change disc and adjust it all the time when changing calibers but it does work well.

ive got a gen 1 Annealeeze

if i were to switch, i'd probably go with an ugly. the EP looks great an all, but the lack of a hopper is a deal breaker for me.

i process brass in batches - relatively large ones at that. i'm not doing 20-50 peices at a go. single feeding 1000+ cases just isnt appealing for me.

Yeah the hopper would be nice I'm sure. It's not like the price difference is a deal breaker either, and maybe the thing that bugs me most about the EP is that the torch isn't attached so it could be more difficult to get a consistent set-up.

About 2 years ago I got into long range precision shooting and bought an AMP annealer. The thing is sweet, I've tried flame annealers and nothing comes close. The flame needs to be constantly adjusted as the tank empties, and I struggled to get consistency over the long run. I anneal all of my long range brass after every firing and it's dead on every time. At the same time I would argue that 99% of shooters don't need that kind of accuracy or consistency.

Man, I wish I had one of those sexy looking machines! I just grab a deep well socket out of my toolbox that whatever caliber I’m shooting will fit the tightest in and spin it in my cordless drill with a propane torch pointed at the brass neck and count to around 10 till it starts BARELY turning pink inside the neck area and dump it in some cold water.

I have learned the hard way not to overheat them in the past. When I first got going in this annealing technique I gave a few cases a little bit too much heat too long, and when I went to see the bullet, my case is crushed like butter. So the ones that I seated in he had hardly any neck tension either. I must have got them way too soft.

About 2 years ago I got into long range precision shooting and bought an AMP annealer. The thing is sweet, I've tried flame annealers and nothing comes close. The flame needs to be constantly adjusted as the tank empties, and I struggled to get consistency over the long run. I anneal all of my long range brass after every firing and it's dead on every time. At the same time I would argue that 99% of shooters don't need that kind of accuracy or consistency.
I couldn't agree more with you and crapshoot, everything I've read about it says it's by far the most precise set up. If I was deep into LR shooting you better believe it would be on my list. My needs just don't justify it though, like you said. It's like weighing powder to the hundredth of a grain, I just won't see the benefits of it at this time.

I’ve got the EP 2.0.
I like it. Easy to set up , and set up for different cartridges is a breeze.
Hoppers are overrated in my opinion. You need to keep an eye on it anyhow so putting cases in isn’t that big of deal.

As for annealing in general, I don't think it's as critical as some think to get annealing scientifically AMP "perfect". It doesn't hurt to be perfect, but most of us don't require that kind of precision at such a high cost. I think there's a pretty good window of "good enough" for 99% of shooters (okay maybe 98%) and I don't think it's very difficult to get there with a $300 machine or even a careful eye over a torch & drill. Maybe like powder scales, you need to be pretty close but most of us don't need to weigh down to single kernals of powder. There are weaker links in the chain to worry about than a few degrees of temperature for annealing or a single grain of powder. My opinion... Mostly I went with an annealing machine to cut down on time, it's faster and easier than using a handheld torch.

Ding, Ding, Ding winner. winner
the process is the same the costs are the difference
and the perceived results are a matter of degree's
Ginger or Maryanne

I thought about getting one of those AGS Annealers. Mostly because you can get custom inserts made for different cartridges. My main reason for wanting to get an annealer is for my 5.7 Johnson ( .22 Spitfire ) and from what I've seen most don't offer anything like that. I just need to soften the brass mainly to help necking down the brass. I ain't trying to spend an arm and a leg on one so I'm giving this one some serious consideration.

I'm gonna throw a vote in for the annealeeeze. I love mine and have been very happy. There's a few little tricks you can do to be more consistent for a flame annealer.

I just pulled the trigger on a Burstfire. The reviews looked good and the .price was right. Should be here in a few days. We'll see how it works.

I have been using an Annealeze for about 5-6 years now. It does a good job for me and suits my needs perfectly.

Back