What would you do #8

Quote:I use Vole squeaks sound on about half volume on any coyotes that hang up way out there. At least 50% of the time Vole Squeaks brings them in closer.Vole Squeaks is one of my pre-set sounds so I can switch to it quickly.

Bob, I was doing some calling Saturday night in a spot of I have killed several cats and one fox. Also called another fox another time with no shot.

Anyway as I was setting out the caller I picked up eyes in the brush at the edge of the pasture.

I started it low on baybee cottontail and it only seemed to glance my way. It never moved in 10 minutes other than to move it's head. I knew the eyes were too bright to be a rabbit, and it was being to still to be a fox or coon. At the 5 minute mark I changed to nutty nut hatch and still nothing. I was certain it was bobcat, but it was a few feet into the brush and I couldn't 100% identify it. Then I switched to vole squeaks.

Instantly I got a reaction with it raising it's head to look and moved slightly. Ok, he likes that. Few seconds later it starts to move, and slips into the field in plane view. A yellow house cat!

I went out to pick up the caller, and sat watching. I walked to the far corner of field where I had called a bobcat before and started calling with nutty nuthatch again. within seconds I saw eyes in the woods and this time it was an actual bobcat. Took him about 10 minutes to work in, but I got him.

Anyway, the vole squeaks was the ticket to move he house cat, and I had the same thing happen one time when it actually was a hung up bobcat.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I’m always trying to learn more about coyotes and continue to improve my ability to fool them.

Coyote conquest,

I’ve killed many male/females pairs, especially at this time of the year. I was just surprised to find out they were both males of different ages hanging out together. Your right, I should not assume gender and use proper pronouns so I don’t offend anyone. They could have both identified as females for all I know. I’ve just assumed that a uterus equals female and a penis makes it a male.

Back