What scope magnification do you like for your calling rig?

I just purchased a 4x14x50 Loopy.....I think the 14 on high end will suit me fine!!! Lots of good input in this thread. Always interesting to me to know what others are using out there.

I used the same scope for years. I now have 3x18 VX 6 scopes on calling rifles. Great scopes that made me sell the Europeans.

I prefer a 4x16. 4 power is low enough for my area of the sandhills where shots under 1oo are few and far between and 16 is just the ticket for when they hang up out there

Ok so this thread has been asleep for a while. I run a Zeiss 3-12 x 56 because I love the low light ability. I've tried many, many scope combos!

Regardless of which way you go, always remember to crank it down to low mag when you start calling! Over the years I've missed a couple dogs because the scope was cranked up and a dog would come blitzing in from the side and I'd raise the gun, not be able to find the dog, then try and crank the magnification back down...and by that time I was scrooged!

Last edited:
Overall a 2-7 or 2.5-10. I also have a 1.5-5 vx3. I really like the 1.5-5 overall for calling, and I am confident I can hit a coyote to 300, but they are almost always 150 yards or less. It is easy to get on them at 10 yards too. The only reason I like the 2-7 or 2.5-10 is that I like to shoot jacks too. It is also nice when sighting in. What I do not like about the 2.5-10 is the one I have is heavy and bulky. I prefer the scope to be slim and trim.

I love my Leupold VX-6 2-12 with the illuminated Firedot reticle. The low end 2X is perfect for close up animals (90% of my shots)and the 12X is more than enough for anything that may hang up way out there. I will NEVER buy another scope that does not have an illuminated reticle! It makes killin' almost to easy
smile.gif

4.5-14X on all of my rifles. 4.5X is low enough with good field of view for anything really close and 14X takes me out to as far as i could possibly shoot with my rigs.

I like the lower power scopes because the FOV is huge when on low power. The Leupold vx6 2-12x42 is about perfect on a .243 calling rifle imho.

Back