What will be new this year?

Plastic cartridge's in 6.8 MM, and 4.5# 50 caliber barrels, all for the military. Read it all in the last Outdoor Life.
Very interesting stuff!!

It will be a different year for me from several fronts.

It started good last spring with quite a few daylight kills, things hitting on all cylinders real well.

Then the thermal bug bit me. Took me a bit to get the right one in and working the way I wanted it to. Once I got the right unit and dialed it in though, I have really been liking it. The one I am using is a Pulsar Thermion XQ50. Of course most of the summer it was too hot to mess with it. But I did kill quite a few raccoons and quite a few pigs with it.

Here lately though the weather has turned real nice, and calling has been good. I have killed 5 coyotes with the thermal in the last couple of weeks. Starting to really get my night system worked out. Basically I am just taking all my daytime calling experience and converting it to night. Not really calling from the vehicle, but using a tripod and walking in. Still play the wind, still try and use cover, but calling more open areas where I can see good. Right now I am having some of the best success rates I have ever had. All good so far.

Now for the bad. About 6 weeks ago my wife was diagnosed with rectal cancer. We have been travelling back and forth to Dallas (4.5 hours one way) for testing, doctor appointments, and getting set up for treatments. Yesterday she started chemo. She has a chemo pump she will be wearing 24 hours a day for the next 6-8 weeks. Radiation should start next week we hope. That will be treatments 5 days a week for 6 weeks once it starts.

Luckily we have lots of family, a good church, and a community that really supports us. It is tough no doubt, especially for our 12 year old daughter. But everyone is pulling together and making things work. The next 6-8 weeks will be tough though.

I sure am glad I got into the thermal. With all the craziness going on it is nice to be able to slip out some at night for some stress relief. If I was limited to daytime calling right now it just probably would not be happening. Daylight hours are taken up by too many more critical things.

Back