What to Use for a Thermal Target? (Dumb Question Alert)

I've found that tinfoil only works if the sun can see the foil.

I tried to sight in with tinfoil, in the forest, at night with no moon and it was no bueno.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmlOriginally Posted By: DoubleUpI've used both of what Mr. P suggests with about equal success. Both work well. You can also use aluminum foil or get a roll of aluminum tape like is used for hvac work and you can cut nice neat squares off it. Will last your lifetime.

Same here. The aluminum tape for hvac works perfect!

Does then aluminum tape work in all weather conditions?

Well, I've never tried to sight in with it snowing or raining so I can't say about that but works equally well in winter or summer. We don't get to -30 F here either, so don't know for sure in that respect.

How does ice work, I’m going to try this? It’s as opposite as you can be when thinking about heat needed for a Thermo. I’ll try it and the aluminum.

Ice works fine if you keep it in a small plastic bag or container. You may have to switch between white hot and black hot to get the sight picture that suits you best.

Originally Posted By: wardogoOriginally Posted By: cmlOriginally Posted By: DoubleUpI've used both of what Mr. P suggests with about equal success. Both work well. You can also use aluminum foil or get a roll of aluminum tape like is used for hvac work and you can cut nice neat squares off it. Will last your lifetime.
Same here. The aluminum tape for hvac works perfect!
Does then aluminum tape work in all weather conditions?
Both tinfoil and aluminum tape work best when there is sunlight or some type of light. If you can let a box or whatever you are shooting at in the sun for a little while and then shoot, you will be fine. At night, I will shine the truck lights or something against the target, and it seems to help but not great. As mentioned earlier, changing white/black hot options and adjusting brightness and contrast can help as well to allow you to see the foil/tape.

I used a couple of old frying pans when I had a thermal a while back. Heated them up then hung them as targets. Really, any metal would work heated with a propane torch.

Back