What would you build for deer?

I hope your being funny! Its a 6.8spc or a 6.5 grendel. I am a bit partial but either one would do well on deer at the range you specified. It pains me to say this but being a non reloader 6.8 is a lot easier to obtain in my area and I only live 35 miles from Alexander Arms

Might have my 6.8 up for sale that I recently put together this year for deer hunting but cannot use now... plus it still hasn't been fired and have a lot of factory ammo to go with it.

I have killed 3 deer with the 6.8 and 110gr accubonds. They work very well. I have no doubt a 6.5 would get the job done too. If my budget allowed i would own both

I built a 6x45 this year for anything from prairie dogs to deer, that wont work for you though since you arent reloading

We have taken 4 White Bucks, and 4 Axis Deer (much thicker hide than any WT) with a 6.8.

It works great on hogs, even out to 300yds. Optimal performance is a 16" barrel and What I perfer for a staulking rifle.

Lots of great information on the 6.8 forums

6,8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel are both deer killing machines! You really can't go wrong with either till you get out past ranges of 300 yards.

I have killed a lot of white tails and mule deer with the 6.8. Both the barnes 95ttsx and hornady 120sst perform very well. Their minimum full expansion velocity is 1600 fps which puts them viable in that sense to 425 yards. I have never shot a deer beyond 300 with either but it performed very well. Heart lung shot300 yards, ran 30 yards and dead.

I've shot tougher animals such as pigs out to 250 yards with complete pass throughs and dropped in their tracks as well. It's a good solid hunting platform.

Last edited:
I've got both and they really are about equal to 300 yards, but after that the Grendel takes over hard. It's really hard to compete with the 6.5 bullet. To many companies competing to make the best long range bullet and Grendel shooters reap the benefits.

OK I shopped the local gun show for a 6.8. I found maybe six uppers but no complete guns. I did learn I want 6.8 SPC II. Any manufacturers to avoid? Preference in barrel length and twists?

The round was originally developed by the special forces to be used in a 16" barrel and I have heard they shot the best in them. I built one in a 20" White Oak Armament and it shoots .5" groups at 100 yrds with a 3x9 so I would say thats good enough.

All you need is a 16" midlength gas (18" at most) 6.8 SPC II barrel in 1-11.25 or 1-11 (1-10 will work) twist. AR Performance, Bison Armory, Wilson Combat, White Oak Armory, Rock River Arms, Stag Arms, or any of the custom builders like Ironworks Tactical or Ritch's Precision Guns would provide you with a quality rifle. The 6.8 is good on deer out to 3-400 yards, although mine is set up for short range brush hunting. PRI mags are best for handloaders wanting a long COAL, but are expensive. I use 5 round Kies magazines from Joebob Outfitters for hunting. More info can be found on 68forums.

Last edited:
Back