What's everyone's thoughts on letting buddies borrow a rifle

Ricky Bobby

Just thought it would be neat to hear everyone's difference in opinions on this matter.

I have a good friend who is leaving in several weeks to go out west on an antelope bow hunt. Guide told them to bring along rifles so that if they kill out he can get them on other things (I'm thinking maybe prairie dogs mainly). Anyway, he asked if I'd be willing to let him take a .204 of mine & I said ABSOLUTELY! I wouldn't ever hesitate to let him borrow anything of mine.

Curious how others treat their friends that ask to borrow things ...that's all.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeNo problem. I just wouldn't send toooo many bullets.

If a barrel gets burnt up, I want to be part of it.

lol.gif
lol.gif
Now you're talkin! I like the way you think.
thumbup1.gif

I NEVER barrow other peoples guns, so The answer is NO you cannot barrow mine. I got burned 30 years ago on a gun coming back dinged up, that will never happen again.

I always ask if the person asking to barrow one of my guns, has a $5000.00 non-refundable cash deposit, and the answer if no.

I treat my guns better than my wife at times (Sorry dear)

I loaned my 6mm to a friend to take deer hunting, he jacked with the scope and never told me. I missed a coyote with it that should have been a gimmee. When I checked it later it was 6" high at 100yds.

So now I'm very careful who I loan to, and always check my zero when I do.

Yes, I have let friends use rifles. But it does depend on the friend and the gun. There is a you broke it you bought it clause.

My hunting buddies...yes, my children...yes, coworker friends...NO

I see how my hunting buddies and children treat the rifles in the field. If they are borrowing one of mine and something happened, they would make it right.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterNo...

Did it three times, and learned my lesson.

You're buddies must suck. I only have a few buddies I would lend my guns to but they would repair or replace anything they screwed up.

Depends on the buddies and on the guns. Don't have any guns I'm so emotionally attached to that I would be afraid to loan them to a buddy, but by the same respect I don't have many buddies I'd consider loaning them to that couldn't/wouldn't repair/replace anything they broke. Those that couldn't/wouldn't simply ain't high enough on my buddy list to borrow much of anything I own.

Loaned my old 788 to a brother-in-law 3 years in a row to deer hunt and between him and his wife they piled up 4 deer in 5 shots with it. Never had a scratch on it, and was always cleaned and oiled when he brought it back, he never touched anything but the trigger on it. In fact, he treated it with more respect than I did.

I would have to be pretty confident that the borrower would treat my firearms as I would....And I can be pretty skeptical/picky most of the time...

I bought a nice CZ 527 Varmint in .204 from a very close friend that makes a practice of keeping his weapons pristine and found that it had eight inches of powder residue caked in the front of the chamber from inadequate cleaning...Not sure I would even loan it back to him...

I teach my grandkids how to clean the .22s that they learn to shoot with and will eventually be theirs...They only get their hands on them in my presence and clean the same way...

Back