What's your favorite pair of hunting pants?

Originally Posted By: GCYou can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...

blush.gif
I need to remember to sub to threads if I start them. Work got so busy I forgot to check back and just ended buying because its what I found for cheap.
Still waiting to find some nice wool pants at the good will. If not I will finish this last year of school then next year I can get some quality pants and gear and no more of this trying to scratch by.

It was just a general observation and not necessarily directed toward you. Though I've never done it I've heard good deals can be found at Goodwill. Keep your eyes open for a quality pair of wool pants, you won't regret it. Good hunting, be safe and hang in there at school.

For hot weather hiking and backpacking 100% wool shirts are all I wear. Wool has a lot of interesting and unique properties.

For really (way below freezing) cold weather, I like wool long handles. I have a couple different weights, but the heavy ones are really too warm for anything above single digits. They sure are nice for sleeping in when it's below zero in the tent though!

Buddy gave me some wool pants last year. Will try them this year when it gets cold enough. Again, think they are too warm for temps above single digits though.

- DAA

You're right about wool. Wool socks (Darn Tough) are all I wear anymore, and lightweight wool T-shirts are great for backpacking either alone or as a layer. I still prefer synthetic pants for year-round use and durability, but I don't do much snow stuff, just some early and late season weather.

Originally Posted By: vahunterI like Wrangler camo jeans, they seem to last forever.

I like the camo wrangler cargo pants at walmart, but they can be lacking if it is very cold. If it is really cold I wear flanel lined cargo pants from bass pro plus base layer. Often though I am upland hunting, so I just wear my upland pants. However, I live in the desert. If it is raining, I'm going home.

You might visit a columbia outlet store. They have nice synthetic pants for cheap.

Synthetic shirts are great all year round. I like cabelas guidwear long sleeves. Wear them from 120 degrees to -20.

Kuiu attack pants are awesome I have worn them for 2 seasons good water resistance comfortable because of all the stretch! Good for a variety of conditions but over $100

I use the 100% cotton woodland camo BDU pants made by Propper International. About $30. They last for years thru heavy usage, the waist has adjusting straps in case you go up or down a few inches or pounds during their life cycle, has plenty of pockets for carrying your stuff to the hunting stand. They are much lighter than jeans especially if wet.

I am in Central Florida where it could 90 or 30+- during hunting season days and I need a clean pair of hunting clothes morning and evening for as many days as I am going to be hunting so buying those expensive outer wear pants is not feasible. The BDU pants are roomy enough that I can slip on a pair of thermals or even sweat pants if cold weather. I wear these when trapping all year also.

https://www.propper.com/mens/pants/bdu-trouser-button-fly.html

Last edited:
I wear 1 piece Camo Coveralls when hunting. Wrangler sells Insulated Jeans that really help in the cold weather. They look and fit the same way as their normal jeans but have insulation. You can find them on Amazon for about $50 a pair. They really help me in the cold temps. Good luck!

Woolrich buffalo plaid pants... a bit pricey unless your wife finds a pair at goodwill for $4
wink.gif

This year is my first time getting to use them and I am now in love with wool. Its amazing how I can not sweat walking around in them even when it is warm and stay warm when it cools down. The pattern is great for anything that is red color blind and at the same time stands out decently to humans.

If you are in a place where it is [beeep] or cold jeans(or anything cotton) are bad.

Anything I get cheap at Goodwill/ARC/garage sales...of course. I do prefer the military style that have the knee pockets for closed cell foam support/protection. You can even leave them in for washing.

For shirts I usually prefer a prairie-color compatible pastel plaid quilted shirt instead of camo. Works great for me and i'm a spot and stalk guy mostly. For colder weather I now have 2 used (of course) lighter-colored camo coveralls. Always in the back of my truck stored rolled up with a bungee.

Got a buddy who uses an interesting system. Since he often hunts for short periods he just keeps light and heavy coveralls in his truck that can be slipped over his street clothes. Thought that was a good idea. Hunting/skinning fur one hour and going to a formal dinner the next. Watch out for the "fleash" though as my Filipina often says.

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteAnything I get cheap at Goodwill/ARC/garage sales...of course. I do prefer the military style that have the knee pockets for closed cell foam support/protection. You can even leave them in for washing.

For shirts I usually prefer a prairie-color compatible pastel plaid quilted shirt instead of camo. Works great for me and i'm a spot and stalk guy mostly. For colder weather I now have 2 used (of course) lighter-colored camo coveralls. Always in the back of my truck stored rolled up with a bungee.

Got some nice jungle camo BDU pants and shirts for next to nothing... The real stuff so that was nice... still had Flag patches and had to remove the guys name from one of the shirts. Really nice general purpose hunting/working gear.

I also like to shop walmart/meijer/whereever in the winter/spring when hunting gets clearanced. I got a couple pair of $50-60 pants for $4 each and they are really nice and super comfortable.

I have three or four different camo pattern BDU cotton or cotton blend pants. I don't worry about rain during the coyote hunting season. I have a quilted polyfil pair of long johns I have had since high school. 40 plus years. Don't wear them unless it is really cold so they only get worn about 5 days a year. Most of you don't know what I am talking about. You can't find them anymore, but there is a place called Hanks Clothing that carries them. Put them under a pair of camo pants and I am good to go in the coldest weather. With them under my camo pants I can sit for a half hour in 25 below. Not good however if you are doing a lot of walking. It would be the same as a pair of insulated carharts.

You guys that like bargain BDU's, probably too late already, but the thrift store by my house had a whole bunch of them a couple weeks ago. A hefty garbage bag full. Used to be mine
laugh.gif

- DAA

My favorite camo hunting pants arent labeled with a manufacturer that i can find. They are multi-cam and were insect repellant infused with permethrin. These have no cotton in them, mostly nylon and other synthetics and are thicker & heavier than the thin, weak Propper brand that are available today.

I am pretty much sold on the newer performance, Under Armour type fabrics. My current favorites are some Midway brand pants that I bought on closeout after Christmas last year, but I have a pair of Kings Camo pants that are pretty close.

No way in [beeep] I would hunt in jeans, BDUs, or any of the other heavy, stiff fabrics I have seen mentioned.

Back