Which 6.5 Grendel? – Buy or Build

Not to be a downer on Radical stuff but I bought their 7.62x39 bcg from Joebobs because it was cheaper than most, and it wasn't very good. Carrier was rough enough inside that my 243lbc wouldn't cycle, so swapped the bolt into another carrier and all was well until roughly 1400 rounds then broke a lug off the bolt. I didn't bother contacting them because I don't want another one.

I've been shooting a 24" Radical Grendel for a year, with a RRA lower and a Z3 scope. I only hunt with it, so it doesn't have a high round count, maybe 100 rounds. It is accurate and I've killed 5 or 6 coyotes with it. I don't know much about AR's, but the brass always hits the deflector right on the end of the case, which dents the slug end of the brass. Other than that it operates fine. I got it on sale for something like $379. I shoot factory ammo and don't expect to save any hides unless ya hit them in the chest. Ammo can be a pain to find at times. It isn't a RRA, but it also cost half as much.

I recommend a build if it's your second AR and you have a good idea of the thing you ultimately want. I built a 264 lbc (which is just a slightly tighter neck and different throat than SAAMI 6.5 grendel) and am super happy with it. Use it for everything up to deer when I'm feeling tacticool.

Back