What Varmint rounds are you using on your RRA Varmint 1:8?

cuda70

Just wondering what .223 Rem Varmint rounds you all are using with your RRA varmint 1:8 twist rifles? I guess a better way of putting it is what do you have great consistency with ie. clean accurate kills- p-dogs, groundhogs, coyotes. Looking for an explosive bullet, that won't fragment before reaching the target because of the faster 1:8 twist. Thanks in advance for any info. Oh I forgot to add I'm looking for off the shelf ammo.

Last edited:
I dont have a rra but my colt has a 1:7 and i have thought bout experimenting. Are you wanting to shoot a heavy bullet like a 75gr?

My RRA Varminter has never had a commercial round fired in it yet, but based on my reloading, I would try the Hornady TAP 223 Remington 60 Grain Hornady V-Max Ammunition or other re-manufactured ammo that uses the same bullet.

Mine liked the 40-55gr. V-maxes with BL-C(2) with my pet load being 50gr. V-max, 26gr. BL-C(2) and CCI 450 primers. I seat them out as far as the mag allows. They will drift in the wind pretty bad, but do shoot consistent and fairly flat. It is my groundhog load. Our big hogs can shrug them off at distances past 350yds if not head or heart shots. I was shooting them a few weeks ago trying to get some extended range practice and they were still ringing groundhog sized steel targets at 350yds and 420yds and were popping a bushel basket size rock at 503yds. I'm going to try them on yotes, jacks, and p-dogs in a few months
smirk.gif

Ooops missed the off the shelf part
blush.gif
. I started out shooting the Remington 55gr. Accutips before I started handloading with equal accuracy to my handloads. The price drove me to handloading eventually.

Last edited:
My pred purs 1-8 likes anything 50 gr v-max. I just shoot factory rounds however.
using a leupold scope and LaRue mount.

I would aslo suggest if you are reloading 60gr Vmax, 60gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. This is out of a DPMS Sweet 16 1:8 twist. Easily sub moa at 300yrds

I don’t have any experience with the 1:8 twist but everything I’ve read always lead me to believe that twist rate was best for 70gr and above so I always stayed around the 1:9 since I use 50 grainers.

I've passed up some really good deals on 1:8.

I don't have not had any thing but reloads of 55gr NBT or a few 60gr V-max reloads run through my rra predator and they are not very nice to PD's. They turn inside out with both rounds.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGI don’t have any experience with the 1:8 twist but everything I’ve read always lead me to believe that twist rate was best for 70gr and above so I always stayed around the 1:9 since I use 50 grainers.

I've passed up some really good deals on 1:8.

When I first was considering a RRA Varminter, I was concerned about the 1:8 twist as I then shot Sierra 52 gr.HPBT. I asked the question if that bullet would shoot good out of the 1:8 twist barrel and was told "don't be afraid of the 1:8 twist". They were right, I have shot 40 and 50 gr. V-max bullets with H335 and they group 5/8" or less at 100 yds. Now I have 3 of the 1:8 twist rifles.
So don't be afraid of the 1:8.
thumbup.gif

Flyrodder

Back