What's Your "Go-To" Gun

sandgapsniper

I was wondering what your best all-around coyote gun is. I'm not too interested in caliber, I'm more interested in who is hunting with bull barrels, slim barrels, bolt actions, auto's, etc...

Mine has been a Winchester Super Stealth II in .243WSSM for about the last year, but I've been considering trying to find something lighter. That bull barrel get's realy heavy after a couple miles.

A Browning A Bolt or Micro Hunter A Bolt. I have a few and they all think they are bull-barreled target rifles when it comes to groups.

U pick a caliber, I'll take it in one of these.

Either a DTech 20" Bull, or a DPMS 16" Bull. Both in .223 shooting 60gr VMaxs. The choice depends on how far I'm planning on walking that day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'll take my Remmy 788 .22-250 if I'm going to be walking, if I'm not going to be walking I'll take my DPMS .204 with a heavy barrel.

More and more it's the CZ 527 Varmint. Mine is in 204 Ruger and weighs 7.2 pounds naked. It wears a 3 by 9 scope for coyotes in the fall and winter and come spring an old 8 by 32 Tasco target dot goes on for ground squirrels and rock chucks. This gun at well under 9 pounds with everything on it is not to bad to pack and accuracy is excellent.

I packed a Ruger #1B in 243 for a bunch of years before I got this rifle.

Model 7 Rem in .17 Remington with 18" barrel. 2X7 Leupold vari XII.

Bushmaster Flattop .223 With truglo extreme 2X reddot sight.

Weighs less than mod 7.

RRA/Custom AR in 17 Rem. Lothar Walther barrel 18"heavy

Truglo extreme Red dot

Free float and Ace skeleton stock

Way heavy but tackdriver.

Dave

Savage 110, killed more dogs in a season with it than most people see in a lifetime. It was a great price, accurate and has always performed for me.

Open country or cougar country: Rem 788 .308 (with Burris FF2 3-9 variable Bal Plex). For close-in country (less than 150meters): CZ 527 .221 Fireball (with 4200 2.5-10 power with duplex).

I like the .221 best of all for accuracy and it is "quiet".

Karl in Phoenix

Quote:
I was wondering what your best all-around coyote gun is. I'm not too interested in caliber, I'm more interested in who is hunting with bull barrels, slim barrels, bolt actions, auto's, etc...

For me that would be a Lilja #4 barrel, 24" long, mated to a Model Seven action with a 28 oz. trigger nestled in a Rem. Classic pattern stock (wood or McSwirly). Prefered chamberings won't generate enough recoil to disrupt the sight picture too much.

I can make coyotes die pretty consistently, with something like that...

- DAA

P.S.

Here's a picture of one exactly as I described. Which just happens to be my all time favorite coyote rig. This picture was from the very first morning afield with it.

FX3Yotes2.jpg

- DAA

Accurate, Light weight, Good trigger, and powerful enough to humanely harvest a coyote. Lower end Power level .17 Remington Fireball. With that said I feel shots should be limited to

My go to stick is a 243 ackley with a #6 lilja barrel on a trued up remington 700. Stock is a Joel Russo lamanate. Shoots 55 grain noslers at 4250 fps into little tiny groups. Windy days, the 25-7mm rem mag shooting 75grain v-max at 4200fps gets the nod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LMAO @ Kirby! i got a box stock 20" HBAR ar-15.. right down the the cheesy plastic handguards. it's got a 3-9 simmons off a savage package rifle and shoots minute of yote as far as i am comfortable shooting it.. after the gov't stimulus check, i got $40 of my own money in it!

Stiller Pred. action, #5 contour Lilja barrel, Sako hunter stock made by Mcmillan. Chambered in 17 Pred. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Back