What you hunting with this year?

pyscodog

Deer season in Oklahoma is right around the corner. I see more and more people at the club working with their rifles. I'm sure some of you have new rifles or new to you rifles or built a new rifle just for deer season. So what you gonna use this year? I'll probably still use Frank, my old tried and true Rem 700 in 7mm08. Or maybe my Tikka 243. Either will get the job done.

Using grandpa's old Glenfield 30-30 to hopefully take a deer and maybe a bear. I would be thrilled to use his gun to take either. If not, will have the Bergara 6.5CM on standby.

Only drew a mulie tag. Not sure what gun I'll be using. Depends on how much I procrastinate doing load development.
Probably wind up using the 7mm and the same factory ammo I've been using the past several years.

I imagine I'll use my 7mm08 for gun season and my Omega for primitive. Same ones I've used for years. And my Excaliber for archery. Anyway that's the plan today.

We did not draw an antelope tag this year, dang.
I would have used my 26" Mauser 6mm Rem. I may use that for
some of my white tail doe tags. For big Mule deer bucks and elk, I'm using my rem 700 8mm RM. Maybe a few deer doe tags I'll borrow the Grand Doughters new 7x57 AI. We all got Swan tags this year I'll be after them with my Stoager 3500m.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogYou eat Swan?

YES
Is it good? no.
If you smoke it or make jerky out of it, it helps.
The biggest problem is there is SOOO much of it.
We have only 500 permits, Tundra, and trumpeter, given out in the Pacific Flyway. In the east part of the state, Central Flyway you can buy one over the counter, like sandhill crane.

Last edited:
Either a Ruger No.1 in.243 Winchester or a .308 Sako Finnwolf ,both for deer in PA.
In New Jersey a Savage 220F or a Ten Point crossbow for deer.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

If i even bother buying a deer or elk tag this year ill use the .308 on the right. If not, ill just be hunting cougar with the .223 on the left. Both are 16" barrels with elf triggers. Should have my next barrel in november, to make a matching 243.
K0oZce.jpg

I'll hunt deer in New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho and Texas this year. I also have elk tags for Idaho and Wyoming. In NM I'll be restricted to a muzzleloader. In Texas I'll use my bow. For elk I'll probably use my 300 win on both hunts. For deer I might use my 300 win or my ultralight 6.5 creedmoor.

Originally Posted By: jetmanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogYou eat Swan?

YES
Is it good? no.
If you smoke it or make jerky out of it, it helps.
The biggest problem is there is SOOO much of it.
We have only 500 permits, Tundra, and trumpeter, given out in the Pacific Flyway. In the east part of the state, Central Flyway you can buy one over the counter, like sandhill crane.

Many years ago when they had their first swan season in NC, myself & a friend were lucky enough to get drawn in the out-of-state pool. Having hunted ducks/geese for years I thought it was going to be just another hunt.

When the first flight came in, I was ready to shoot about 15 minutes before they arrived.
lol.gif
Those things were HUGE!
ohmy.gif
We decided afterwards that it was kinda like shooting down a Cessna .......

Anyway, yes, we did eat them. And they were smoked. And I agree with the above: Good? Not really. But edible.

I haven't really hunted big game since 2005. Since leaving WI and MN I'm not very good at remembering to put in for tags but this year I have a javelina tag for near the house and will combine coyotes and javelina, I keep calling them in coyote hunting. Plus I have an application in for a javelina tag in AZ to hunt with my nephew from UT. I'll be using the last rifle I built for deer, a 25-204 (257 Kimber clone), 6.5 Grendel and 22-250 with 55gr SPs. My

Been using the 6.5 CM Horizon custom rifle last few years. 2 hogs with it lately.

I also like my .270 Ruger 77, and when my daughter hunts with me she is a .257 Roberts in a Ruger 77.

I got got drawn for public land mule deer in Texas after 14 years and will probably be using the 300 mag in a Bergara B14 wilderness ridge I just since last season.

Back