where to zero for coyote's.

hello..interesting conversation's..maybe i'm simple..it seem's that folk's are using calculator's to figure out there zero ?? i'll admit i'm confused on modern technology..do modern time's say we sight in off a computer ?? i'll figure my deal out..

Last edited:
The programs are amazingly accurate. But you have to plug in the right numbers. You can not just use the defaults, well you can if you just want close. If you plug in all the conditions, I have not seen any ballistics program that was not within a half minute at 1000 yards.

Jack

Quote:
hello..i know it's been mentioned in the past where to zero ?? a common answer would be dead on @ 100..or 1 1/2" high.. after boresighting in my backyard..or having someone @ the gunshop do it for me..i'm usually dead on @ 25 yard's.."but" it seem's to me i'm usually several inche's high @100 yard's..i wish i kept record's for that..then i start making adjustment's..for a 100 yard zero..it make's me wonder where i should really zero...in my experiance's most called coyote's show up in the 50 yard area..maybe i should set the scope @ low power & zero @ 50 yard's..i know the only way to truly determine this for me is to spend time @ the range..& see what my result's are..i'm just wondering if i'm alone in my thought's or what other's are doing ??

Dave here is the deal. If you are right on at 25 yards, you will be about 3 inches high at 100 yards.

An inch LOW at 25 yards will get you in the ballpark. At 25 yards adjust your zero 16 clicks per inch off.

I get my guns close at 25 yards and fine tune the 100 yard impact. Takes 3 to 5 shots, and I'm all done with the whole process.

As far as Ballistic software is concern, no you don't need it at all. But I use mine all the time to calculate foots pounds of energy at a given range. Like to compare bullet trajectories at different speeds and bullet weights. Its fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

And like Jack said, amazingly accurate if you enter the correct info. To be truely accurate, a chrony is a must.

Remember Dave 1 inch LOW (bolt gun) at 25 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ditto what Sleddogg said. One inch low at 25yds and you should be right there at 100yds. Just a little fine tuning maybe. I sight all my rifles zero at 100 yds. That way there is no doubt or guesswork involved trying to remember which one you have in your hand. Makes it pretty simple.
Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I always seem to zero in at 100 but where I live my longest shot is normally 75 yds in Winter when the leaves have fallen and this time of year you can hardly see past 50 yd in a good place. I guess I should take this into consideration for my varmit rifles too. I guess I always hope to see or have that 300-400 yard shot on a gas line.

well you guy's are right..a quick trip to the range monday night..toting my 22/250 & 257 robert's..my two "fiddy" using handload's is right @ 1/2 high @ 100 using 7 power on the scope..it's a 2x7..dead on @50 using the scope @ 4 power..my 257 shooting factory ammo.."slightly" larger group..it's about 2" high @ 100..using a 3x9 scope @ 9 power..it's 1" high @ 50..scope @ 4 power..bottom line as i mentioned i get close @ 25 yard's..then focus @ 100 yard's..then never really wondered about what happened in-between..i guess i don't need to..guy's might be wondering why i'm worrying about all this..&..so do i..

Back