When is it time to stop pulling the trigger?

When the day comes when I want to stay home and watch Oprah on TV rather than go shooting or going for a motorcycle ride I hope coincides with the day I draw my last breath.

Last edited:
I don't see that happening. But I'm 30 years old so give me another 40 or so years and if I'm still here I'll see how I feel. If I'm still in good health I'll probably still be shootin stuff more than likely.

Hunted whitetails all my adult life but when deer failed to hold my interest; would liven things up with a coyote call or three. Soon realized the coyotes were much more challenging. Gave up deer hunting entirely and began hunting coyotes at least three days/week after retiring @ age 62, taking an occasional exotic to keep the freezer stocked.

Was fortunate to continue that schedule until three years ago at age 80 when life got in the way. Closing in on 84 now and moving a bit slower, situation prevents my being gone for more than afternoon hunts now, but, if anything, the desire to get after them has increased. Don't expect that'll ever change so long as I'm on this side of the grass.

Regards,
hm

I'm 70 in a month or so. Gave up Elk and deer hunting 20 years ago when I had a heart attack a week before I was suppose to be on top of the mountain. Varmint hunting is now my passion along with riding a motorcycle all over this country. My pdog buddy is 86 and still going strong. Do it as long as you can and don't look back. I have always had the thought that I would not want to be laying on my death bed thinking or saying " I wish I had ......"

I get it. I'm only 53, but have gone thru over 3 decades since a broken back, and putting my head thru a windshield, and Lord knows what other rednek/farm boy episodes. Life's much better since 2 double-level spinal fusions (lumbar and cervial), but a cranky ankle, and some internal issues let me know I'm still alive. I'm starting to see where it goes downhill unless we keep it going up hill! I'm getting back at it moreso since I dont live in so d**n much pain anymore. I look at it different than before, and it's not near so much about the kill, although I'm definitely not the most successful hunter in the world. Started spending the first day or so with Dad in deer rifle season since he suddenly up and got old on me at 79. We get along bettern ever now. After we fill his tag, I go to camp with the guys. I love hunting camp and all the goings on there, and being able to roam the north PA mountains there, but my time left with him is precious now. Those mountains will always be there. I hope to be trigger pullin till I'm done here on Earth, and more than that, roaming..... somewhere........

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisWith the Zombie crisis in full swing I have decided to go call Coyotes tomorrow!

Coyotes are now educated and probably not too anxious to come into a call, however we have had a blizzard and cold temps the past two days.......

Here goes nothing;-)

I will be 57 in May, 6’6” tall, 255lbs and still going strong.

Went out today, saw a total of 5 coyotes and only killed 1.

It warmed up to 60 degrees today and the Yotes were NOT moving.
Heard probably 5-6 different groups this morning.

I took a guy that is supposedly a Bird Hunter! He stayed in the truck on the one stand were I killed the coyote. He is 46 and slow as [beeep], couldn’t get over a fence and struggled to open/close gates. He was always walking 30 yards behind me and we left the truck at the same time.

We were hunting approx 2 hours from Home, he slept most the way home!

I will continue too chase Yotes until the good Lord puts me 6’ under and I have no intentions of slowing down;-)

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisI took a guy that is supposedly a Bird Hunter! He stayed in the truck on the one stand were I killed the coyote. He is 46 and slow as [beeep], couldn’t get over a fence and struggled to open/close gates. He was always walking 30 yards behind me and we left the truck at the same time.

.....I have no intentions of slowing down;-)

I hear that, Pop. Chasin' coyotes kept me in pretty good shape, but when I had to stay close to home, not so much. Hopefully things are changin' and may be able to get out more often and hope to get back in shape. Amazing how fast we go downhill when we are not so active. Dang treadmill sure gets boring!
frown.gif

Regards,
hm

Sure a lot easier to get "out of shape" than "getting in to shape". I'm guilty of that big time. Winter months got me lazy. I'm not in terrible shape now but sure can tell a difference.

One thing to consider is there is a difference between Hunting and Shooting. While actively hunting can be difficult as joints start wearing out. Shooting doesn't have to be too difficult. I count myself fortunate enough to live close enough to a well run gun range and have started participating in some friendly competition. Recently I shot 22LR Benchrest at 100 and 200 yards. May not sound entertaining to some but the lower noise, lower recoil, and difficulty landing a 22LR at 200 yds made it very enjoyable.

Sure this can get expensive like all shooting sports but it doesn't have to.

Along with trying out some friendly competition, consider mentoring younger shooters. It can be very rewarding as well.

I had let hunting and shooting fall victim to work and family. As soon as I retired it didn't take long to realize how much fun I had been missing.

One of the correct answers to the OPs question. When is it time to stop shooting? For me it is whenever there is a ceasefire called at the range. Otherwise, reload and keep going!

I'm still an avid shooter and very active with my gun club. To active during summer months with all the mowing. Doubtful I'll totally give up hunting even at 71. I still like having a freezer full of venison.

Just finished hunting 23 of the 25 day spring turkey season. No turkey to show for it, but walking five or more miles a day I started at about 185 pounds, and am now just under 170. The shutdowns of course meant no eating out, and self imposed stop on drinking helped a lot. At 68 I feel great, and will keep at it as long as I can.

Spent at least 3 days/week at hunting lease up to age 81 when family health issues got in the way. Still getting out for half day hunts when possible, unfortunately few and far between. On the bright side, makes even the abbreviated trips all the more special.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Getting a deer out solo is tough, then getting it up in the truck bed. One would have to plan ahead some, with recovery.

Even when I have help, I give consideration to where I’m at. No need to shoot a spike horn 1 mile from the truck with no access, large buck, yes, I’ll figure it out.

Everything gets magnified if elk hunting.

