Whats a good all around .22 pistol

I don't have a old Colt.

Colt22001.jpg

Here it is. I got it for the trap line.

Originally Posted By: WebbyAr15I don't have a old Colt.

Colt22001.jpg

Here it is. I got it for the trap line.

And like all the other Colt 22LR pistols and revolvers that are scarce, Colt no longer makes and markets it..

-BCB

Originally Posted By: WebbyAr15I found mine on Auctionarms.com

OK...I'll be a little bit more specific. Yes they are still available and yes they are good pistols. But like I stated earlier, Colt no longer makes them.

Unlike all the other makes and models mentioned so far, they are not a current shelf item in most gun shops and definitely not in sporting goods stores that sell new 22LR handguns.

I buy Colt Diamondbak revolvers when I find a good deal on one in good condition. They too are excellent hand guns, but they also fall into the scarce category. That's why I never mentioned one when I was recommending a handgun. When one shows up in good condition, its an unusual thing. If you want it you better buy it then and not later....

PS: To avoid further questions; Yes S&W K-22's are currently being manufactured and are cataloged as current production by S&W - part of their Classic Series of revolvers. I saw several of them just a few weeks ago in a gun shop - both Model 17's (6") and Model 18's (4"). Whether they are the same quality as some of the older ones is another entirely different question.

-BCB

I use a Ruger MKII on the trapline and couldn’t be happier. My MKII probably has 20k rounds through it. Only thing I’ve ever broken was an extractor. Springs get replaced every year or so whether they need it or not. Lots of aftermarket parts if you’re interested. Most Rem bulk rimfire ammo is junk IMO. I’ve had good luck with most CCI, Eley, Wolf, and Fed ammo. My go to load is the CCI subsonic. It kills well and doesn’t exit.

If you can find one a Ruger SP-101 in 22 is a solid and fun gun. One word of caution is the rear sight is only adjustable for windage but NOT elevation. Not sure why Ruger did that but oh well.

Browning Buckmark or S&W model 17, 18 or 617. If you dont mind a harder trigger, the S&W models 34 and 63 are smaller "J" frames with a coil mainspring.

I have 3 and all are fun to shoot. The classic for me is a S&W 617, 6" 10 shot , a great target gun. My next favorite is a Ruger MKll, 5" bull barrel. My first was a Ruger MKl in 7.5" tappered bull barrel. The real fun gun is the 5" Ruger MKll.
Jim

Originally Posted By: youngdonSP-101? in .22?? >.327 fed. or 38spl or .357mag ok, but I have never heard of one in .22. The 327,38 or 357 are nice guns.

Yup. 204Dude has one. I shot it for the 1st time a week or two ago even. It may not be a K-22, and it wasnt ment to be, but a sturdy and solid gun it is. I just do NOT see how it would ever be possible to wear one out that's for sure.

I have three .22LR pistols.... 1) a late 60s vintage Model 34 4" that I purchased new, and still carry with great regularity 2) A Ruger 4" (non-fluted) heavy barrel 22/45 Mark II that is "possessed" by my son (he refuses to return it...I get visitation) 3) a K-22 6" that I "cherish" but do not carry or use much (too big for anything other than informal target shooting and if its that informal my Mdl 34 works)

I have owned and parted with three different Colt Woodsman(s) in various flavors; Browning Medalist (Pre-International Model w/case, forend and weights); Colt Single Six (convertible w/scope); 4" Colt Diamondback; A Ruger Single Action (not a Bearcat) and some kind of hideous thing made by "Hawes". The Medalist is the only one I regret selling. The Colt Single six comes close to being a regret.

If, I were buying "ONE" .22LR pistol today it would be the Ruger that I own. If I could only get mine back... LOL

Either the Ruger or the Browning for semi's. Toss in the Colt's too for used foder. Never cared for the "space age" looking guns. Guns like the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito look really neat but accuracy is not up to what I like.

Revolvers? Take your pick. Lots of good ones out there. Mearly a matter of feel and personal preference IMO.

CB

Pretty much repeating what has already been said, but if I had to choose one it would be my Browning Buckmark. Not real picky and super accurate.

My girl likes the P22 but it can be picky. There's a good write up out there on some easy modifications to make it more reliable, which I did. I just don't like the idea of having to smith a brand new gun to get it to run right.

A few friends have Sig Mosquitos and I would stay away from them.

Back