What recorder for use with video

Have you tried shielded tape to wrap the wires individually. Or do you think the problem is at the Y or maybe a feed back problem.. Back in the days when i had kick [beeep] built engines and loud stereos we would get interference because of the plug wires..Most of us went with braided grounded plug wires. Along with eliminating the static they looked good also..Dan

I did not try shielded tape. I had one of those ferrite rings that you put Around the cord that supposed to help with interference, but it made no difference. The tape couldn’t hurt, and it’s worth a try if you have some.

When I dissected my Hogster cable, I found that in the Y junction there is a small circuit board that acts as a terminal connection with soldered joints. The main cable is shielded very good, but at this Y junction it is not. I suspected that is where the problems are since both video and power comes together here in an un-shielded environment.

Ok,my battery on hogster died tonight,I hooked up my new battery and that was a trial and error job. Had to move it like 3 times on the rail..I turned on the hogster and it worked great,but when I went to turn the hogster off,the check came up and I do like I always did to power it down.Well it went off for a second and kicked back on..I repeated steps over again and the same thing each time. I had to unplug the power supply to shut it down..what am I doing wrong..I believe I am supposed to turn power off before I unplug unit but it would not let me power it down from the menu..Dan

From what I am understanding the Hogster performed as designed. Here is how it works. If you run on external battery only, there is no way to turn off the scope without unplugging it from the battery. When you choose the checkmark, it will save any changes to your settings, but it does not power down.

If you run on internal batteries only, the scope will always power down when you select the check mark.

If you run internal batteries and external battery, the only way the power down works appropriately is if you start on internal batteries, and then plug in the battery pack. The scope will switch to battery pack, and if the external dies or you disconnect, the scope will stay running and switch over the internal batteries. It will also allow you to shut down the scope. This may seem kind of odd, but it is the way it is designed. It is just something to get used to.

I was confused because reading the directions it said to always turn off unit before removing the batteries.If don't, it can cause damage to the unit. Contradicting to how supposed to remove power supply while still fires up.. Also can I run Energizer lithium photo cr123 in the unit or what would battery would give me the longest run time.. Not going to use power pack to run it as a scanner..Dan

Any 123s can be used for the Hogsters as long as they are 3 volt which they pretty much all should be. Any Lithium type battery should be decent. I haven't tested CR123s to see which provide the best life.

Should I set the mode to 3.7V when using the external battery and why is there two modes a 3 and 3.7 but not a 5v for external battery..Thank you for the time to answer these questions Kirsch and others on this forum. It is very appreciated and we get answers alot quicker than if we had to contact the company our selves. Dan

For external, nothing needs to be set as you can see the battery meter changes in the corner, as the scope knows an external power supply is being used. Just make sure it is a 5V power supply which most will be.

3v is for standard 123 batteries. 3.7v is for rechargeable 123 batteries. The Hogster's circuitry is designed to handle both. The issue is this market is really not tested. Many manufacturers produce batteries that produce different voltages, along with cheap chargers that overcharge batteries. You then throw weapon recoil on top of this, and there is a risk.

Bering Optics has a warning about using rechargeable 123s in their owner's manual. If damage occurs to the Hogster due to using rechargeable 123s, the warranty will not cover the damage, and the thermal will need to serviced on the customer's money. I asked Bering if they have had any service issues so far with the Hogster due to the use of rechargeable 123s.They said not at this point. However, they have had incidences in other Night Vision devices where there was a battery leak and/or fire due to rechargeable 123 batteries. They are being careful by stating the warranty as they can't control the battery manufacturing process.

Maybe we are off the topic, but I still ask you for a little help. Yesterday a mountain hunter asked me how to record a video until he shoots a chamois with a traditional lens riflescope. Is there a not too expensive device to record during the day? Thank you all in advance

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ernest49Maybe we are off the topic, but I still ask you for a little help. Yesterday a mountain hunter asked me how to record a video until he shoots a chamois with a traditional lens riflescope. Is there a not too expensive device to record during the day? Thank you all in advance There are lots of digital scopes that allow for recording such as a Sightmark Wraith, or ATN 4K, etc. However, I know you said using their traditional lens riflescope.

The best option I know of is Tactacam FTS. This mounts around the scope. It allows recording, while still allowing the hunter to look through the scope. I haven't used it personally. At over $500 US, I wouldn't call it cheap, but it is appears to be exactly what is being asked for.

Originally Posted By: Krockus [video:youtube][/video] As the video shows, SiOnyx is much better in low light. It is what I use for Night Video that isn’t recorded via scope. There is no good way to record through a glass scope with it though and is where the Tactacam FTS should work.

Thank you, I have given your information to the hunter friend. I don't know if these devices (not really cheap) can be purchased in Italy ....

Kirsch,what issues was you having with recording and battery pack..I got mine working and I took a minute video and haven't seen any issues nor static in video.. I have external battery hooked up also and I am running that 2 into 1 and everything looks good at play back....Dan

If you watch the following video and move to 3:37 seconds, that video is an example of the interference that I would see when running the battery pack and recording at the same time. You should be able to see the horizontal lines in the video image.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49Maybe we are off the topic, but I still ask you for a little help. Yesterday a mountain hunter asked me how to record a video until he shoots a chamois with a traditional lens riflescope. Is there a not too expensive device to record during the day? Thank you all in advance

Another option if you have a spotting scope looking at your target is to get a TinesUp PhoneCam adapter. You can attach your smartphone to a spotting scope and video this way. It works great, you just would not get video of the cross hairs at the shot. You can PM me for a link if you are interested.

Originally Posted By: KrockusAnyone got a video on the hogster 25 using the zoom feature to get an idea what it looks like on higher mag..Dan I don't unfortunately. Hopefully, another PM who has a 25 can get some. I had a test unit for a few days. You have probably seen this video before but the following shows the 25 and 35 together. You will get a feel for the FOV and magnification difference. If you watch the PIP window on the right side (25mm side), you can get an idea of what it would look like at 2.8x as this is what is displayed.

Dx600 recorder. It came with no directions and looked on line and I seen another review that said no direction came with theirs... I got it working so it records.. It came with a rocker switch can someone tell me what it is for and where to plug it in at..Thank you...Dan

Back