Whats is best fur friendly caliber and bullet selection?

Have yet to shoot a fox with my 17 wsm but heard great things, and yes it is a coons worst nightmare lol. Ps im from Indiana too, Franklin co

Originally Posted By: Rhett Steele17wsm flat wrecks and drops fox, we can't shoot bobcat in Indiana so I can't speak for it on a bobcat. Coons and fox I can't think of a better round. I've yet to shoot a fox with mine but it is truly a raccoons worst nightmare lol. Ps I see you're from Indiana. Me as well, Franklin co

In the last week I have taken 2 western Bobcats with the 17wsm using the 25gr Winchester ammo. I'm really liking the results. Both went down in there tracks with one chest shot and one shot behind the front leg. The side shot passed through and left a bean size exit hole (easily sawed). The entrance was no larger than the bullet.

I also have taken multiple gray fox this year with it. With the same outcome. Only 2 had any real damage. That was due to poor shot placement and striking the front shoulder.

I have had better results with the 25gr Varmint HE Ammo vs the 20gr Varmint HV.

I have no experience with the .17 Hornet or Remington, I would like to compare the results sometime.

I have taken about 800 coyotes and cat with my 17REM. shooting 25gr.bergers hands down the best for kilning and fur damage. I wish I would have had one when I started instead of the 22-250 shooting 52gr.HPBTM bullets from Hornady and berger. I could have saved miles of thread.

I can’t say what is but I went to the 17wsm. Mine likes the 25gr the best. Lately I have shot two coyotes, ( mangy) but both were bang and done at just over the 100 yard mark average. One throat and one broadside.
I bought it specifically for cats of which we only get 5 per season and the pelts are the valu to me. Our season opens next week so I will update later.
We of course have snow so tracking after the shot is not a concern.
I also believe the .17 wsm will be a terrific cab gun for close critters of all kinds that I jump.

Hef-A

Not only the bullet but the gun and shooter.
I once shot a coyote where the bt bullet slipped in along side the eyeball and fragmented in the brain.
No entrance wound no exit.
.223 50 gr ballistic tip.

Spent most of the last 30 years with either a .17 rem or a Mach IV in the truck. I run the Remington at 3500 with a 25 Hornady, and the Mach IV with 20 vmax at 3200. Both are awesome on reds and cats as long as you take your time and don't shoulder blade or spine them. If wait out a cat most times they will give you a frontal shot that wont even drip blood when you carry them.

Originally Posted By: gotspotsSpent most of the last 30 years with either a .17 rem or a Mach IV in the truck. I run the Remington at 3500 with a 25 Hornady, and the Mach IV with 20 vmax at 3200. Both are awesome on reds and cats as long as you take your time and don't shoulder blade or spine them. If wait out a cat most times they will give you a frontal shot that wont even drip blood when you carry them.

giphy.gif

Back