Where does the 17WSM fit in?

I bought mine for $300 +tax at Wally World and the stock came from Boyd's Rapid Fire sales for $99 and shipping (about $105). The plastic stock is junk IMO and the Boyd's was a drop in and a major improvement. I also did Cavedwellars method of bedding to.

I'm of a different mind set. I'd rather pay more from the git go to have something where I won't feel it's necessary to "upgrade" immediately and it operates like I want it to doing things such as bolt cycling, etc. If it does what I want, its a done deal. If it doesn't work out, that's what gun shops and gun trades are meant for. No biggie.......

Ahhhhh.....the 17WSM CARTRIDGE....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeHow much is a Bmag plus a Boyd's ?

I shopped around and found a heavy barrel SS Savage. Then got the Boyd pro varmint.

I am not big on thumbhole stocks. I ended up with about $20 more in my SS rig than a blue factory rig with a Boyd’s.

I shopped hard and was in no hurry.

I got all hot on one last year and kinda asked myself the same question. I almost got a 17 Hornet but held off on that as well. We are lead free here in CA and I am not planning on shooting 17 cal stuff at coyotes, I am already shooting light for caliber in 223 and 22-250. I held off and ended up scratching the 17 itch with a Savage 93R17GV in 17HMR. It solved my problems perfectly.....for cheap. Something to take to the range for low muzzle blast, no recoil and still accurate enough. No need to make up loads for it, just grab a box and go. The other thing is that it has enough steam to blow up water bottles when we shoot out in the desert. Not saying the 17WSM is a bad thing, it is cool. Just didn't really need one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crapshootI wonder if they could rechamber a 17hmr barrel from an nef.

It is my understanding that it can be done either from a 17 Mach II or a 17 HMR. There may need to be a bit of "wiggle" set for the firing pin but hey, its a rim fire. One might need to check the pressure thing on the receiver though.

I wondered about the same thing.

I have a Ruger 77/22K hornet and my smith has the Ruger 17 WSM. Hands down, the Ruger wins in the over all quality and looks over the BMag, but its taken me this long to talk myself in to the WMR that I just couldn't meret Ruger's price. And the little BMag don't look that bad with the new stock.

Last edited:
I need to get a picture of a 5 shot group shot out of my buddies B-Mag. It's got the original stock on it and it shoots amazing with either 20 or 25 grain bullets. If there's a prairie dog sticking its head out of a hole at 100 yards it's gonna get decapitated. I saw my buddy knock a water snakes head off at 50 yards with it one evening. He got a good one.

Last edited:
I've handled both Savage and Ruger. The Ruger is the only one I've shot and it's nice. They are pretty pricey like mentioned. That said, I do have a Cooper 17 HMR with a dang fine piece of wood on it...grin

One thing to remember is that some people live in rimfire only counties in different states and the 17WSM is the most powerful rimfire option we have.

I bought some more ammo, American Eagle 20 grainers. Thats what it seemed to like the best. Figure I'll give it some more range time and maybe try it on a coyote when the opportunity arises. I just have the mind set that its a rimfire and all the negative HMR posts has made me wonder if its up to the job of taking coyotes. But, its apples and oranges. Two different cartridges. And it is fun to shoot as well.

The 17 WSM, for a rimfire, is a capable little cartridge and if coyotes were on the menu and I lived in a rimfire only area, the 17 WSM would be my first choice, but, for me, I'd want them to be within a 150yds and shot placement would be of high importance.

Even though all of the 17 WSM ammo is made by Winchester, if you look at all available ammo options, there are a few differences that could result in different performance levels in different rifles.

I know for a fact that at least one brand that I can still find on dealer shelves in my AO uses a HP bullet while most use poly tipped bullets. Its possible that there may be other subtle differences such as powder used and charge weights that can't be seen by the human eye from WW to Hornady to Federal to Browning ammo. .....??

https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.php/type/Ammunition/caliber/10001564

Any 17 WSM that isn't loaded with 15gr, 20gr, or 25gr poly tipped bullets is old stock and has been discontinued some time ago.

I've talked to Winchester and all of the 20gr poly tipped ammo is loaded the same, regardless of what the label on the box says.

I have also taken a few of the 20gr tipped 17 WSM from, AE, Win and Hornady apart and weighed out the components separately. The bullets and powder charge in all of them, regardless of label, has pretty much been spot on with all of them and case weight was also nearly the same. Where the big variance comes from in the 17 WSM ammo is in the priming compound. Their QC on how they prime these cases, to put it mildly, is terrible. Some cases, even from the same box, will have substantially more priming compound than another. Some had the priming compound all down at the base of the case while others would have it slopped up the side walls of the case. I had some with as much as 7 tenths of a grain more priming compound in it than another. How much that affects velocity or anything else, I don't know and I could never get Winchester to give me an answer. The only answer they would give is, "this is production ammunition, not target grade". So with a response like that, I suppose we should be happy it's not worse and be greatful these things shoot as well as they do.

B23, I don't doubt what your saying but its strange that my rifle seems to like the American Eagle best. Maybe the barrel was fouled enough to make a difference as I shot the AE ammo last. Would that make that drastic of a change. The other brands of bullets shot patterns instead of groups. Maybe more testing?? Good reason to go shoot to!

Originally Posted By: B23
Some had the priming compound all down at the base of the case while others would have it slopped up the side walls of the case. I had some with as much as 7 tenths of a grain more priming compound in it than another.

curious how you got the priming compound out to weigh it?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: B23
Some had the priming compound all down at the base of the case while others would have it slopped up the side walls of the case. I had some with as much as 7 tenths of a grain more priming compound in it than another.

I scraped it out very delicately with a long pick. I believe it goes in as a paste then drys fairly quickly. I don't know about other rimfires but all of the 17WSM ammo I scraped it out of the priming compound was green.

To be honest, I didn't really think it out very thoroughly before I did it because I imagine that stuff is fairly volatile and having given it some thought since, I won't be doing it again any time soon.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: B23

I scraped it out very delicately with a long pick. I believe it goes in as a paste then drys fairly quickly. I don't know about other rimfires but all of the 17WSM ammo I scraped it out of the priming compound was green.

To be honest, I didn't really think it out very thoroughly before I did it because I imagine that stuff is fairly volatile and having given it some thought since, I won't be doing it again any time soon.

smile.gif
If you got by with doing it one time, probably not doing it again is a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan
smile.gif
If you got by with doing it one time, probably not doing it again is a good idea.

Trust me, I've thought about how I did it multiple times since and I'm probably lucky I still have both of my eyes. I don't know, maybe that stuff isn't as volatile as I think, but nonetheless, it probably wasn't the best of ideas and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

As to the 17 WSM rifles/ammo in general, it seems, regardless, of which one you purchase, they either shoot pretty well or not at all. My HB SS Bmag came out of the box from new and went straight to my gunsmiths, and yes he turned up his nose at it but since we are friends he went ahead and worked on it anyway, before a single shot was ever fired through it so I have no idea how good or bad it shot out of the box, but mine seems to shoot all of the different 20gr poly tip ammo relatively well and about the same. I bought a few cases of the 15gr ammo from Midway USA when they had a big sale on it awhile back and that stuff shoots well for me too.

Back