One can become more selective with any shooting, another idea is small game or more ‘varmint’ hunting. With prairie dogs one doesn’t carry much back except empty shell cases.

My grandfather was 90 when he stopped shooting . my mom said he had to he was having trouble seeing woodchucks and she didn't want him getting into trouble. But I know talking to him if his eyesight wasn't bad he would still be shooting woodchucks every day on the farm.that was his favorite thing to do after he retired

Originally Posted By: SixsixtyMagsI'm 72, and it is getting harder!
My hunting buddy is 67, everywhere we hunted this year we made sure that we could get a deer out with a deer cart. Without that deer cart there is no way I would want to drag deer out of where we were hunting, we both have homemade carts with 26" wheels on them, what a difference getting deer out. I can hunt deer on my property and did get a buck there 2 yrs. ago, at least I still have that option if things really go downhill!
Might add, my buddy may have stopped hunting without me to go with. He had a back operation and wears a patch for pain, new patch he feels pretty good, next day some pain, and the 3rd day he's really in pain, then time for a new patch. I don't know if I would even want to hunt anymore if I were in his situation, sure doesn't sound like fun.

I'm "only" 54 next week, but broke my lumbar spine when I was 14, put my head into a couple of windshields along the way, and now have 2 double-level spinal fusions - one lumbar, one cervical - and at least 3 more "bulging" discs that I know of. That said, I'm more comfortable in the last 10 years or so since my surgeries, than the prior 30 carrying all those unhealed wounds around. Just flat out hurt!! Point is, I guess I got old young, and learned NOT to cross over every hill and mountain in my way to testosterone-laiden glory, due to increasing the pain. But I "wanted" to cross all said hills and mountains.......point - although it isnt as glamorous, there can be just as many deer, turkeys, bear, etc. next to the road in places, and since you only are gonna eat less than half of a given animal's body weight, boning the meat out in the field 1. saves a LOT of weight to be drug out! A decent lite wt. pack makes this all that much easier, 2. a good lite wt. seating arrangement your body likes when your resting, on stand, calling, etc. is much the same, 3. good boots that work for you are also the same, 4. choosing "easier" terrain, or easier modes of transport (like AWS's cycle, or a mt. bike, etc.) are definite options to make the experience more enjoyable), etc., etc. And probably most importantly, at any age or stage, a good exercise regime that works for your body, needs and problems will eliminate/minimize a lot of your issues going afield regularly. On the physiacal end. And it helps the mental too.

Now if your talking about the mental aspect of when you just dont enjoy hunting anymore, well.....I dont know anything about that....yet....LOL! So far, I've just found ways around all of that. In reality though, I dont go out near as much as I used to when I could push though the pain mentally. And for no good reason, either, other than I just got tired of hurting all the d**n time!! And I finally got to a point where I got off the pain pills - no addiction issues, just needed to get healed after so long of being injured w/o correction, enough so that I could dump the pills, and deal with what pain remained. The drugs can mess your mind up. I do WAY more reading on here and other sites, than I do hunting.....and that is sad! No offense intended, guys!! LOL - great site, with a BUNCH of great knowledge and chatter here. But pain "taught" me sitting still was easier, in a reclining comfortable chair......but in no ways better. I digress.....enjoy your life the way you wish, as it is only so long that we get to enjoy the bounty of this life.

I will be 69 at the end of this month, and while life threw me a mean curveball recently (fell backwards off a trailer and broke my neck), I am still upbeat about getting back to hunting and shooting. Currently I am wearing a neck brace and mending, but the surgeon says I should be good as new after a healing process. So, I purchased a new 6.5 Grendel upper to make myself feel better and for something to look forward to. It is sitting by, waiting on me.

When I was younger I was basically on an unofficial quest to hunt a variety of species and collecting personal trophies as I went. At one time groundhog hunting captured my interest. Experimenting with varmint rifles and various bullets was exciting. Back in the day deer hunting was a passion too. I was an addicted bowhunter too, never thinking I would ever give it up. But as time went on I seemed to lose some interest, plus the fact that my body isn’t as willing as it once was. Pulling that bow became more difficult, so I resorted to a crossbow. Now I rarely pick up a bow, and don’t do much deer hunting at all. Predator hunting seems to have captured my attention over the last several years. There are seasons in life it seems, when desires for one seems to lessen and a new desire emerges.

Another transformation has happened to me as I have grown older, and that is that I am pretty content to assist someone else on the hunt rather than feeling a need to do it myself. On my last Wyoming trip I went up to the last day of the hunt when a member of our group said “David, you haven’t pulled a trigger yet.” I had spent all the time videoing the others, and enjoyed it. At the 11th hour I managed to get two antelope. On a south-Georgia “bowhunt only” hog hunt I spent the entire time behind a camera videoing my son and buddy. I never picked up my crossbow a time on that hunt, but I had a great time nonetheless.

My specific hunting interests have changed over the years. While I am still in relatively good health, I am just not as energetic as I once was. My mind is still full of planning, what-if’s, experimenting with equipment and such and mostly focused on getting that next coyote. I will hate to see the day when I can’t get out for a hunt. Hunting is in my blood, and it will always be there, whether doing it physically, helping someone else or thinking about it.

I am 73 74 in sept. and my freezer is full of elk,that I will be hunting again this fall. and I still hunt coyotes and sleep in tents when it is cold. I just like being out away from people and city's. I shoot every week.and fly fish. if you stop you die.

LOL, every year I say this is it, I'm done. But when October rolls around I'm in the woods again. Kinda like when I say I don't need any more rifles and buy three in two weeks. LOL! Last year the nice 9 point I shot about killed me getting it out of the woods and into the truck but I got it done. Just took me a little longer than it did when I was younger. And..I was a little more sore the next few days.

Back