What states can you use a 223 for deer?

I've never used a 22 on deer, but they're very popular here in the south. The deer tend to be small. There is simply no shortage of people who think -based on years of field use- that there simply isn't a better deer rifle than a 22-250.

I'm not unwilling to use one for deer, but I prefer larger calibers for the job myself.

LEGAL WEAPONS FOR ANTELOPE and DEER
NE Game and Parks (www.http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/)

Firearm Season:
rifles that deliver at least 900 ft. lbs of energy at 100 yards;
handguns that deliver at least 400 ft. lbs of energy at 50 yards;
muzzleloading rifles .44 cal. or larger;
muzzleloadering muskets .62 caliber or larger, firing a single slug;
shotguns of 20 gauge or larger that fire a single slug;
crossbows that have a draw weight of 125 pounds or more.
Semi-automatic firearms capable or holding more than six cartridges are NOT allowed.

Legal in NE. Also, during rifle deer season if you are hunting anyting else (i.e. wil-e-coyote, you must have an unfilled deer permit to carry anything besides rim-fires)...

Quote:
§353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b) through (g), title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by section 350, title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding bullets.....

Yes here in Kali. too. And this includes Bear and Elk

Richard

Last edited:
Missouri allows it, in fact they allow any Centerfire, single projectile gun for deer hunting...not a wise move in my opinion...but that is just me.

I would consider using one on the larger northern deer but I dont see a problem around here a large one seems to be 130lbs.

Last edited:
Yes, legal in Alabama. Haven't used one myself but my son shot two this year with a .223 WSSM, one bang-flop kill, the other ran about 40 yards. No exit holes, no blood trail. This with 55 gr. factory loads. With handloads/heavier bullets I would not hesitate to use the standard .223 on our small/medium size deer, especially if hunting open fields with no brush to interfere (not that I subscribe to the "brush buster" theory). Nosler makes a 60 gr. partition that ought to be good for the purpose. As others have stated, and especially for larger northern or western deer, I'd rather "gun up" a bit from .223 diameter, regardless of the specific cartridge.

Illegal in Minnesota.

From the MN reg's book.

Legal Big Game Rifle & Pistol Cartridges & Shotgun Shells
M.S.A 97B.031
At Least .23 caliber and case length of at least 1.285 inches

Back