What Stock to buy McMillian or HS Precision ?

Going to up grade my Winchester Model 70 Stock in a post 64 in .264 Win Mag. Looking for hunting stock. What to buy & why what are your pros & cons of the diffrent Stocks.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerI'd buy the one that didn't use Lon Horiuchi as their spokesman.

But that's just my crazy opinion.

+1 , gave up on midway for carrying their products. I have two Mcmillians, great
fit and finish. Light and strong. They do carry a hefty price these days though.

This:

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerI'd buy the one that didn't use Lon Horiuchi as their spokesman.

But that's just my crazy opinion.

...end of thread....

Tom Manners is a very nice guy to talk to. Pretty good when you are having a little problem and you get to talk to Tom on the phone and when he cant figure it out he goes down to George Gardners shop and calls you from there with George to figure out the problem. I cant say enough good things on how Manners has treated me. Mcmillan builds super stuff as well.

About 6 years ago I purchased an H-S for my .243 Varminter. Put it on and went to the gun range. My groups(?) were all over the place. Went home. loosened up the stock and tightened it up again. Also checked my scope rings. OK. Back to the gun range ...Same thing, all over the place. So my brother says all you changed was the stock. Went home again!! Took the H-S off. When I released the trigger screws enough, the action literally jumped from the stock! Yes I had torqued the screws in proper sequence and the proper inch-pounds. Put the factory laminated,glassbedded stock back on and went out to the range AGAIN. Five shots...All touching! Sent the stock back never visited them again. So for me personally, I won't buy another H-S. However, my next door neighbor has one and no problems at all. Go figure.

I own several of each and I have not had any problems with either. They are different enough that I think you could like one and not the other and the next guy might think 180 degrees differently. Both are good aftermarket stocks IMO.

LOL.... I'd buy either one today in spite of their old political snafu's...

I have one Mickey and several H-S stocks. If I didn't get a steal on the Mickey, I probably would only have H-S. No complaints on either stock, but my McMillian is by far my favorite.

McMillan is the easy choice. If I want to spend less, I have come to prefer B&C over H-S. Better price, better ergos......

MCM or Manners +1000, not even a fair comparision. B&C or HS after that. I have a had time putting into words but to me when I pick up either or the first 2 I know I am holding a quality product. The fit and finish, the inletting, the paint, and how they sound when you bump the but stock( meaning not hollow or packing foam filled)all add up to a better product to me. They do cost more but I feel they are worth it.
I had a rear sling stud cross thread in a B & C Rem 700 TI stock. We cut it open, took out the messed up part and then re glassed the hole. It had a very lite foam for a core.

Last edited:
Back